William H. Wishard, M.D., was the eldest son of John and Agnes H. Wishard, born in Nicholas County, Ky., Jan. 17,
1816. The family was Scotch-Irish in their nationality. His father emigrated to Indiana, and settled on the Bluff road,
nine and one-half miles south of Indianapolis, where they pitched their camp on the evening of Oct. 26, 1825. His father
had purchased the land in 1824, came out in the following spring, cleared some land, and put in a crop of corn, potatoes,
and turnips. The first night after their arrival the wolves were heard howling near their camp, which, however, was no
unusual thing for years after that time.
William H. Wishard was then in his tenth year, and being the eldest, had to hunt the cows in the woods, do the errands,
and go to mill, and many were the exciting scenes he passed through. On one occasion, in the fall of 1826, when returning
from mill late at night, alone in the darkness of a dense forest, and one and a quarter miles from any settler's cabin, he
suddenly came upon a pack of wolves snarling over a wounded deer that they had just caught. It was an unpleasant
situation for a boy of twelve years to find his only pathway blocked by fifteen or twenty hungry wolves; but he kept his
presence of mind, and, passing around through the brushwood on one side as rapidly and silently as possible, escaped
from the beasts, and reached his father's house in safety.
Many a night in his boyhood he spent at the old Bayou, and Patterson's, and Bacon's mills, waiting for his grist to be
ground. His educational advantages were very limited, attending only the winter schools of the pioneer days, taught by
teachers of very meagre capacity and attainments. The spring and summer seasons were spent in attending to the crops
and helping to clear land.
Having passed the early years of his life in this manner, he, at the age of twenty-two years, commenced the study of
medicine with Dr. Benjamin S. Noble, of Greenwood, Johnson Co., and entered into partnership with him in the spring of
1840, which partnership continued for ten years. He was married to Harriet N. Moreland, daughter of the Rev. John R.
Moreland, the second pastor of the First Presbyterian Church of Indianapolis. They had nine children born to them, —
four sons and five daughters. The first four, one son and three daughters, died in infancy and childhood. The others are
living, viz.: Dr. William N., of the City Hospital of Indianapolis; Albert W., an attorney of the city ; Dr. George W., of
Indianapolis ; Harriet J. ; and Elizabeth.
During the war of 1861-65, Dr. Wishard served two years as a volunteer surgeon, after which he commenced the practice
of medicine in the neighborhood where his early years were passed, and where from the first he had a large practice. In
October, 1876, he was elected coroner of the county and removed from Southport to Indianapolis, where he has remained
ever since. After serving four years as coroner he returned to the practice of medicine, which, however, he had not
entirely relinquished. He is now in the sixty-ninth year of his age. and in full vigor for one of his years. He has practiced
medicine in Morgan, Johnson, and Marion Counties longer than any man now living in the county, and still holds a large
practice, after forty-four years of service as a physician.
Sulgrove, B. R., History of Indianapolis and Marion County, Indiana, Philadelphia: L.H. Everts & Co., 1884, 785 pgs.,