Brief mention has already been made, in the general historical portion of this volume, of the various Benevolent Institutions located in or near this city. The ensuing pages will now give a more particular description of these.
THE INDIANA HOSPITAL FOR THE INSANE.
One of the most efficient and successfully administered institutions of the kind in the country is beautifully located two and a half miles west of the city, on the continuation of Washington street. It was founded by an act of the General Assembly of the State in 1847.
The administration of the institution is under the general direction and supervision of the Board of Commissioners, now composed of three gentlemen, namely: Dr. P. H. Jameson, of Indianapolis, President; and Dr. James H. Woodburn, and John M. Caldwell, Esq., of Indianapolis. The other principal officers consist of a Superintendent, two Physicians, a Steward and a Matron.
The institution was opened for the reception of patients in 1848.
The main building consists of a central building and two wings. The latter extend from each end of the center structure laterally and backward, giving to the front a broken, receding range. The entire linear extent of the edifice is 624 feet. The three principal parts of the building, as it now stands, were erected at as many different periods: the center, in 1847-8; the south wing in 1853-6; and the north in 1866-9. Each addition has had the effect to somewhat impair the architectural symmetry and unity of the original design.
The structure is built of brick, trimmed with dressed stone. Its architecture, though it cannot strictly be classed with any distinct order, may be appropriately be termed a modification of the Plain Doric. The Doric is dimly shown in the square columnar projections on the corners and faces of the walls, rising from the basement story to the entablature, and surmounted by capitals in imitation of that order.
The architrave, frieze, and cornice more nearly correspond with the Doric than any other style. All the principal elevations, though modified in the details o the wings, have the same general features. The cornice elevation of the center and of the first principal sections, is 57 feet. The center building is surmounted by an octagonal belvidere 17 feet in diameter; and in height 36 feet from the superior line of the roof. The elevation to the top of the balustrade on the belvidere, is 103 feet.
The center building has five stories, inclusive of basement and a superior or half story. The basement is used for store rooms, etc.; the second story for offices, public parlor, dispensary, officers' dining room, etc.; the third and fourth stories for private rooms for the Superintendent and other officers; and the fifty story is occupied by the female employes.
The wings are three and four stories in height, and are entirely occupied by wards for the patients. The entire capacity of the wards is about five hundred patients.
Forty-four feet in the rear of the center building, and connected with it by a wooden corridor three stories in height, is the chapel building, 50x60 feet, the first floor of which contains the general kitchen, bakery, dining rooms for the employes, etc.; the second, the steward's office, sewing room, rooms for employes, etc.; and the third floor is entirely occupied by the chapel, having sating accommodations for three hundred persons.
Immediately in the rear of the chapel building is the engine building, 60x50 feet; the first floor of which contains the requisite boilers for heating all of the buildings throughout, and the pumps of the water-works -- connected with which are six fire-plugs to furnish hose attachments in case of a fire breaking out. The second floor is occupied by the laundry, and the third by rooms or the male employes.
Additional to the foregoing buildings, is a carpenter shop, 30x50 feet, and two stories in height, containing the ordinary machinery, etc.
The north wing was constructed under the direction of the present Board of Commissioners, and is superior in its style, workmanship and adaptation to its uses.
The south wing and portions of the center would bear some remodeling and improvements.
the entire building is lighted by gas. It has complete water works, of the Holly system, for supplying water throughout the institution, and for the extinguishment of fires, should occasion arise; also, an apparatus for forced upward ventilation.
The grounds of the institution consist of 160 acres -- the buildings being situated near the center on a slight eminence. Of this area, about 40 acres are set apart for the immediate grounds surrounding the buildings; they are liberally adorned with shade trees, shrubbery, etc.; and are suitably laid out with walks, drives, etc. Twenty acres are contained in a forest grove; and the remainder is used for agricultural purposes, being tilled by the patients.
The original cost of these grounds was but $4,000. They are now worth, at a low estimate, $50,000.
Under its management for several years past, the institution has attained a superior degree of efficiency and usefulness-- "worthy alike of the wealth, intelligence and humanity of its patrons, the people of the State."
During the year ending October 31st, 1870, 792 patients were under treatment -- a much larger number than during any previous year; and indicative, not so much of an unusual increase in insanity, as of the increased capacity of the institution. During the same time, 317 patients were discharged; of whom 187 were restored; 19 improved; and 59 not improved. There were 51 deaths during the year.
The increasing demands on the institution necessitate the enlargement of the south wing at an early day, at an estimated cost of $50,000.
The expenditures during the past year were $122,745.96.
During the past 22 years, 4,431 patients have been treated in the institution; in regard of whom the following statistics are of interest:
Former Occupation - Males. - Bakers, 6; Bankers, 2; Brewers, 2; Brickmakers, 5; Blacksmiths, 39; Butchers, 7; Clerks, 49; Carpenters, 56; Coopers, 21; Clergymen, 18; Contractor, 1; Cabinet makers, 10; Cigar makers, 3: Confectioner, 1; Chair makers, 4; County officers, 5; Daguerrean artists, 3; Dentists, 3; Druggist, 1; Editors, 2; Engineers, 4; Farmers, 1,291; Fullers, 5; Foundrymen, 4; Gunsmiths, 8; Hatters, 3; Hotel keepers, 3; Hunters, 2; Harness makers, 4; Laborers, 226; Lawyers, 9; Locksmiths, 2; Mechanics, 9; Merchants, 61; Miners, 4; Musicians, 2; Machinists, 7; Manufacturers, 34; Millers, 19; Millwrights, 2; No occupation, 64; Physicians, 17; Plasterers, 22; Pump makers, 3; Printers, 9; Painters, 15; Peddlers, 6; Potters, 3; Railroad men, 7; Shoemakers, 30; Slater, 1; Stone masons, 3; Saloon keepers, 3; Steamboatmen, 2; Saddlers, 8; Soldiers, 36; Students, 16; Tanners, 3; Telegrapher, 1; Teachers, 28; Tailors, 24; Tinners, 6; Traders, 9; Tragedian 1; Upholsterers, 1; Wagon makers, 15; Weavers, 7; Watchmakers, 5; Watchmen, 3.
Females - Actress, 1; Housework, 1,982; Mantua maker, 1; No occupation, 52; Paper makers, 2; School girls, 33; Tailoresses, 29; Teachers, 41.
