If you would like to help with the hands-on mapping in Sudan using Map Maker, this is the place where the we need the most volunteers! In Map Maker, please fly to Sudan, click on Satellite or Hybrid map mode (under the Satellite View), to see the latest imagery available for mapping.
Are you a local to Sudan or do you have local knowledge?
Great! Here are five things you can do!
- Here is a Map Maker introductory video and Getting Started Guide - just in case you need it.
- First please take a look the Map Maker map of the Critical Areas and see if you have local knowledge around those places. If you do, please prioritize mapping in these areas. Map places, roads and natural features like lakes and rivers that will help people locate the disturbances accurately.
- If there are no unmapped disturbances or if you are not familiar with the areas, then go to the areas that you are familiar with and start mapping there.
- Remember that you can also help by reviewing other people’s edits within the tool. Here is a video about reviewing edits on Mapmaker.
- If you haven’t already done so, please alert the Sudan Mapping Community about your local knowledge here. People may contact you to help them with mapping a particiular area. You can also check our other forums for people seeking help from local knowledge experts.
Are you a mapper who would like to help but without much local knowledge?
No problem! You can still help in the following two ways:
- First, look at the Map Maker map of the Critical Areas and find out places that are not yet mapped.
- Then look to the Map Maker Sudan Forum and find out if...
- there is map/local knowledge available that you can use for mapping
- there is a person in the community with local knowledge/expertise and contact them so that you can work together, joining their knowledge and your mapping experience
- Start mapping if you can find either map data or a person from the community with whom you can pair up with.
- Increase the accuracy and visual richness of existing data
- If there is a point marked for an establishment with a building, turn on the satellite imagery, zoom in and plot the polygon around the building
- If there is a road marked, turn on the satellite imagery, zoom in and ensure that the road is very closely and accurately aligned to the satellite imagery
- If a polygon/shape already exists for a lake, park, building and so on, turn on satellite imagery, zoom in and increase the accuracy of these polygons