Was among those who came to this place in the year
1821. He was directly from Jennings County, where he had lived a short time
prior to his coming here. He was
originally from Cynthiana, Harrison
Patterson had a large family of children (about ten) when he first came, with
the addition of several after he came to this place. Those of his children that are yet living
still remain in the city and neighborhood.
Patterson, the eldest son, lives on his farm adjoining the city, where he has
lived for the last thirty-five years, and near his old mill, where he carried
on milling for many years. This mill was
originally built by his father-in-law, Isaac Wilson, and was the first built in
the new purchase. It has been abandoned
for some years, and the water power, which was so valuable, turned and used in
the mill near the west end of Washington
Patterson, the second son, and as noble hearted a man as ever lived, was killed
in Green County, in 1851, by being thrown from a
wagon while the horses were running away.
He lived but a few hours after being found.
the third son, is the present engineer and surveyor for the city. He has been engaged in this business for
nearly thirty years, and is very proficient in that line.
James M. Patterson, the fourth son, was, for many years, engaged in the livery business. In the year 1862 he fell from his chair and expired in a few moments. He was sitting at his table door, apparently in good health. It was thought he died of apoplexy. There are two of Robert Patterson’s daughters yet living, one the wife of the Hon. David Macy, President of the Peru and Indianapolis Railroad, and one of our most enterprising citizens. The other is the wife of James L. Southard, secretary of the company above referred to.
Patterson was for many years Probate and Associate Judge of the county. He has done a great deal o work on the
National road and canals. He also had
the contract for delivering the laws to the different county seats. This was before we had railroads, and wagons
were brought into requisition. He
brought the first pair of mill-stones that came to the new purchase, in 1821,
for the mill built by Isaac Wilson, and owned by his son, Samuel J. Patterson,
for several years.
Nowland, John H. B., “Early Reminiscences of Indianapolis, with Short Biographical Sketches of Its Early Citizens, and of a Few of the Prominent Business Men of the Present Day,” 1870, pp. 120-121.