Ages of Patients when Admitted - Under 20 years, 396; from 20 to 25 years, 688; from 25 to 30 years, 723; from 30 to 35 years, 624; from 35 to 40 years, 558; from 40 to 45 years, 423; from 45 to 50 years, 404; from 5o to 55 years, 277; from 55 to 60 years, 144; from 60 to 65 years, 106; from 65 to 70 years, 50; from 70 to 75 years, 32; from 80 to 85 years, 4; from 85 to 90 years, 2.
The present officers are: President of the Board of Commissioners, Dr. P. H. Jameson; Commissioners, John M. Caldwell and Dr. James H. Woodburn; Superintendent, Dr. Orpheus Evarts; Physicians, Drs. W. W. Hester and W. J. Elstun; Steward, Charles W. Test; Matron, Mrs. Mary Everts. The officers and employs number nearly one hundred.
The succession of Superintendents has been as follows: Dr. John Evans, Dr. ____ Patterson, Dr. James S. Athon, Dr. James H. Woodburn, Dr. Wilson Lockhart, Dr. Orpheus Evarts, the present Superintendent.
The whole cost of the buildings and grounds has been about $375,000 -- a much less sum than their real value to-day. It would require $600,000, perhaps, to purchase the site and erect and furnish such a hospital, if required at this time.
See below for full book citation. Pp. 184-186.
THE INDIANA INSTITUTE FOR THE EDUCATION OF THE BLIND
Is situated very nearly in the center of the most beautiful section of the city. Its site occupies the space of two city blocks, an area of eight acres; bounded on the south by North street; on the west, by Meridian; on the north, by Walnut; on the east by Pennsylvania.
The Institute was founded by an Act of the General Assembly, in 1847, and was first opened, in a rented building, on the first of October of that year. The permanent buildings were completed, and first occupied, in the month of February, 1853. The original cost of buildings and grounds, was $110,000; their present valuation is $300,000. The principal edifice is composed of a center building, having a front of ninety feet, and a depth of sixty-one feet, and is five stories in height; together with two four story wings, each thirty feet in front, by eighty-three feet in depth; making a total frontage of one hundred and fifty feet. Each of these sections of the building is surmounted by a handsome cupola, of the Corinthian order of architecture. The building is mainly constructed of brick, stuccoed in imitation of sand-stone: the basement story being faced with sand-stone ashler, rustic-jointed. The portico of the center building, and verandas on the fronts and sides of the wings, are of sand-stone: the former thirty feet wide by thirty-five feet deep, and extending to the top of the third story. The portico and cornices of the building are of the Ionic order.
In addition to the main structure and usual out-buildings, there is a plain three story brick building, forty by sixty feet, containing the work-shops for the several trades of the pupils.
The number of pupils in attendance during the past year was one hundred and seven; of whom forty-six were males, and sixty-one females.
The corps of officers and instructors is composed as follows:
Trustees.-- P. H. Jameson, President, John Beard, Cass Byfield; Secretary, H. W. Ballard; Superintendent, W. H. Churchman; Teachers in Literary Department, Albert Stewart, Miss S. A. Scofield, Mrs. C. C. Wynn, Miss Kate C. Landis, Miss Mary Maloney; Teachers in Music Department, R. A. Newland, D. Newland; Teachers in Handicraft Department, J. W. Bradshaw, Mrs. S. J. Ballard; Household Officers, J. M. Kitchen, M. D., Physician, H. W. Ballard, Steward, Mrs. A. C. Landis, Matron, Mrs. S. J. Ballard, Girl's Governess.
The Superintendents of the Institution have been: W. H. Churchman, from October 1, 1847, to September 30, 1853; George W. Ames, from October 1, 1853, to September 30, 1855; William C. Larrabee, from October 1, 1855, to January 31, 1857; James McWorkman, from February 1, 1857, to September 10, 1861; W. H. Churchman, the present Superintendent, reappointed October 10, 1861.
The annual appropriation for its maintenance, is about $30,000.
The grounds are handsomely adorned, the government of the Institution excellent, and its efficiency second to none of the kind in the country.
The engraving on another page gives a correct view of the building.
See below for full book citation. Pp. 186-187.
INDIANA INSTITUTE FOR THE DEAF AND DUMB.
This Institution was authorized by an Act of the General Assembly in 1844.
Its location is particularly beautiful, in the eastern suburb of the city, just south of Washington street.
The Institute, proper, consists of three buildings connected by corridors. Two of these buildings were erected in 1848-9; the third in 1869-70.
The front building has a facade of two hundred and sixty feet; and contains the offices, library, general study rooms, officers' and teachers' room, and the dormitories for the pupils. The center of this building is eighty by fifty-four feet and five stories high; the lateral wings sixty by thirty feet, and three stories in height; the transverse wings, thirty by fifty feet and four stories high. The middle building contains the store-rooms, kitchen, laundry, bakery, dining-halls, servants' rooms, hospital, and several school-rooms. It is three stories high: the center being forty by eighty feet; and the wings thirty-two by seventy feet. The rear building contains the chapel and ten school-rooms. It is two stories high; the center being fifty feet square; and the wings forty by twenty feet.
In addition to the above described buildings there are others, detached from them, containing the engine house, wash-house, and the shops for the Industrial Department. The aggregate cost of the buildings has been $220,000.
The grounds comprise one hundred and five acres, worth $1000 per acre. The grounds more directly surrounding the buildings are beautifully laid off in walks, and drives, and are elaborately ornamented with shrubbery and forest trees; and contain, also, a flower garden with conservatory. Appropriate spaces are devoted to the purposes of an orchard, a vegetable garden, and play grounds for the pupils. The remainder, and principal area, is laid off in pasture and farm lots.
Altogether it is one of the most beautiful spots in or about Indianapolis; and must go far to make those for whose benefit it was ordained forget their misfortunes, in the scenes of beauty about them; it reflects the largest credit on the State that founded and has maintained this noble charity; and on the efficiency of the successive managements that have so beautified and adorned the place. Nor have the efforts of officers and teachers to make the Institution useful -- in respect of the intellectual and moral welfare of those committed to their care -- been less successful, than the pains taken to make the grounds ornamental.
The number of pupils in attendance during the past year was two hundred and sixty-four.
The principal officers of the Institute are: Dr. P. H. Jameson, President; Dr. J. M. Kitchen and W. R. Hogshire, Trustees; Thomas McIntire, Superintendent; Dr. F. S. Newcomer, Physician. The following are the Instructors in the Intellectual Department: Horace S. Gillett, A. M., William H. Latham, A.M., M.D., Walter W. Angus, Sidney J. Vail, H. N. MacIntire, William N. Burt, A.M., John L. Houdyshell, Naomi S. Hiatt, Eugene W. Wood, Sarah C. Williams; Teacher of Articulation, Joseph C. Gordon, A.M.
