Location: East side of Blackford street, between Vermont and Michigan streets.
A frame chapel, erected on the above stated site in 1864, for the purposes of a Mission Sabbath-School, was purchased in the autumn of 1866, by the Third Church, into whose control the School then passed. In October, 1867, it was organized by the authority of the Indianapolis Presbytery, as the Fifth Presbyterian Church, with eighteen members: twelve from the Third, and one from the First Presbyterian Churches of this city, and five from churches elsewhere located. The exercise incident to the organization were conducted by Revs. George C. Heckman, L. G. Hay, W. W. Sickles; and Elders James Blake and Charles N. Todd.
The first, only, and present pastor of the society, is the Rev. William B. Chamberlain, who began his labors as such in the summer of 1869 was ordained in October of that year, and installed in October, 1870.
The chapel is a frame building; cost, with site, $2,000; and will seat two hundred persons.
The growth and prosperity of the society have been such as to demand and warrant a better and more commodious house of worship. For this purpose a desirable site has been secured on the south-west corner of Michigan and Blackford streets; where excavation is now being made for a new building, to be of brick, cruciform, with a fine tower; having a basement for Sabbath-School and other purposes; and an audience room with a capacity to seat four hundred and fifty persons. The cost of the new structure will be from $12000 to $15,000. The society expect to occupy the basement by the fall of 1872, and hope to complete the building within two or three years.
The number of members is about one hundred and fifty. The Sabbath-School has two hundred and fifty members.
Holloway, W. R., Indianapolis, a Historical and Statistical Sketch of the Railroad City, a Chronicle of Its Social, Municipal, Commercial and Manufacturing Progress, with Full Statistical Tables, © 1870, p. 212.