Map Maker Tool See What's New
The period for accepting entries has now officially closed.
From February 13, 2012 to March 9, 2012, students from the US and Canada attending university improved the maps of their campuses as they competed in the Google Map Maker Map your University competition. Highest scoring entries will be receiving prizes like Samsung Galaxy tablets, Samsung Android phones, Google Map Maker messenger bags, and more! See the results below!
walking paths, public spaces, or restaurant hangouts near your campus using Google Map Maker, and your efforts could win a grand prize package worth more than $5,000 USD for your team.
Map universities, campus organizations, local businesses, university buildings and so much more! Adding these features to the map will help students and visitors alike when they visit your campus. Having a complete, accurate and rich map on Google helps people in your campus community, businesses, tourism boards, civil services and even emergency rescue workers.
Be recognized and rewarded for your mapping contributions. The contest winning mapping team will be a local campus hero. Top mapping contributors appear on Google Map Maker and ultimately on Google Maps.
Each bid will be evaluated by judges and will receive a score based on the following criteria.
Important Information you will need to know for the contest!
Official Competition Rules for University Mapping Contest (US and Canada)
1. Description: The competition Google Map Maker University Mapping Contest for the US and Canada (the "Contest") is a contest asking University students (as individuals or in teams of up to four) from the U.S. and Canada to add new information about an existing map as well as also modify or evaluate existing information on a map of your University campus or the surrounding areas. A prize will be awarded to participants who submitted the largest number of contributions of high quality, as determined by the judges in accordance with this Regulation. Additionally, a qualitative piece must be submitted along with entrant profiles on Map Maker, describing why they have mapped their campus and highlight important edits and attributes.
2. Sponsor: The sponsor of this Contest is Google Inc., 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA (“Google”).
3. Binding agreement: To enter the Contest, you must have read and accepted these Rules. Therefore, you must read these regulations and ensure that you have understood and that you consent, before entering the Contest. You also agree that all submissions of information in the Contest implies acceptance of these Regulations. Otherwise, no tender will be considered for this contest and you will not be eligible for any prize. This regulation constitutes a contract which is binding between you and Google in connection with this Contest.
4. Eligibility: The Contest is open to any user who 1) is at least 18 years or older; 2) is a resident of the 50 United States or the District of Columbia or Canada, with the exclusion of residents of the province of Quebec; 3) is an enrolled, higher education student in either an undergraduate or postgraduate program; 4) has access to the internet during the contest period; and 5) has an active Google Account (the "Entrant" or " you "). Google Accounts are free to create; visit https://accounts.google.com/NewAccount to set up an account. Employees and contractors of Google and its subsidiaries and any entity involved in the development, design, organization and implementation of this Contest, and members of their immediate families (parents, children, siblings, spouses) and persons from their homes are not eligible for this Contest.
5. How to Enter: The Contest begins at 12:01 AM PST February 13, 2012 and end at 11:59 PM PST March 9, 2012 (the "Contest Period"). To register, you must follow the procedure for online registration, follow the instructions to create or edit maps of your university campus or the surrounding areas using Map Maker. Google will only review submissions made in Map Maker before the end of the Contest Period. If your submission is illegible, incomplete or does not meet these terms, it will be disqualified. All edits and moderation must conform to the Google Map Maker terms of service.
7. Winner Selection: Each bid will be evaluated by judges and will receive a score based on the following criteria:
Contributions can be considered as bad as if they contain any of these items:
The Entrant who accumulates the highest score will be determined the winner. In the event of a tie, the entry which scored highest in quality and completeness will be determined the winner. In the event that the winner is disqualified for reasons outlined in these Official Rules, the next highest scoring Entrant will be deemed the winner.
In the event that no entries are received or if the quality of entries does not meet the criteria outlined above, no prize will be awarded. Decisions of judges are final and binding. The winner will be announced on or about April 1, 2012 and will be notified via e-mail.