The first Instructor in the Institution was William Willard, a deaf mute, who was employed in 1844, at a salary of $800 per annum. Mr. Willard had previously conducted a small school for the instruction of deaf mutes in this city. He acted as Principal to the Institution until July, 1845; and was succeeded by J. S. Brown, who served as Principal until July 7, 1853. The latter was succeeded by the present Superintendent, Thomas MacIntire who, for seventeen years, has most efficiently discharged his responsible duties.
The annual appropriation for its support has for several years been $44,000.
See below for full book citation. Pp. 187-188.
INDIANA FEMALE PRISON AND REFORMATORY.
This Institution is one of the fruits of the recent agitation for Prison Reform, and of the progress lately made in that field. It had its origin in that wise benevolence that having long noted the defects of the prison system, in its relation to the management and care of female inmates, in 1869 began that agitation for reform in this respect, which resulted in attracting considerable attention to such defects, and in stimulating philanthropy to labor for their correction. The attention of Governor Baker was attracted to the subject of Prison Reform, in which he became very much interested; and to the interest and investigation given the subject by him, is due the first practical step taken toward realizing the idea of the present Indiana Female Prison and Reformatory. To this end he drafted a Bill; and the Legislature endorsed the Governor's recommendation by giving it the authority of a statute. The following extracts from the Act of the Legislature are here quoted, as best explaining the nature and objects of the Institution:
"As soon as the Penal Department of the institution created by this act shall be ready for the reception of inmates, it shall be the duty of the warden of said State Prison, upon the order of the Governor, to transfer and convey to the institution created by this act all the female convicts who may then be confined in said prison, and deliver them to the Superintendent of said institution, with a certified statement in writing, signed by such warden, setting forth the name of each convict, the court by which, and the offence [sic] of, and for which she was convicted and sentenced, the date of the sentence, the term of the court at which sentence was pronounced, and the term for which said convict was sentenced, which certified statement in writing shall be sufficient authority for the confinement of such convict in the institution created by this act, for the portion of the term of such convict which may be and remain unexpired t the time when she shall be transferred to said institution as aforesaid."
The provisions with regard to the Reformatory Department declare that:
"Whenever said institution shall have been proclaimed to be open for the reception of girls in the Reformatory Department thereof, it shall be lawful for said Board of Managers to receive into their care and management, in the said Reformatory Department, girls under the age of fifteen years, who may be committed to their custody, in either of the following mods, to-wit:
First.--When committed by any Judge of a Circuit or Common Pleas Court, either in term time or in vacation, on complaint and due proof by the parent or guardian, that by reason of her incorrigible or vicious conduct, she has rendered her control beyond the power of such parent or guardian, and made if manifestly requisite that from regard to the future welfare of such infant, and for the protection of society, she should be placed under such guardianship.
Second.--When such infant shall be committed by such judge as aforesaid, upon complaint by any citizen, and due proof of such complaint, that such infant is a proper subject for the guardianship of said institution, in consequence of her vagrancy or incorrigible or vicious conduct, and that from moral depravity or otherwise of her parent or guardian, in whose custody she may be, such parent or guardian is incapable or unwilling to exercise the proper care or discipline over such incorrigible or vicious infant.
Third.--When such infant shall be committed by such judge as aforesaid, on complaint and due proof thereof, by the Township Trustee of the township where such infant resides, that such infant is destitute of a suitable home, and of adequate means of obtaining an honest living, or that she is in danger of being brought up to lead and idle and immoral life."
By authority of the Act creating the institution, the Governor appointed Hon. E. B. Martindale, of this city, (who has been succeeded by James M. Ray, of this city,), Ashael D. Stone, of Winchester, (who has been succeeded by Dr. Armstrong, of Carroll county,) and Joseph I. Irwin, of Columbus, a Board of Managers. These gentlemen secured the service of Isaac Hodgson, of this city, who drafted a plan for the proposed prison, which was accepted; but by reason of the fact that the appropriation for the purpose of carrying out the provisions of the act, amounted to only $50,000, the entire plan could not be fully carried out at present.
The building, now nearly completed, is situated just north of the Deaf and Dumb Asylum, between it and the Arsenal, and presents quite a commanding appearance when viewed from the National road. It is a two story brick, with a basement and Mansard roof. It will be one hundred and seventy-four feet long, and is composed of a main building with side wings, and traverse sings at either end. The latter are to have a length of one hundred and nine feet. Standing in front of the central portion of the building, is a dwelling house three stories high, with a basement, which will be occupied by the Superintendent and officers of the Institution, and connects with the Reformatory by a passage way on the first floor.
A building in the rear, and connecting with the Reformatory in the basement and first story by passage ways, will be occupied by large boiler room and bath rooms. A brick ventilating stack seventy feet high will be located here. The style of architecture is "Utilitarian," and exhibits excellent taste on the part of the architect, and practical knowledge of the requirements of such an institution.
Although the present edifice does not embrace the entire plan for the completed building, it is perfect in itself, and contains all that is necessary for the proper working of the institution. The complete plan is for a building with an extreme length of five hundred and twenty-five feet. But several years will necessarily pass before the entire building can be finished, or indeed, before it will be needed.
Owing to the premature adjournment of the last General Assembly, the necessary appropriation for finishing the building, for furnishing it, and for carrying on the institution, was not made. The inauguration of the institution has, therefore, been delayed. The committees of both Houses of the late General Assembly, however, unanimously approved the expenditures already made, the work that has been performed, and the estimates submitted for future appropriations; so that the opening of the institution has only been deferred for a brief period, by the default of the General Assembly.
See below for full book citation. Pp. 188-190.
INDIANA HOUSE OF REFUGE.
The Legislature of Indiana, by an Act approved March 8, 1867, authorized an Institution to be known as "A House of Refuge for the Correction and Reformation of Juvenile Offenders."
To carry out the provisions of this Act the sum of $50,000 was appropriated. The general supervision and government of the Institution is vested in a Board of Control, consisting of three Commissioners, to be appointed by the Governor, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate. The members of the first Bord hold their offices for the respective terms of two, four, and six years, and after this one member of the Board to be appointed in the same manner, every two years, whose term of office shall continue for six years.
The following gentlemen were the first Board, viz: Charles F. Coffin, Esq., of Wayne county, Hon. A. C. Downey, of Ohio county and General Joseph Orr, of Laporte county.
