Source: combo of several recipes plus a little Mama Jan Original
- 2½ cups cooked chicken, shredded or cubed (2-3 chicken breasts)
- 1 cup asadero or Asiago cheese, shredded (divided)
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- garlic (a couple cloves), minced
- 1/3 C fresh cilantro, finely chopped (subs. green onions, sliced)
- 1/3 C lowfat sour cream
- 1 4-oz. can chopped green chiles (optional, for heat)
- 1 T lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 14-oz. can mild green enchilada sauce (or try the homemade sauce from this recipe if you have time!)
- 18 6-inch corn tortillas, cut into quarters
- Combine chicken, 1/2 cup of the cheese, onion, garlic, cilantro, sour cream, canned chiles (if desired), lime juice, cumin, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Spread 1/2 cup of the enchilada sauce on the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Layer 1/3 of your tortilla quarters, then half the chicken mixture, 1/3 of your tortillas quarters, the remaining half of the chicken mixture, and finally the remaining tortilla quarters.
- Pour the remaining enchilada sauce on top. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Cook on low for 3-4 hours.
Conventional Oven option:
Follow instructions using a 9x13 casserole dish. Cover with foil and bake 30-40 minutes at 350°.
For shredded chicken (my favorite in any Mexican dish), I place the chicken breasts in my slow cooker. Sprinkle with salt and pepper then pour in enough water or chicken broth to cover the breasts. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. Remove and shred! You can make a bunch and a time and then freeze it in portions. Be sure to remove as much air as possible so your chicken doesn't get freezer burn!