source: egg rolls recipe modified from tasteofhome.com, sauce recipe from foodnetwork.com
Yields: 8 servings (2 rolls per serving)
Points: about 1 Weight Watchers point per roll
Honey Soy Dipping Sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
Mix all ingredients except sesame seeds together in a bowl. Cover and chill until ready to serve. Just before serving, add the sesame seeds.
Baked Egg Rolls
- 1/2 head green cabbage, shredded (I use a bag of cabbage-only coleslaw)*
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 1/2 cups mung bean sprouts (or one can, drained)
- 1/2 cup chopped water chestnuts (about 4oz can)
- 1/4 cup chopped green or red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions (3-4 onions)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 16 egg roll wrappers
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Coat a large skillet with cooking spray
- Add the cabbage, carrots, bean sprouts, water chestnuts, bell pepper, green onions, garlic and ginger. Cook and stir over medium heat until vegetable are crisp-tender, about 3 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, water, soy sauce, sesame oil, brown sugar and cayenne until smooth; stir into chicken mixture. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened; remove from the heat.
- Spoon 1/4 cup of chicken mixture on the bottom third of one egg roll wrapper; fold sides toward center and roll tightly. Place seam side down on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray (I use parchment paper). Repeat.
- Spray tops of egg rolls with cooking spray. Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Serve with dipping sauce.
* you can omit the cabbage and substitute 2 cups finely diced cooked chicken or 1 1/4 pounds ground chicken (cooked) if you prefer to have meat in your egg rolls. Add the chicken at the end of step 3.
After rolling all the egg rolls, place baking sheet in freezer until rolls are frozen through. Remove from freezer, wrap individually in plastic wrap and place the rolls into a ziploc freezer bag. Label (including date) and freeze for up to 3 months. Unused egg rolls wrappers can also be frozen (place waxed paper between the sheets and freeze in a ziploc freezer bag).