The Board held their first meeting in the Governor's rooms in Indianapolis, Ind., on the 23d day of April, 1867, and organized by electing Charles F. Coffin, President. The Board then resolved to visit and examine the Reform School at Chicago, Ill., the House of Refuge at Cincinnati, O., and the Ohio State Reform Schools, at Lancaster, O. After a full examination and consideration of the merits of these institutions for the reformation of juvenile offenders, the Board unanimously adopted what is known as the "Family System," (in imitation of the Ohio State Reform Schools,) s contra-distinguished from the "congregate plan." This system divides the inmates of the Institution into families of fifty boys each--each family having a separate house and proper family officers. The officers to each family are a House Father (who has the immediate charge of the family of boys) assisted by an Elder Brother; all the families are under the jurisdiction of a common Superintendent.
It was contemplated by the founders of the Institution, and by the legislature calling it into existence, that it should be located at some suitable point near Indianapolis, combining the several necessary conditions. Manifestly it should not be located so near a large city as to allure unruly and truant inmates from the quiet and discipline of the Institution to the temptations of the city. In view of this and other essential considerations controlling its location, Governor Baker selected and established a site for the institution, three-fourths of a mile south of Plainfield, in Hendricks county, on the line of the Indianapolis, Terre Haute, Vandalia and St. Louis Railway, fourteen miles west of Indianapolis. The site is very eligible one: being easy of access from all parts of the State.
The farm upon which the institution is located contains two hundred and twenty-five acres; combining beauty of location with fertility of soil; and particularly favored with running streams affording an abundant and unfailing supply of water for the use of the institution, and for the needs of the live stock on the farm. The site of the buildings is a beautiful plateau, about eighteen feet above the level of the adjacent valley.
The engraving on another page will serve to give a good general idea of the appearance of the buildings and grounds.
The Board, with the approval of the Governor, adopted a plan for the grounds and buildings, with a view to the ultimate erection of one main building and eight family houses, besides one house for a reading room and hospital, and two large shops for mechanical labor, intended to accommodate four hundred boys.
On the 27th of August, 1867, the Board, with the approval of the Governor, appointed Mr. and Mrs. Frank B. Ainsworth, Superintendent and Matron. They immediately entered upon the discharge of their duties, which they have ever since discharged with great credit to themselves and to the institution.
On the first of January, 1868, three family houses and one work shop were completed and ready for occupancy, and the Governor issued his proclamation declaring the Institution ready for the reception of inmates. During the past year the main building and one additional family house have been completed.
The plan of the buildings is an elongated octagon. All the family houses front to the center of the plateau save the two on the east side, which front to the east. The main building stands east of the centre, fronts to the east; it is sixty-four by one hundred and twenty-eight feet, external measurement, and is three stories high above the basement. In the basement are the vegetable cellars, wash room, ironing room, furnace room and kitchen. On the first floor are the office, reception room, officers and boys dining rooms, pantry and store room. On the second floor are the Superintendent's family rooms, private office, and five dormitories for officers, etc. On the third floor are the Assistant Superintendent's rooms, a store room and library, the chapel and hospital.
The family houses are uniform in style, and are thirty-six by fifty-eight feet external measurement. The basement contains a furnace room, a store room, and a large wash room, which is also used for a play room in stormy weather. On the first floor are two rooms for the House Father and his family; and a school room, which is also used for a sitting-room for the family of boys. On the third floor are the boys' dormitory, a clothes room and a room for the Elder Brother, etc.
These buildings are erected on a plan suggested by an experienced reformer, and admirably serve the purpose for which they were designed.
The first boy was received January 23d, 1868, into the institution, from Hendricks county. A few days after this ten boys were transferred from the Northern Prison. Since the opening of the institution twenty-two boys have been received to its guardianship. There are at this time one hundred and seventy-eight inmates remaining in the institution; two having been indentures; one having died, and the rest having been discharged. Notwithstanding that there are no high fences, walls, or physical contrivances, to prevent the boys from escaping, not a single boy has succeeded in getting away, and although the inmates are of the most hardened and desperate classes, not one has been subjected to corporal punishment.
The plan of instruction is that of the most approved common school system. All the boys attend school one-half of each day and are engaged at some useful employment, either on the farm, or in the garden, or shoe-shop, or tailor-shop, or chair-shop, or some other division of the domestic department, the other half. This discipline is mild and firm, and eminently parental--the higher sentiments of the boys being appealed to.
The institution is success beyond all expectations, and it has already demonstrated its value to the State by converting to a life of usefulness and respectability, many neglected children who would, but for its saving influence, have been miserable waifs among the scum of society.
See below for full book citation. Pp. 190-192.
THE COUNTY INFIRMARY.
This institution is situated about three miles north-west of the city, and was established in 1832. It is a well-managed and efficient institution. The "farm," consisting of 160 acres, was purchased in 1832. At this date the only building on the site was a log cabin of two rooms. Buildings were erected from time to time, as the demand for accommodations increased, of which the principal structure was erected in 1845. To this an addition for the accommodation of the insane paupers was made in 1858. These buildings were soon found inadequate to the demand upon them; and in 1869 was commenced the erection of the present capacious and appropriate structure. The corner stone of the building was laid on the 25th of July, 1869; and it was dedicated in October, 1870, under the auspices of the Young Men's Christian Association.
The principal building is in the Norman style of architecture. Its front is two hundred and four feet; extreme depth, one hundred and eighty-four feet; height, four stories. The building presents a fine architectural appearance. The plan of the interior is excellent; securing neatness, convenience, and plentiful light and ventilation.
In the rear of the main structure is another building twenty-eight by seventy feet, and two stories in height.
The increased room thus obtained has afforded opportunities for introducing a much more thorough and efficient system than before existed. The contrast between the system of management of the Marion County Infirmary of to-day and that of the past, is as striking as the contrast between the present buildings and those they superseded.
