Summer Veggie Lasagna
- 6 lasagna sheets (I used whole wheat)
- 25 ounces marinara sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 small zucchinis or 1 large (about 1 and 1/4 cup), diced
- 2 small bell peppers or 1 large (about 1/2 cup), diced
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 6 fresh basil leaves, chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 16 ounces part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese for topping (optional)
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook lasagna noodles until al dente
(slightly undercooked) then remove them from the water and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°F and then warm the olive oil in a large skillet over
- Sauté the garlic and onion for about two minutes then add the zucchini, bell
pepper, and corn to the skillet. Continue to cook for about five minutes or
until vegetables are slightly tender, not mushy then remove from heat and set
- While vegetables are cooking, begin preparing the filling by combining the
ricotta cheese, mozzarella, egg, and the seasonings in a large bowl. Stir until
- Grease a 9x9 baking dish and pour enough marinara sauce in the dish so it
just covers the bottom.
- Layer two lasagna sheets on top of the sauce and then spread a layer of
cheese on top of the pasta.
- Next, layer a little less than half of the veggie mixture on top of the
cheese and cover with a thin layer of sauce.
- Repeat steps 6 through 7, then layer the final two lasagna sheets on top.
- Top with remaining vegetables and sauce then sprinkle parmesan cheese on
- Cover lasagna with foil and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for another 25 minutes, then turn the oven to broil for
about 2-3 more minutes so the layer of cheese on top gets golden brown.
- Allow to cool for ten minutes before serving.
Total time: 2 hours (includes 1 hour of prep time)