8. Prizes: The winning teams or entrants of the contest will receive the following prize packages:
1 First Prize winning team or individual - one package per team member or entrant (up to four for teams of four) - will receive:
9. Conditions: This Contest is governed by the laws of the State of California, United States. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. By submitting an entry into this Contest, You agree to be bound by the terms of these Official Rules and by the decisions of Sponsor, which are final and binding on all matters pertaining to this Contest. Failure to respond to any prize notification or to return any required documentation may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner. We will contact the Winner by email on or about April 1, 2012. Any potential winner who cannot be contacted within fifteen (15) days of attempted first notification will forfeit his or her prize. The potential prize winners may be required to sign, notarize and return an Affidavit or Declaration of Eligibility, a Liability/Publicity Release, and provide any additional information that may be required by the Sponsor within thirty (30) days following the date of first attempted notification. Failure to comply within this time period may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner. The intellectual and industrial property rights to the Contest submission, if any, will remain with the Entrants, except that these terms do not supersede any other assignment or grant of rights according to any other separate agreements between Entrants and other parties. As a condition of entry, Entrants agree that Sponsor shall have the right to use, copy, modify and make available the submission to the public via Sponsor's websites for any purpose, including but not limited to advertising and promotion of the Contest using screenshots, animations and video clips. Acceptance of a prize constitutes permission for, and winners consent to, Sponsor and its agencies use of winner's name and/or likeness and entry for advertising and promotional purposes without additional compensation, unless prohibited by law. Entrants certify that their entry is original and that they are the sole and exclusive owner and rights holder of the submitted entry and that they have the right to submit the entry in the Contest. Each Entrant agrees not to submit any entry that: (1) infringes any third-party proprietary, intellectual property, industrial property, personal rights or other rights, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret or confidentiality obligation; (2) contains lewd, obscene, or pornographic content; or (3) otherwise violates applicable law.
10. No Recourse to Judicial or Other Procedures: To the extent permitted by law, the rights to litigate, to seek injunctive relief or to any other recourse to judicial or any other procedure in case of disputes or claims resulting from or in connection with this Contest are hereby excluded, and any entrant expressly waives any and all such rights. Entrants agree that these Official Rules are governed by the laws of the State of California, United States.
12. LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY: TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, EACH ENTRANT INDEMNIFIES AND AGREES TO KEEP INDEMNIFIED THE SPONSOR AT ALL TIMES FROM AND AGAINST ANY LIABILITY, ACTIONS, CLAIMS, DEMANDS, LOSSES, DAMAGES, COSTS AND EXPENSES RESULTING FROM ANY ACT, DEFAULT OR OMISSION OF THE ENTRANT AND/OR A BREACH OF ANY WARRANTY SET FORTH HEREIN. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, EACH ENTRANT INDEMNIFIES AND AGREES TO KEEP INDEMNIFIED THE SPONSOR AT ALL TIMES FROM AND AGAINST ANY LIABILITY, ACTIONS, CLAIMS, DEMANDS, LOSSES, DAMAGES, COSTS AND EXPENSES FOR OR IN RESPECT OF WHICH THE SPONSOR WILL OR MAY BECOME LIABLE BY REASON OF OR RELATED OR INCIDENTAL TO ANY ACT, DEFAULT OR OMISSION BY AN ENTRANT UNDER THESE OFFICIAL RULES INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION RESULTING FROM OR IN RELATION TO ANY BREACH, NON-OBSERVANCE, ACT OR OMISSION WHETHER NEGLIGENT OR OTHERWISE, PURSUANT TO THESE OFFICIAL RULES BY AN ENTRANT. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, ENTRANTS AGREE TO HOLD SPONSOR, ITS RESPECTIVE DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES AND ASSIGNS HARMLESS FOR ANY INJURY OR DAMAGE CAUSED OR CLAIMED TO BE CAUSED BY PARTICIPATION IN THE CONTEST AND/OR USE OR ACCEPTANCE OF ANY PRIZE WON.
13. Internet: Sponsor is not responsible for electronic transmission errors resulting in omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operations or transmission. Sponsor is not responsible for theft or destruction or unauthorized access to or alterations of entry materials, or for technical, network, telephone equipment, electronic, computer, hardware or software malfunctions or limitations of any kind. Sponsor is not responsible for inaccurate transmissions of or failure to receive entry information by Sponsor on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website or any combination thereof. If for any reason the Internet portion of the Contest is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Contest, Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest.
14. Not An Offer Or Contract of Employment: Under no circumstances shall the submission of an Entry into the Contest, the awarding of a prize, or anything in these Official Rules be construed as an offer or contract of employment with Sponsor. You acknowledge that you have submitted your Entry voluntarily and not in confidence or in trust. You acknowledge that no confidential, fiduciary, agency or other relationship or implied-in-fact contract now exists between you and Sponsor, and that no such relationship is established by your submission of an Entry under these Rules.
15. Severability: If any provision(s) of these Official Rules are held to be invalid or unenforceable, all remaining provisions hereof will remain in full force and effect.
16. Winners List: The names of the prize winners will be available at the University Mapping Contest page on the Map Your World Community site: https://sites.google.com/site/mapyourworldcommunity/competition/university-mapping-competition-for-the-us-and-canada
on or about April 1, 2012 for a period up to 30 days.