Now the institution is so conducted as to secure the well-being of the inmates; than it was merely a receptacle, into which was thrust that inconvenient class in the community whom being unable to help themselves, were thus stuck away out of sight and dismissed from public concern. Now the management conforms to common morality and propriety by separate accommodations for the sexes; then no adequate separation of this kind was practicable. Now the insane are cared for apart from the others, and humane and adequate means employed to ameliorate their condition and conduce to their cure; then they were hidden away and confined in repulsive quarters and surroundings calculated to craze the sane, and with nothing but the rudest diet for eking out a miserable existence. Then the institution was unsightly, the quarters unclean, the regimen scant and unwholesome, the medical assistance inadequate, because of inadequate compensation; no regrd was paid to the education of the children, or to the moral instruction of either old or young. Now the converse of all these conditions prevails: cleanliness pervades the buildings, and is enforced on the part of the inmates; religious services are regularly held in the chapel; a "nursery department" has been provided for the children, where they are separately kept, and given the needful attention in respect to their education, their morals and their health; the insane are appropriately provided for; and the due distinction between the sexes is observed. This contrast, so favorable to the present condition of the asylum, does not signify that it was formerly in a worse state than most similar institutions of to-day; on the contrary it ony illustrates the superiority of the Marion County Infirmary over most pauper asylums. Neither is any reflection on past officials intended; nor is it charged that they could have done better with the means with which they were furnished. The improvement in the condition of the asylum is principally due to the attraction of the attention of the community to the need for reform in the institution, and to the enlistment of the benevolent and humane sentiment of the people in its behalf.
The first Superintendent was Peter Newland. From 1832 to 1839 the office of Superintendent was discontinued and its functions were discharged by a Board of Directors. The records show the following to have served as Directors; Wm. McCaw, Cary Smith, James Johnson, Isaac Pugh Samuel McCray, George Lockerbie, and Thomas F. Stout.
The office of Superintendent was revived in 1839; since which time the following have served in that capacity: Aquilla Hilton, James Higgenbottom, Nelson McCord, Henry Fisher, William H. Watt, John Adams, Levi A. Hardesty, Parker S. Carson, Joseph L, [sic] Fisher, and William H. Watt, the present Superintendent.
The office of Physician to the Infirmary was created in 1840, previous to which date the Superintendent was authorized to call in a physician whenever the services of one might be required. Since the creation of the office the following have successively served the county as Physician of the Infirmary: Drs. Parry, Yeakle, Dunlap, Mothershead, Dunlap, John S. Bobbs, Sanders, John M. Gaston, M. H. Wright, H. C. Brown, Michael Lynch, R. N. Todd, Milton Phipps, J. K. Bigelow, Wm. Wands, and H. H. Moore, the present Physician. The office of Physician was for years an unattractive trust. The salary was the merest trifle; the duties considerable and forbidding. Recently the salary has been increased; but is still too small to possess any pecuniary temptation to any competent physician to undertake the discharge of the duties.
It was during Dr. Wand's term as physician that the new buildings were instituted and completed. It is due to this gentleman to give him large credit for agitation of the question of reform, for urging the necessity for the improvements that have since been made, and for the present beneficient system of the Infirmary.
At this time there are about 38 children in the nursery department, which is under the charge of Mrs. Durham.
In the department for the insane there are about 58 patients, under the immediate charge of Nicholas Daly.
The whole number of inmates at this time is about 185.
The new buildings were erected at a cost of about $120,000, and the value of the site is about $32,000.
See below for full book citation. Pp. 192-193.
INDIANAPOLIS CITY HOSPITAL.
A visitation of the small pox in 1855, first suggested the idea of a City Hospital in Indianapolis. The result was, that early in March, 1856, the establishment of such an institution was authorized by the Common Council. A site was secured in the north-western part of the city, containing nine and one-half acres; and the Hospital building was completed in 1859.
To the efforts and influence of Dr. Livingston Dunlap, an estimable citizen, an eminent physician, and a member of the Council, is the establishment of this institution so larely due, that he has been appropriately called the "Father of the City Hospital."
For about two years after its completion the Hospital was an idle piece of property. First it was proposed to sell the property; then various uses were suggested; and a proposition from the Catholic Church to conduct it as a hospital was defeated, because of denominational objections. Finally, the property was placed in the care of a keeper; in which condition it was found at the beginning of the Rebellion. The concentration of troops at this point dictated the employment of the institution as a hospital for military purposes; and to this end Drs. Kitchen and Jameson were appointed by the State authorities to the charge of the hospital in May, 1861.
Under the zealous and very efficient direction of Dr. Kitchen, the institution was used as a military hospital until July, 1865; during which period its great usefulness vastly more than compensated for the outlay incurred in its establishment and maintenance. From July, 1865, to April, 1866, the institution was used for a Soldiers' Home, under Dr. M. M. Wishard, in which capacity it again subserved in a large degree the causes of philanthropy and patriotism.
During Dr. Kitchen's administration extensive improvements in buildings, as well as in the hospital system, were made; so that at the close of the war, when the institution was surrendered to the city, the latter found itself the possessor of a hospital organized at the expense of the United States Government.
About 13,000 patients were treated in the hospital during the war. Under Dr. Kitchen's administration, also, the rounds were ornamented by shade trees, further adding to the usefulness and attractiveness of the place--another result of his constant concern and efforts for the improvement of the institution.
April 27th, 1866, Dr. Kitchen published a card in the Journal calling attention to the neglected state of the institution, and to the necessity for putting it into an efficient condition for use by the city. A meeting of the citizens was immediately held, and Hon. J. D. Nowland appointed to present the subject to the Council. April 30th a committee of the Council, consisting of Dr. Jameson and Messrs. Kappes and Emerson, were appointed to meet the Board of Health and perfect a plan for the improvement and management of the hospital, and to report the necessary ordinance for that purpose. At a special meeting, May 2d, an ordinance was introduced authorizing the purchase of materials sufficient to equip a hospital with accommodations for 75 patients. William Hannaman was appointed the agent of the city to make purchases. An ordinance for the management of the hospital was also passed at the same time. These efforts were greatly accelerated by a threatened visitation visitation of cholera, then prevailing in Europe.
The ordinance for the management of the hospital provided for the election of a Board of Directors, in which each ward was to be represented, who were invested with full control of the management of the institution. The Board organized June 12th, 1866, by the election of Dr. J. M. Kitchen President, and L. B. Wilson, Esq., Secretary. June 28t, 1866, Dr. G. V. Woolen was elected Superintendent for one year, also the following Medical and Surgical Stff:
Surgeons--Drs. J. S. Bobbs, J. S. Athon, J. A. Comingor, and L. D. Waterman.
Physicians--Drs. J. H. Woodburn, T. B. Harvey, R. N. Todd, and J. M. Gaston.
Dr. Woolen opened the hospital on the 1st of July, 1866. To the requisite attainments in medical science he added great energy and much previous experience in like responsibilities; and it was not long before the hospital was placed in good condition for the reception of patients. Large repairs and some important additions were made during his administration. Great care and economy were necessary during the first year of its existence, in order to inaugurate and maintain the charity without making it oppressive financially. Its officers found much ignorance prevailing as to the nature and wants of such an institution, encountered many perplexities unknown to the people generally, and certainly re deserving the thanks of the public for their industry, and patience, and good management.
