Edward Jollie - Reminisces 1841-1865

12. Postscript

Edward Jollie in later years

Edward Jollie’s political career had begun in 1860, when he was elected without opposition or being present, as the member of the General Assembly for the Cheviot District.  A resume of his subsequent political career includes the following.

On the 14th May, 1866 Superintendent Samuel Bealey accepted Jollie’s resignation as Provincial Secretary.  Six months later he was elected for Selwyn constituency, which he continued to represent for the remainder of the Provincial period.  Appointed President of the Executive Council of the Canterbury Provincial Legislature, the following day he was sworn in under the new administration of William Sefton Moorhouse as Provincial Secretary and Secretary of Public Works.

On the 3rd of March, 1868, Jollie was re-appointed Provincial Secretary, Secretary of Public Works and President of the Executive Council in the same administration, but fifteen months later his resignation was accepted from all three posts  when he was defeated and remained out of office for twelve hours. The following day he was re-appointed Member of the Executive, President of the Council, Provincial Secretary and Secretary of Public Works. Three days later the administration of William Rolleston prevailed and Jollie was also appointed as Commissioner of the Waste Lands Board.

On the 23rd of February, 1872, Jollie was appointed Member of the Board of the Legislative Council for the North Rakaia district, in which his Beachcroft Estate was situated. Two years later he was Provincial Secretary, Provincial Treasurer and Member of the Executive Council. The following month he was Commissioner of the Waste Lands Board again.

On the 25th of November, 1874 he was appointed Member of the Licensing Committee for the Ellesmere district.  Six months later his political career was nearing its end when he resigned from the Executive Council and as Provincial Secretary and Provincial Treasurer.  On the abolition of the Provinces in 1876 Jollie returned his attentions to farming on his Beachcroft Estate near Southbridge.


For the benefit of their children's education, the Jollies returned to England aboard the sailing vessel Rangitiki in March, 1877, with their two sons, six surviving daughters and two servants. Upon arrival in England they were met at the South West India Dock by Samuel Bealey, former Superintendent of Provincial Canterbury and within the week were established in a fashionable terrace overlooking London's Regents Park.


The Jollie family in front of the Waireka homestead in the early 1890s.

After remaining in Europe for six years, Edward and Carrie returned to New Zealand, where they took up land at Waireka near Patea, in the South Taranaki district by March, 1884.  

The Jollies became involved in the local community.  Caroline was active in the Hawera Horticultural Association and also raised money to enable the district to obtain the services of a clergyman for St George's Anglican Church at Patea. Edward as Auditor was a warden of the church.  His political career continued with election to a government committee in 1885 and as a Justice of the Peace he sat on the Magistrate's Bench at Patea from 1888.

Jollie also had an interest in Napier Real Estate business of Jollie, Fulton & Company and was a director of the New Zealand Land and Loan Company Limited, of which his business partner Francis Crossley Fulton (1836-1901) of Napier had been Managing Director since the company's inception in 1878.

 An elderly Edward at Waireka circa 1893


Edward Jollie died at Waireka on the 7th of August, 1894.

Edward was buried in the Patea cemetery and in 1902 a memorial tablet to Jollie was consecrated in the Portico of Christ Church Cathedral by Churchill Julius,  (1847-1938) Bishop of Christchurch and First Archbishop of New Zealand.


Edward's widow didn't stay long in the district; on the 26th of August, 1896 an auction, without reserves, of their furniture and effects was held at the homestead. Everything was sold at satisfactory prices and she had returned to England by the end of that year.

Mrs Caroline Alexandrine Orsmond Jollie died at Seatoun, Wellington in 1919.