Samuel Canby, whose ancestors were of English extraction, was the son of Dr. Benjamin H. Canby and his wife, Sarah Taylor, of Virginia. He was born in Leesburg, Loudoun Co., Va., on the 12th of April, 1800. Here his early years were spent in the pursuit of such educational advantages as the schools of the neighborhood afforded. On attaining the years of manhood he removed with the family to Boone County, Ky., where his father purchased a farm on the banks of the Ohio River, at East Bend, Bacon Co., and was assisted in the cultivation and improvement of the land by his son. Samuel Canby was married, in April, 1827, to Miss Elizabeth De Pew, of Boone County, Ky., granddaughter of John De Pew, who emigrated from England and settled in Virginia. The latter had eight children, of whom Abram, the father of Mrs. Canby, married Mildred Sebree, whose parents were john and Mildred Johnson Sebree. The former was a Revolutionary soldier, and died at the siege of Yorktown. He was the companion of Gen. George Rogers Clark in his expedition against the British posts in the West. In 1837, Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Canby removed to Marion County, Ind., in company with an uncle, John H. Canby, a gentleman of the old school, who possessed ample means, and had many years before retired from business. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and much esteemed for his many Christian virtues. His death occurred Feb. 8, 1844, at the age of seventy-one years. Mr. and Mrs. Canby located upon a farm in Centre township, two miles from the city of Indianapolis, where they continued the congenial pursuits of the agriculturist during the former’s lifetime. Mr. Canby enjoyed the reputation of being a model farmer, and one of the most successful in the county. The home of Mr. and Mrs. Canby was the seat of a generous hospitality, and proverbial for the welcome and good cheer afforded alike to guest or traveler. In politics the subject of this sketch was a Democrat, though his innate modesty and the demands of his private business alike prevented active participation in the political events of the day. He was reared in the Quaker faith, and with his wife became a member of the Roberts park Methodist Episcopal Church of Indianapolis. Mr. Canby, in 1874, erected a spacious dwelling in the latter city, to which he removed on its completion. He survived this change of residence but two weeks, and died on the 16th of October, 1874. His remains are interred in the beautiful Crown Hill Cemetery. His widow, with her sister, Miss De Pew, now occupies the city home. Mrs. Mildred De Pew, the mother of Mrs. Canby, died at the home of her daughter at the advanced age of eighty-eight years, and is buried in Crown Hill Cemetery. She was a lady of genial nature, great force of character, and remarkable Christian faith.
Sulgrove, B. R., History of Indianapolis and Marion County, Indiana; Philadelphia: L.H. Everts & Co., 1884, 785 pgs., p. 503.