For press information contact:
MEDIA ADVISORY – REVISED on 8/13/13
BANNER WEEKEND COMMEMORATES DEFENDERS’ DAY
Public invited to celebrate Maryland’s own
special holiday “Defenders’ Day”
NEW FOR 2013:
· U.S. Mint to launch new quarter featuring Fort McHenry!
· Special Flag-Raising 30 X 42 foot hand-made American flag by Maryland Historical Society! Arlington National Cemetery horse-drawn caisson with U.S. Army Old Guard procession with the flag!
· U.S. Army Drill Team, Field Band & Soldiers’ Chorus to perform!
WHAT: STAR-SPANGLED BANNER WEEKEND!
Commemorates Defenders’ Day, Baltimore’s oldest holiday, which honors the successful defense of the city from British attack and the writing of the National Anthem in 1814
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 13
· 9:00AM – 1PM: Young Defenders Day! 1,500 Maryland elementary & middle school students enjoy a fun educational program interacting with 15 stations: singing the National Anthem, unrolling the huge 30 x 42-foot flag, experience living history with the Fort McHenry Guard, cannon-firing and “drilling” with wooden muskets. In partnership with the Friends of Fort McHenry, the Fort will officially launch Educational Initiative 200 for the 200th Anniversary of the War of 1812, an educational program in which 200 new schools will visit Fort McHenry each year of the bicentennial. Made possible with a grant from Star-Spangled 200, the program involves new lesson plans, funding for buses and teacher workshops.
· 10 AM – 10:30 AM: Special Fort McHenry Quarter Launch! The newest quarter in the United States Mint America the Beautiful Quarters® Program for 2013 features Fort McHenry! The official quarter launch includes a traditional “coin pour”, with representatives of Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine, the Treasurer of the United States Rosa Rios, Congressmen Ruppersberger and Sarbanes, Mayor Rawlings-Blake, others, and over 250 students. Children 18 and under attending the event will receive a free Fort McHenry quarter. All visitors will be able to exchange cash for new Fort McHenry quarters in $10 increments throughout the day (while supplies last), courtesy M&T Bank. There is a $10, one roll minimum and $100, 10 roll maximum.
· 5:45PM: Flag Ceremony at Federal Hill then a procession down Riverside Avenue – Colorful ceremony featuring flag-raising at the top of Federal Hill with the Fort McHenry Guard, fife and drum music. Visitors invited to participate in unrolling the Star-Spangled Banner flag! In 1814, the Federal Hill cannon sounded the alarm of the arrival of the British fleet. 199 years later, the cannon will fire and 80 Living Historians will place a wreath at the monuments to General Sam Smith and Major George Armistead. Following the ceremony, the Fort McHenry Guard will lead a procession down Riverside Avenue to Riverside Park where there will be a short fife and drum concert and commemoration of Fort Lookout (now Riverside Park).
· 7 – 7:30PM: Parade continues (last leg of grand procession) in Locust Point: Hull St. to Fort Ave. to Fort McHenry.
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 14 & SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 15: DEFENDERS’ DAY EVENTS
6PM: Events assisted by the Friends of Fort McHenry: Greetings by city officials and state dignitaries, kickoff begins with a procession by the U.S. Army Old Guard. See the same horse-drawn caisson used at Arlington National Cemetery as it triumphantly bears the replica hand-made Star-Spangled Banner Flag in procession. See the flag as it is ceremoniously raised over the fort! The U.S. Army Drill Team will showcase precision drill followed by a cannon-firing “battle” demonstrating the tactics used to defend Baltimore in 1814; patriotic concert by the U.S. Army Field Band and Soldiers’ Chorus - Cannons fire during the “1812 Overture”!
Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine
FOR MORE INFORMATION: 410-962-4290 or www.nps.gov/fomc
**For everyone’s safety and security, all packages will be inspected **