How to Map a Golf Course
by Nicholas Vetrovec
Map out a golf course using places, outlines and lines.
Are you a golf enthusiast or just want to map out a local golf course in detail? By following these instructions you can map out a nice-looking golf course.
Here is the list of the features you can map by adding them as a Place—with or without boundary/outline:
Other related categories containing the word Golf may or may not be used when mapping the golf course:
Other golf course features can be mapped by adding them as Outlines (i.e. Natural Features); for example, Water.
1. Add the outer boundary of the Golf course itself and set the category as Golf Course; you may also choose the primary or secondary categories of Golf Club, Private Golf Course, or Public Golf Course depending on the feature. This feature should also contain the contact information of the golf course.
2. Outline the Fairways. Use satellite view at full zoom to be able to see where the boundaries of the fairways actually are. Many golf courses have these areas well defined.
3. Trace the Putting Greens next. Because the Putting Green and Golf Course outlines are very similar in colour, it looks best if you outline the fringe of the Putting Green with the Fairway category then place the Putting Green inside of that.
4. Mark the Hole as a point feature within the Putting Green (illustrated by the small circle in the picture below). It does not have to be exact as golf courses often move the location of their Holes around the Putting Green.
5. Outline the boundary of the Tee locations. There may be multiple tees per hole; outline each separately.
6. Outline the Sand Bunkers accordingly.
8. Outline buildings on the golf course.
9. Mark the Golf Shop as a point.
10. Mark any golf cart paths as a Road with the priority as no auto traffic.
The end result should look something like this:
11. Outline the entire boundary of the hole playing area including the green fairway and tees with rough category. This area is usually lined with trees or paths.
Disc golf (Frisbee golf) should not be marked as a golf course.
Which feature (point or boundary) should contain the name and contact information for the golf course? See step 1