BASIL TOMATO SOUP
source: adapted from allrecipes.com
total time: 20 minutes
- 2 (28oz) cans crushed tomatoes - aim for no-salt added!
- 1 (14.5oz) can vegetable broth
- 18 fresh basil leaves, minced (about a cup of leaves)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup butter
- In a large saucepan, bring the tomatoes and broth to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add basil and sugar. Reduce heat to low, stir in cream and butter. Heat (do not boil) until butter is melted.
BRIE & GOAT CHEESE PANINI
source: adapted from Bobby Flay's recipe
- 8 slices ciabatta, focaccia, herb slab or other favorite bread (we also liked it on sliced sourdough)
- 8 to 12 ounces of good brie
- 8 ounces soft goat cheese
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Heat a cast iron griddle or cast iron pan over medium heat (or your panini grill...).
- Spread butter on 1 side of each slice of bread. Layer four of the slices of the bread with 3 to 4 slices of brie, watercress, and 2 slices of goat cheese (you can freeze the goat cheese slightly to make it easier to slice). Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Place the remaining bread slices on top, butter side up and cook on the griddle until golden brown on both sides and the brie has melted.