Dr. Woolen was Superintendent of the institution until July 1st, 1870, when when [sic] he was succeeded by Dr. E. Hadley, the present Superintendent, who is serving the hospital well and acceptably.
Since his retirement from the superintendence of the institution, Dr. Kitchen has remained the President of the Board of Directors; and still continues to take his old interest in the success of the hospital.
During the official year ending July st, 1870, the number of patients treated was 245; number of births 27; number of deaths 26. During the same period the total expenditures of the institution were $6,606.97; and the average expense per capita was $0.50.
The present number of patients is 48; the whole number treated in the institution from the beginning, 1,180.
The officers for the current year are: President of the Board of Directors, Dr. F. S. Newcomer; Superintendent, Dr. E. Hadley; Assistant Superintendent, Dr. R. D. Craighead; Matron, Mrs. E. M. Porter. The Medical and Surgical Staff is composed as follows: Consulting Officers--Drs. George W. Mears and James S. Athon; Surgeons--Drs. J. A. Comingor, L. D. Waterman, G. V. Woolen and J. K. Bigelow; Physicians--Drs. Thomas B. Harvey, R. N. Todd, D. H. Oliver and A. W. Davis.
See below for full book citation. Pp. 193-195.
HOME FOR FRIENDLESS WOMEN.
Location: Tennessee street, just beyond city limits.
In 1863, Stoughton A. Fletcher, Sr., donated to the city of Indianapolis, seven acres of ground lying southwest of the city, near White river, on condition that within a certain time a house should be built for abandoned women, to serve as a prison for the vicious and intractable--as a home for the more mild and teachable. The gift was accepted, and the house commenced. Seven thousand dollars had been expended on a foundation, when the work suddenly came to a stop; all the means in the public treasury being required for bounties for the soldiers. The building was never completed, nor the site occupied for the use for which it was donated, being too far from the city.
The Young Men's Christian Association cooperated with the active friends of the enterprise; committees of the Association canvassed the city for funds; and finally a building of nine rooms was obtained for a temporary Home, situated on North Pennsylvania street. The early efforts of the Home were directed to the amelioration of the condition of the prisoners in the county jail, from which its first inmates were taken: all of whom were more or less benefitted [sic], and many of them greatly.
But the publicity of the location, as well as other reasons not necessary to be stated here, was an obstruction to the highest usefulness of the institution; and steps were soon taken to obtain the necessary means for a permanent Home in a more suitable location. For this purpose the city and county appropriated $7,500 each.
A location on North Tennessee street, just outside the city limits was secured; and by means of the city and county appropriations, money donations, and donations of city lots by James M. Ray, William S. Hubbard and Calvin Fletcher, of Indianapolis, and by Stillman Witt, Esq., of Cleveland, Ohio, and early in May, 1870, a suitable building had been erected. The Home was dedicated on the 21st day of May, 1870, the religious services on the occasion being conducted by Rev. Drs. Scott, Holliday, Day, and others.
The building thus completed and dedicated was in the Renaissance style of architecture, of brick, fifty-seven by seventy-five feet, three stories high, with forty-nine pleasant rooms and chambers, having a capacity for one hundred inmates, and was a neat, convenient, and commodious structure.
In this building for several months, the institution was conducted with the most commendable philanthropy. It was conducted not as a prison, but as a Home, to which the inmates should become attached. Pains were taken to learn the workings of similar institutions elsewhere; for which purpose some of the Managers traveled extensively.
It has been indeed, what its name signifies--a "Home for Friendless Women." Not alone as a refuge for Fallen Women; but also fro the needy and helpless of the sex, irrespective of the causes of their misfortunes.
The success of the Home has exceeded the expectations of its benevolent founders. "Lost" girls--"lost" in the dreariest sense of the word--"lost" in their own reckless abandonment to vice--"lost" in the judgment and estimation of society--shelterless and utterly depraved--whose only home was the jail, the low brothel, or the open air--have found in the Home a refuge, and a restoration to the community's and their own respect.
The institution was suddenly interrupted in its mission of usefulness by a fire on the 22d of September, 1870, which laid the building in ashes, save a portion of the walls. By this calamity, a loss of several thousands of dollars over insurance was sustained. A building for a temporary Home was secured at No. 476 North Illinois street; where the inmates have been provided with a home, while the managers and the community set themselves busily to work to rebuild the institution on its old site. It was found that the walls of the burned building were available for use in erecting the new; appropriations were again obtained from the city and county; and by these aids and individual donations, the work of rebuilding the Home was prosecuted with such vigor and success, that the new building, on the site of the old, was recently dedicated and occupied--a building as commodious, as convenient, and as attractive as the one destroyed.
The results of the institution attest its usefulness, and speak the praise of its management. The Home was opened on the 22d February, 1867. During that year it had 70 inmates; during 1868, 140; during 1869, 133; during 1870, 225. Its management has been as economical as it has been useful. During the first three years of its existence, its aggregate expenses were $5,612.19. Conspicuous in the administration of the institution from the first have been James Smith and his wife, Sarah J. Smith--members of the Society of Friends. Both have been faithful and efficient. Mrs. Smith as City Missionary, has blended decided energy with philanthropy.
The limits of this sketch do not admit of mention of all those, dead and living, who have given important aid and encouragement to this enterprise. Conspicuous among these has been James M. Ray, Esq.; and it is justly claimed that to him more than to any other one person is the establishment of the institution indebted. The late Col. Blake was also a fast and useful friend of the enterprise. Both of these citizens--the one yet living, and the other gone to his reward--have been permanently connected with many benevolent institutions and enterprises in the city and county.
The present officers of the institution are: James Smith, Superintendent; Sarah J. Smith, City Missionary; Miss Sarah M. Alcorn, Matron.
Officers of the Board of Managers--Mrs. John S. Newman, President; Mrs. J. L. Ketcham, Mrs. Hannah Hadley, Vice President; Mrs. C. N. Todd, Treas'r; Mrs. Charles W. Moores, Corresponding Secretary; Mrs. J. H. Kappes, Recording Secretary; Mrs. J. M. Ray, Auditor.
Officers of the Board of Trustees--James M. Ray, President; William S. Hubbard, Treasurer; Samuel Merrill, Secretary; D. E. Snyder, Auditor.
See below for full book citation. Pp. 195-197.
