A Touch of History

Madison township received its earliest settlers from a thrifty, hardy race of people who came from the Highlands of Scotland. The tract taken up by them was chiefly in what is now Madison township; it measured ten miles in length: From three to five miles in width, and was known as the " Scotch settlement.." One of the first to locate upon this tract was Andrew McPherson, who came over in 1802 with two sons and two daughters, and took up the southeast quarter of section 36. Madison township was organized in 1809 and its earliest villages, Williamsport , Glasgow and West Point are still in existence. Williamsport was laid out in 1835 and named for the builder of the first mill there, William Crawford. Glasgow, laid out in 1852, reflects in its name the Scottish heritage of organizer William McBane. West Point was named a postal station in 1836.

This history information was collected from the following website:  www.rootsweb.ancestry.com


Morgan's Surrender Monument,West Point, Madison Township, Columbiana County, Ohio
This marks the northernmost point ever reached by Confederate forces during the Civil War.



Comments