Location: South-west corner of Ohio and Delaware streets.
This society was organized on the 12th January, 1833. Dr. John H. Sanders and Peter H. Roberts were its first ruling elders. The number of names enrolled at the time of organization was twenty. Eld. John O'Kane may appropriately be considered the Father of this church. He visited the city in the latter part of 1832, and started the movement that led to the organization of the society, of which he was the first preacher.
During the early history of the church, and when it most needed aid, Ovid Butler, Esq., Robert A. Taylor, (since deceased, and father of Hon. Napoleon B. Taylor, of this city), Dr. John H. Sanders, (father of Mrs. Governor Wallace, Mrs. R. B. Duncan and Mrs. Dr. Gatling, of this city), and Mr. Charles Secrest, were fast and liberal friends of the enterprise, and contributed freely to its support.
Elder O'Kane, J. L. Jones, M. Combs, L. H. Jameson, A. Prather and others visited the city during the early years of the church, to hold protracted meetings, which were generally successful. B. K. Smith, and Elder Chauncey Butler were resident laborers in this service. Through these instrumentalities the church gradually grew in strength; and a house of worship was built in the summer of 1836, on Kentucky avenue.
On the 1st October, 1842, at the instance of Elder O'Kane, Elder L. H. Jameson became resident evangelist, in which services he continued until 1853. During the latter year the congregation occupied the present church edifice. At this date the membership had increased to three hundred and seventy-five.
The succession of pastors thenceforward was: Elders James M. Mathes, or one year; L. H. Jameson, one year; Elder Elijah Goodwin, three years; Elder Perry Hall, three years; Elder O. A. Burgess, seven years; Elder W. F. Black, the present pastor, who has served the church for two years.
Christian Chapel ranks among the leading churches of the city. The present number of members is about six hundred. The Sabbath-School has about two hundred members.
The church building is quite plain externally; but is attractively furnished and appointed within.
The value of the building and site is about $35,000.
Holloway, W. R., Indianapolis, a Historical and Statistical Sketch of the Railroad City, a Chronicle of Its Social, Municipal, Commercial and Manufacturing Progress, with Full Statistical Tables, © 1870, p. 222.