Location: Corner of Tennessee and Fifth streets.
The movement for the erection of this institution was started in the year 1849, by the Indianapolis Benevolent Society. At the annual meeting of this association, in that year, the destitution among the widows and orphans in the city was a prominent subject of consideration; and committees were appointed to enlighten the public as to the extent of such destitution, and to enlist popular charity for its amelioration. At a called meeting of the same society in November of the above year, a society for the relief of the classes stated, was organized, by the election of a President, three Vice Presidents, a Treasurer, a Secretary, a Depositary, thirteen Managers, and a Visiting Committee,--all of whom were ladies; and an Advisory Committee of gentlemen.
In January, 1850, this society obtained a legislative charter for the establishment of the Home. The first officers were as follows:
Mrs. A. W. Morris, President; Mrs. Alfred Harrison, Mrs. William Sheets, Mrs. Judge Morrison, Vice Presidents; Mrs. Phipps, Treasurer; Mrs. Hollingshead, Secretary; Mrs. Wilkins, Depositary; Mrs. Calvin Fletcher, Mrs. Graydon, Mrs. McGuire, Mrs. I. P. Williams, Mrs. Crossy, Mrs. Williams, Mrs. Willard, Mrs. Underhill, Mrs. Irvin, Mrs. Dr. Dunlap, Mrs. L. Hall, Mrs. Bradley, Managers; Mrs. Duncan, Mrs. Ferry, Mrs. Paxton, Mrs. Dunn, Mrs. Campbell, Mrs. A. F. Morrison, Mrs. McCarty, Mrs. Myers, Mrs. Brouse, Mrs. Wiseman, Visiting Committee; Messrs. N. M'Carty, A. Harrison, Judge Morrison, William Sheets, J. R. Osgood, Butler, A. G. Willard, Ohr, and Wilkins, Advisory Committee.
In 1854, the association as enabled to purchase two city lots for a site for the Home; a third being then donated for that purpose by James P. Drake, Es. In 1855, the first building on this site was erected, costing $1,200. In 1869, the building was greatly enlarged and improved, at a cost of $3,000; all--as well as the sums previously expended--having been raised by popular donations. The property and improvements are now worth about $14,000; and the institution is in a prosperous condition. It has an average family of thirty-five children. While the necessaries of life are provided for the children, their education is not neglected; in the institution a school is conducted three hours each day, by a competent governess.
The domestic arrangements, which are managed in a most excellent manner, are administered by a matron, governess, nurse, cook, and a man-of-all-work.
The Home is one of the most useful and efficiently conducted permanent charities in the city. It has no endowment, and its successful establishment and maintenance is due to the unwearying philanthropy of those who have had its interests in charge--sustained, of course, by popular contributions. Of late years the County has come to the assistance of the institution with a quarterly allowance for the board of each child.
Prominent in the infancy of the institution, and during their whole lives, for valuable services and preserving benificence in this field, were Mrs. Alfred Harrison, Mrs. A. G. Willard, Mrs. Richmond, and Mrs. John H. Bradley.
The donations in support of the Home have been many, and, in the aggregate, large. Among them we find record of the following: A lot, donated by W. S. Hubbard, Esq., from which $800 was realized; a legacy, of $1,200, from Mrs. Bryant; considerable donations from Calvin Fletcher, Sr., Mrs. Givan, and Mrs. John H. Bradley; and $200 worth of provisions from the Society of Friends.
The number of children cared for at the Home during the past year was 120.
The Presidents of the Society, so far as record of them is found, from the beginning, have been, Mrs. A. W. Morris, Mrs. A. G. Willard, Mrs. W. T. Clark, Mrs. Wilson, and Mrs. Hannah T. Hadley.
At the last meeting of the Managers, held on the first Tuesday of May, 1871, the following officers were elected for the ensuing year:
Mrs. Hannah T. Hadley, President; Mrs. Dr. J. H. Woodburn, Mrs. John S. Tarkington, and Mrs. John Bradshaw, Vice Presidents; Mrs. Fred. Baggs, Treasurer; Mrs. Benj. Harrison, Secretary; Mrs. John C. Wright, Corresponding Secretary.
Board of Managers.--Mrs. William Mansur, Mrs. Joseph E. McDonald, Mrs. John C. New, Mrs. David Macy, Mrs. Rachel Clarke, Mrs. John I. Morrison, Mrs. William D. Hawk, Mrs. Cyrus Boaz, Mrs. J. T. Wright, Mrs. R. M. Pattison, Mrs. Margaret Evans, and Mrs. John Fishback.
Advisory Committee.--His Excellency Governor Baker, Alfred Harrison, Esq., Hon. E. B. Martindale, J. B. Osgood, Esq., John M. Lord, Esq., General Daniel Macauley, Hon. Jos. E. McDonald, Jacob T. Wright, Esq., Thomas H. Sharpe, Esq., W. H. Morrison, Esq., William Jackson, Esq., Hon. John W. Ray, James M. Hume, and Gen. George F. McGinnis.
See below for full book citation. Pp. 197-198.
INDIANAPOLIS ASYLUM FOR FRIENDLESS COLORED CHILDREN.
This institution is located in the north-western quarter of the city.
The Articles of Association for its establishment were filed for record on the 26th of February, 1870. The building was erected and completed, during that year.
The management of its affairs is vested in a Board of Directors, no composed as follows:
William Hadley, President; Solomon Blair, Treasurer; William C. Hobbs, Secretary; James Kersey, of Hendricks county; Joseph Morris, Plainfield; Allen Hadley, Mooresville; B. C. Coffin, W. L. Pyle, Enos G. Pray, Indianapolis; Charles Reave, Friendswood.
See below for full book citation. P. 198.
INDIANAPOLIS BENEVOLENT SOCIETY.
On page 50, mention is made, in a general way, of this society. Its antiquity; its large usefulness; the honored names, living and dead, connected with it in the past and present; makes appropriate a fuller sketch of its history in this place.
The society was organized on Thanksgiving evening, in November, 1835. The movement was participated in by representative Christian citizens of the city generally, irrespective of denomination; and the usual religious services on the above mentioned evening, were dispensed with in all the churches, to enable the members to participate in the work of organizing this society. Each succeeding anniversary has been celebrated on Thanksgiving evening; on which occasions, it is well understood that the usual Thursday evening services are not to be held in the churches, that their members may attend the Anniversary meeting of this society. Its plan is simple, as its work of charity is great.
