Location: Corner of Fletcher avenue and Cedar street.
This parish was organized as a "Mission Sunday School of Christ Church," in July, 1866, at the residence of James Meade, No. 50, Forest avenue, by Rev. C. C. Tate, Assistant Minister of Christ Church. The attendance upon the services of the young society augumented to such an extent, that increased accommodations soon became necessary. Steps were accordingly taken to build a chapel on the north-east corner of Fletcher avenue and Cedar street, which had been donated for that purpose by S. A. Fletcher, Jr. The required amount for building the chapel, $1,800, was raised by the members of Christ Church--mainly through the exertions of the Rev. C. C. Tate, and of that earnest worker, the Rev. J. P. T. Ingraham, Rector of Christ Church, who was the moving spirit of the enterprise.
The chapel, in size, twenty-five by forty feet, beside the chancel and robing-room, was opened for public worship on the afternoon of the Epiphany Sunday, January 6, 1867, the services being conducted by the Revs. J. P. T. Ingraham and C. C. Tate. The singing exercises were assisted by a cabinet organi, the gift of Miss C. J. Farrell. The chapel then took the name of the Holy Innocents. Regular afternoon services were held by Rev. Mr. Tate, until the following July, when he resigned as Assistant Minister of Christ Church, to accept the Rectorship of St. Paul's Church, Columbus, Ohio. At the latter date, Mr. Willis D. Engle, was elected Superintendent of the Sunday School, the afternoon services being conducted by the Rev. J. P. T. Ingraham, assisted by a lay-reader. During this time the chapel building was further improved through the exertions of the few who labored there.
January 1st, 1868, the Rev. George B. Engle, as Assistant Minister of Christ Church, took charge of the Mission, and continued to serve in that capacity, until January 4th, 169, when, with the consent of the Bishop, and the concurrence of the other parishes in the city, the Church of the Holy Innocents was organized, with a membership of about thirty. The first officers of the Church were:
A Willis Gorrell, Senior Warden; William A. Taylor, Junior Warden; Ansel B. Denton, George Davidson, Daniel S. Moulton, David B. Hunt, Edwin Vickers, Thomas V. COok, and Willis D. Engle, Vestrymen; Willis D. Engle, Secretary and Treasurer.
A call was extended to the Rev. George B. Engle to become the rector of the church, and was accepted.
On Easter Monday, March 29th, 1869, the same officers were re-elected, except John Boswell, whose place as vestryman, was filled by the election of Joseph Thompson. Willis D. Engle was elected as delegate to represent the parish in the Diocesan Convention.
On Easter Monday, April 10th, 1871, the following officers were elected:
A. Willis Gorrell, Senior Warden; William A. Taylor, Junior Warden; Ansel B. Denton, John Algeo, George Davidson, D. B. Hunt, James Meade, Daniel S. Moulton, and Willis D. Engle, Vestrymen. Willis D. Engle, Secretary; William A. Taylor, Treasurer; and Willis D. Engle, delegate to represent the Parish in the Diocesan Convention.
During the fall of last year, considerable expenditures were made in improvements on the church building, in neatly inclosing it, and in adorning the grounds with shrubbery and shade trees.
The membership at this time is about sixty. The Sunday-School numbers eighteen teachers, and one hundred and forty pupils. The seats are all free. The rector's salary is paid by subscription, and the current expenses by the offertory.
Holloway, W. R., Indianapolis, a Historical and Statistical Sketch of the Railroad City, a Chronicle of Its Social, Municipal, Commercial and Manufacturing Progress, with Full Statistical Tables, © 1870, pp. 205-206.