export MAVEN_OPS="-Xms128m -Xmx1024m"
export CATALINA_OPTS="-Xms128m -Xmx1536m -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote=true -Dappserver.home=$CATALINA_HOME -
- Cloud Solution
- Google Business Apps for all office activities
- Chrome for internet access, as a second choice also Safari.
- Offline Solution
- OSX Mail client for emails, notes, and exchange server connectivity. The GPG mail plugin is used to sign and to encrypt my emails.
- OSX iCal for calendar, and exchange server connectivity
- OSX Address Book for contact management, and company exchange server connectivity
- Libre Office as office application suite with English US, German, and French dictionaries and grammar checkers. I moved to libre office during the time Oracle moved Open Office to the Apache foundation. I never regretted the move.
- Keynote, Numbers and Pages as an alternative for Libre Office.
- Acrobat Reader to read PDF document, as a second choice the OSX preview application
- PDF Tools for PDF file manipulation
- Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection free client to connect to Microsoft terminal servers or hosts.
- ClamXav as virus scanner for Microsoft files
- GPG to open ciphered and signed documents
- Calibre and Kindle as ebook reader and management tool
- CMAP tool for knowledge representation
- Google Talk for Internet conference calls. If necessary Skype has fallback
- Filezilla as FTP client
- Tunnelblick as VPN client
- ssh is part of the operation system
- Social Media
- VLC to watch movies
- Handbrake to encode DVD into MP4 films to avoid transporting DVD when traveling
- Vuze to dowland torrent files
- Deezer as streaming service
- OSX iTunes for music and podcasts. I encoded all my CDs into AAC to have my collection of tunes when traveling
- Google Music Manager to play music on my Android phone and sometimes on my notebook.
- Amazon Music to buy and download my music. Currently the prices in Amazon shop are around 40% cheaper than in Google shop and quite often 60% than in Apple shop.
- OSX Photo for photo management
- Google Gmail, Chrome Browser, Docs, Earth, Picasa, Talk and Sites for private usage and as fallback platform when the company infrastructure is not available
- Google sites liberation to download my Google sites content for backup
Host: sites.google.com, Domain: <empty>, Webspace: marcelbaumann, Import/Export Revision: true
- Java SDK 8 and SDK 9 (developer preview)
- Visual VM for management and analysis activities
- Maven 3.2.x (metrics, cobertura, junit)
- Maven is located as link under
/usr/bin/mvn -> /usr/share/maven and is a reference to
- To update maven copy to /usr/share/java the new maven distribution. This approach has the advantage that maven is already in our path.
- Delete the old link /usr/share/maven and create a new link /usr/share/maven to the new maven installation sudo ln -s /usr/share/java/maven-3.2.2 /usr/share/maven
- Check the correct installation calling
mvn --version to check the version of the installed maven distribution
- If it is your first maven installation add the following statement in our
- export M2_HOME=/usr/share/maven
- IntelliJ 14.x
- Attassian GitBucket, JIRA, HipChat, Wiki
- Atlassian SourceTree
- SquirrelSQL for SQL and database activities
- Jenkins as continuous integration
- Derby, as a primary choice instead of MySQL. Anyway I moved to PostgreSQL for all database activities requiring an entreprise grade database server
- Agilefant as Scrum tool
- Scilab for mathematical activities
- Documentation tools for projects are
- Guava with Event Bus
- Apache Isis and Apache Shiro
- Logging framework SLF4J but we have a strong preference for the native logging framework of the JDK for small to medium size projects. If your project grow you can still wrap all your logging calls to SLF4J if you desire it.
Development Servers and Tools
- Apacheweb server
- My SQL server database
- Subversion server through the Apache modules
- Tomcat server
- Google site as personal wiki
- Gantt project you once in a time I need to draw a gantt chart
# Agilefant configuration
CREATE DATABASE agilefant;
GRANT ALL ON agilefant.* to agilefant@localhost IDENTIFIED BY 'agilefant';
CREATE USER 'gerrit2'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'gerrit';
CREATE DATABASE reviewdb;
ALTER DATABASE reviewdb charset=latin1;
GRANT ALL ON reviewdb.* TO 'gerrit2'@'localhost';
#OpenKM configuration - set the openKM.cnf hibernate property to create
- I updated my MacBook Pro - Mid 2010 - to OSX Maverick without any trouble. I also decided to order the new MacBook Pro with Retina Display - Fall 2013 - to have an uptodate notebook for my daily professional work. The setup of the notebook was used to update wiki pages related to the setup and configuration of OSX.
- When restoring emails from a time capsule backup the OSX mail application is not working correctly. You must remove all envelope indexes. See technical note.
- OSX Mail still does not support GPG. I use the GPG Mail plugin. Apple modify the Mail API each time a new version of OSX is released. Therefore I always have to wait some weeks unti I can again sign or encrypt my emails. This situation is a shame in the light of the NSA scandal after Snowden events in 2013.
- The Google music manager and Google drive were out of sync after migrating my account on the new notebook. I had to first delete all local copies and second download all my files from Google Drive. Google Music required that I upload all my music again - 16'000+ songs -.
- I got a refund for the SSD and bought a new Intel 300 GB SSD in January 2011. As usual the recovery from a time capsule backup did not work. I reinstalled Snow Leopard, update it to have the option to download Lion, downloaded Lion and installed it, and finally applied all the Lion updates - after 6 hours you have a working system -. Now I was ready to migrate my user accounts and settings with the migration assistant. Started the migration task and went to bed. Next morning the task was still running and my time capsule was blinking yellow. The diagnostic is a S.M.A.R.T status information that my backup disk is failing. The disk is eighteen months old, this is bad luck for a "server grade" hard disk - see the marketing hype of Apple -. Because I never trust undocumented systems such as time capsule I have a manual backup of my data and user accounts. So I will spend the whole Sunday to reinstall everything and have it running.
- The move to OSX Lion during the second half of year 2010 showed that our firewall provider Watchguard has no clues how their proprietary VPN client should be maintained. In fact their client is a repackaged OpenVPN. But their developers are so incompetent that they are not able to copy the 64 bits version of the network driver used by openVPN. Therefore their distribution does not work on any 64 bits OSX operating systems such as OSX Lion or Snow Leopard started in 64 bits mode. Quite an example of incompetency.
- The problems of the crashes under OSX Lion are identified. The SSD of the notebook seems to have a bad sector not detected by the operating system nor the controller of the disk. After a few days I got a key length error and had to reinstall. Changed the disk and the problem disappeared.
- Once again my MacBook Pro - October 2011 under OSX Lion - corrupted the hard disk. Again I had to restore the system partition from the Time Capsule backup. The direct restore during the installation also generated a disk corruption. I needed first to install Snow Leopard, update to OSX Lion, install all updates and only when migrate my files from the Time Capsule.
- Once again my MacBook Pro - August 2011 under OSX Lion - crashed completely. Again I had to restore the system partition from the Time Capsule backup. It would be time that the file system of Apple supports journaling.
- Once again my MacBook Pro - May 2011 under OSX Snow Leopard - crashed completely and could not be recovered due to a file system corruption. The problem is that safe boot crashes when loading some kernel extensions and I could not boot from the DVD/Recovery Disk due to strange boot sequences of the MacBook Pro. So I had to find professional support to format my hard disk. The problem is still that the B-tree of HSF+ are not journaled and can get corrupted.
- My MacBook - June 2007 under OSX Tiger - crashed completely and could not be recovered due to a file corruption. I had to format the disk in another machine before being able to reinstall the OS and restore my data from the backup media.