For the purpose of the society, the city is divided into districts, now thirty in number. The officers consist of a President, Secretary, and Treasurer. Whoever contributes to the charities dispensed by the society, is a member of it. As each anniversary meeting officers are elected for the ensuring year, donations are collected and a canvassing committee (consisting of one gentleman and one lady) is appointed for each district.
The officers, and these committees, constitute the whole Executive authority of the society. Te committees canvass their respective districts for contributions of money and clothing. The money goes into the care of the Treasurer; the clothing, etc., into a depository.
The committees draw on the depository as occasion arises, for the articles there deposited, for the benefit of the destitute in their respective districts. To prevent the misappropriation of the money thus raised, a contract is made with one or more (generally two) grocers, to supply groceries on the order of the members of the committees. The usual weekly allowance thus made is $1.50 for each family; increasable, if required, in cases of sickness. A committee is also empowered to relieve the destitution of transient persons, and aid in securing them transportation to their homes or friends.
The first President of the society was the late James Blake, Sr.; who held that trust continuously, to the period of his death, November 26th, 1870. Calvin Fletcher, Sr., was its Secretary from the time of its organization, until his death, May 26th, 1866; and James M. Ray, was its Treasurer, from the beginning, until Mr. Blake's death, when he became President. The present officers are:
James M. Ray, President; Ebenezer Sharpe, Treasurer; Rev. Elijah T. Fletcher, Secretary.
See below for full book citation. P. 199.
LADIES' SOCIETY FOR THE RELIEF OF THE POOR.
This society was organized on the 10th of February, 1869, by a few Protestant and Catholid ladies of this city. Its object, in a word, is benificence. Its means are derived by such methods as fairs, donations, etc.
The society is strictly undenominational in its membership, and its charities are dispensed without reference to creeds. In an unostentatious manner, it has accomplished a great deal in the way of practical philanthropy. The officers are:
Mrs. J. H. McKernan, President; Mrs. John A. Reaume, Treasurer; Miss Julia Cox, Secretary.
See below for full book citation. P. 199.
GERMAN PROTESTANT ORPHANS' ASSOCIATION.
This body was permanently organized on the 11th day of August, 1867, with Frederick Thoms, Esq., as the first President.
Like every other young organization of a benevolent character, unaided by appropriations from the public treasury, its progress was at first slow; while obstacles were abundant and difficult. The society, has, however, been superior to all discouragements and come to be an important instrumentality in the work of benevolence. In the absence of a building for an asylum for those for whose benefit the society was organized and has labored, its benefactions have been performed in such other ways as were practicable.
The society has purchased a site of six and three-quarter acres, at the terminus of Virginia avenue, on which will be erected, as soon as possible, a suitable building for the Orphans' Home. The association has about one hundred members. Its present officers are:
Conrad Russe, President; J. J. Wenner, Vice-President; Tobias Bender and Fr. Hillman, Secretaries; Henry Helm, Treasurer; Frederick Thoms, J. Helm, H. H. Kech, T. Sander, William Teckenbrock, and Henry Mankedick, Treasurer.
See below for full book citation. P.200.
LADIES GERMAN PROTESTANT ORPHANS' HOME ASSOCIATION.
This is an auxiliary to the foregoing society, and its stated meetings are held at the same time and place. It was founded in the month of October, 1870. Its officers are:
Mrs. Rusehaupt, President; Mrs. Schoppenhorst, Vice President; Mrs. Reinheimer, Secretary; Mrs. Reiher, Treasurer.
See below for full book citation. P. 200.
THE INDIANAPOLIS SOCIETY FOR THE RELIEF OF THE CRIPPLED, RUPTURED, AND DEFORMED.
The system of Benevolent Institutions of this State, caring so liberally and extensively for the Insane, Blind, and Deaf and Dumb, makes no provision for a class at least as large as either of them, as helpless, and that would seem to be also entitled to similar assistance from the State--its crippled, impotent and deformed population.
To remedy the condition of this class of unfortunates, a number of the liberal and benevolent citizens of this city, incorporated the above named Society on the 7th of September, 1870. The proposed capital stock of the society was $100,000, subject to enlargement. "Over that sum has been promptly subscribed for the object here, mostly by citizens of the Capital, but that this foundation may be enlarged, so as to provide for the aid of the afflicted and needy in all parts of the State the co-operation of the friends of such an effort, in the several counties, is needful and is earnestly solicited.
"The whole subscription of $25 also entitles the subscriber to nominate a patient for treatment. $100 entitles the subscriber to the annual nomination of a patient. $1000 entitles to the nomination of a patient for a free bed annually. $5000 entitles the subscriber, and his heirs or assigns, to the nomination of a patient to a perpetual free bed from the society.
"The aim of the society is to provide comfortable houses and boarding in the City of Indianapolis, at low rates or free of charge, as the necessities of the poor may require--also, surgical treatment, and mechanical apparatus, appliances, supporters, etc., for relieving deformities, paralysis, and other affections destroying the usefulness of their limbs or bodies."
The articles of association provide that no salary shall be attached to any office held in the society.
All apparatus and appliances to be furnished at the cost only of the time and materials required for their manufacture.
The society is, as yet, without a building of its own; but the patients are provided with suitable board. The surgeons are Drs. Allen and Johnson, of the Surgical Institute; and the support facilities of that institution are thus afforded the patients.
"Sixty patients have already received gratuitous treatment, aid, and relief, through the society. Twenty cases have required and been provided with apparatus or mechanical appliances for deformity. Twelve cases have required and been relieved by surgical operation. Fourteen of these patients reside in this city, but the benefits of the society are designed to extend to sufferers of this class in every part of the State, and already patients have been received, cared for, treated and relieved, from the counties of Ripley, Jennings, Blackford, Franklin, Miami, Marion, Floyd, Morgan, Tipton, Vigo, Wayne, Warren, Fountain, Parke, Putnam, Madison and Dearborn."
It is the expectation of the society, that the State will finally make appropriate provision for this class of its helpless population.
Its management is vested in a Board of Directors, an Executive Committee, and the following officers:
James M. Ray, President; Barnabas C. Hobbs, Addison Daggy, W. P. Johnson, A. L. Roache, Vice Presidents; William H. Turner, Recording Secretary; K. H. Boland, Corresponding Secretary; John C. New, Treasurer.
See below for full book citation. Pp. 200-201.
Holloway, W. R., Indianapolis, a Historical and Statistical Sketch of the Railroad City, a Chronicle of Its Social, Municipal, Commercial and Manufacturing Progress, with Full Statistical Tables, © 1870, pp. 184 - 201.