We are still working dogs during this period of the Covid virus. We are out in the fresh air and easily maintain a safe six foot distance apart. There is very little that anyone would have to touch, except your own dog. Come enjoy the outdoors with your dog
Welcome to Magic's Legacy!
I'm Shannon Wolfe and I love what I do here. Let me share it with you...
I teach students of all levels to work with their dogs to herd livestock for sport, working farms, and just for the plain fun of it.
Herding is the what we do here and I have people from all walks of life come to the farm to work with their dogs on sheep, goats and ducks. They come for the herding... and most end up taking part in the camaraderie of like-minded folks who want to do something totally special with their canine best friend and do it in the fresh air and great outdoors of the rural Wisconsin countryside.
Shannon with Iowa & Brass at City of Chicago's Celtic Fest Sheepherding Demo
Teaching All Levels of Herding
I offer a BEGINNERS PROGRAM designed for people who have no idea what herding is all about but are willing to learn.
I also work with students at ALL LEVELS -- FROM NOVICE THROUGH ADVANCED COMPETITION.
- Each student and dog team are unique and I tailor my training to fit them personally and to meet the goals they are striving for.
- Every day I learn something from my students and their dogs and I use that insight to become a better teacher.
- Many of my students go on to trial competitively all over the country.
A first lesson
Life at the Farm
Life at the farm entails much more than just PRIVATE LESSONS.
Also offered are:
- HERDING DEMONSTRATIONS
- At your facility for your own events
- HERDING INSTINCT TESTS
- See if your dog has the ability to herd
- Groups sessions to work on particular skills
- Test your skills right at our farm in a formal Trial
- FUN DAYS
- For practice, fun, potluck & friends
Building a partnership
Magic's Legacy is a Working Farm
I raise my own sheep and ducks specifically to work with dogs in-training. I take great pride in my flocks and work hard to be a good stockman and shepherd.
Spectators are always welcome at the farm
You can either watch lessons or see what's going on at any of the instinct test or trials. You can learn a lot about herding -- and the people who love herding -- by simply stopping by.
- Email me to find out when lessons will be in progress.
- You can also check out Coming Events to see what activities are scheduled soon. Also listed are herding demonstrations that are held periodically all over the area... even in the heart of downtown Chicago.
- Take a look at What Folks Have to Say to find out what other people have experienced with their dogs right here on the farm.
It's positively thrilling to see a dog do what he was born to do!
I work with all breeds of herding dogs (and the different mixes of those breeds) to help them reach their own potential.
- Even more exciting is seeing the huge smiles on the faces of my students as they take their own steps through the journey called herding.
Dorothy & Ellie
Magic's Legacy is my full-time occupation
I feel very fortunate to work at something I feel so passionate about. I've worked with herding dogs professionally since 1990 and have a great love in sharing my experience and that passion with my students.
The working farm of Magic's Legacy
We're located outside Genoa City, WI, near the IL/WI state line. Folks from all over Northern Illinois and Southern Wisconsin come regularly for lessons. Our trials draw competitors from all over the Midwest.
Peggy & Ace
Lynn & Krea
Website Photo Credits
Almost all of the great photos used in this site were provided by Dick Bruner, professional photographer extraordinaire and my good friend for decades. Dick is known around the country for his terrific action shots capturing herding dogs working, agility dogs flying, and draft horses pulling their loads at events far and wide. Dick has my sincere gratitude for helping me make this website a place where you can see real people and their dogs captured in real situations doing something they truly love.
You can see more of Dick's work at: