Home‎ > ‎Biographies‎ > ‎

Coe, Dr. Isaac

 
    The memory of this man should ever be revered by the early citizens of Indianapolis, especially by those who were here or had friends here in that ever memorable year of sickness and death, 1821.  He came to this place in May of that year, and was the only physician able to render any assistance to the people during the two months of sickness, August and September.

    The Doctor had brought a large supply of Peruvian bark and wine, which was the only thing with which he could conquer the fever and ague.  Had it not been for his untiring services the mortality of that year would have been much greater.  He could be seen at almost any time of night dodging through the woods (in his gig, and by the light of his lantern), from one cabin to another, administering to the sick in other ways as well as giving medicine.

    After the sickness had abated he was prominent in forwarding and promoting the interests of the settlers in other ways.  He was active with Messrs. Ray and Blake in organizing the first Sabbath-school, the first church and the first Bible society. 

    Dr. Coe was, for several years, one of the three fund commissioners of the State, in connection with the late Caleb B. Smith, and Samuel Hanna, of Fort Wayne.

    He was a native of the State of New Jersey, and, as above stated, came to this place in May, 1821.  He first settled on the bank of Fall Creek, just below where the Crawfordsville State road crosses that stream, and lived there several years.  He then bought a lot, and built a house on Circle street, about equi-distant between the "Journal " buildings and Christ (Episcopal) Church, where he remained during his residence in this city.

    Dr. Coe was ever active in all benevolent or charitable associations calculated to benefit the poor and unfortunate, without regard to their religion. 

    The few years previous to his death he spent in some portion of the West with his friends.  His remains were brought to Indianapolis for interment, and now rest in Crown Hill Cemetery.

            "Here will I rest, until the day declines,
              A voiceless pilgrim toward the land of song,
            And, like a sentinel, the herald signs
              Of him whose coming hath been stayed too long."



Nowland, John H. B., “Early Reminiscences of Indianapolis, with Short Biographical Sketches of Its Early Citizens, and of a Few of the Prominent Business Men of the Present Day,” 1870, pp. 104-105.

Comments