It recorded the first black vote
in a legislature--Mathias de Sousa, 1642.
The county saw colonial wars with Indians,
the Revolution, the War of 1812, and the Civil War.
Maddox men found in History of St.
Mary's County, 1634-1990
Finding Samuel Maddox's home
A Kansas City researcher traveled to St Marys and searched, presumably FOUND Samuel Maddox's Homestead. Larry Maddox's article.
American Revolutionary War
The county militia, consisted of
two battalions, an Upper Battalion and a Lower Battalion, so named to designate
their location in the county. Each battalion was comprised of nine companies.
In August 1777, a commission was issued to Second Lieut. Samuel MADDOX and he
was assigned to the Upper Battalion
War of 1812
Hundreds of St. Mary's County men
served in the military forces during the War of 1812. Pvt. Samuel MADDOX was
assigned to Capt. Thomas Blakiston's Company; also John MADDOX and Sam MADDOX
were assigned to Capt. William T. Lee's Company. Ensign James MADDOX and Pvt.
Edward MADDOX were assigned to Captain Thomas G. Neale's Company of the 45th
Regiment, St. Mary's County. Ensign William T. MADDOX was assigned to Capt.
William Bean's Company and also assigned to Capt. Enoch J. Millard's Company,
12th Regiment, St. Mary's County, which was comprised of men from the southern
half of St. Mary's County. One other Maddox mentioned was Captain MADDOX who
served in other units.
The United States declared war on
Mexico in May 1846, a war that was fought by recruits from the then twenty-nine
states. Men from St. Mary's County, Maryland comprised a small group of that
volunteer army. Second Lieut. Joseph H. MADDOX was commissioned on February 17,
The January 3, 1861, Beacon
carried the following notice:
Volunteers wanted. Citizens of
the County desirous of uniting in formation of a Calvalry Company are requested
to leave their name at the store of Messrs. Simms and MADDOX in this village
The August 22, 1861, issue of the
St. Mary's Beacon reported "Another Federal Visit: About 200 marines and
sailors were landed from the steamboats "Freeborn," "Baltimore," and Resolute,"
entered Leonardtown, and made a thorough search of dwellings and adjacent
buildings. On September 5, it was reported that Federal marines had surrounded
the house of Joseph M. MADDOX near Herring Creek and had arrested Joseph M. and
Thomas H. MADDOX. Lieut. Joseph H. MADDOX served on detached duty during the
Civil War. He died at his home in Alexandria, Virginia on May 4, 1887. Ref:
Pension application #4889, Certificate #23, Mexican War Pensions under Act of
January 29, 1887. National Archives, Washington, D.C.
Samuel MADDOX & Ann
MADDOX & Margaret Goldsmith
Notley MADDOX & Mary
& Elizabeth Jennifer
Col. John MADDOX & Martha Harris
William Theobolt MADDOX & Ann Marie
MADDOX. He married Laura Elizabeth Williams
Maddoxes who held office in
In 1798 the Maryland Legislature
passed an act authorizing the governor to appoint a seven-man Levy Court as
administrators of county government. This act continued in effect for St.
Mary's County until 1839. William T. MADDOX was appointed in 1830. In 1818 he
was listed as St. Mary's County sheriff. In 1843 he was appointed as Clerk of
the Circuit Court. The clerk's position since colonial times has been one of
prestige and many duties. The title "Clerk of the Circuit Court" originated
with the Maryland Constitution in 1851. A five-member Board of County
Commissioners form of government remained in effect in St. Mary's County until
1892. In 1853 and 1855 Edmund S. T. MADDOX was elected to district #4. It
was reported in the St. Mary's Beacon on May 20, 1876 that Senator MADDOX died
in office. He was a member of the St. Mary's County Bar and served as state
senator. Mr. George Fred MADDOX was elected State's Attorney for St. Mary's
County in 1863. He was also elected to the Maryland Senate in 1866, 1867 and
1869. House of Delegates: Samuel MADDOX was a representative in the House of
Delegates during the period 1821-1822. St. Mary's County marine police included
William H. MADDOX.
Maddox Post Office, named for a
family "native" to St. Mary's County since the 1660's, was established in 1892.
The post office was officially discontinued in 1960, but each day the mail was
brought to Maddox from Chaptico and Elsie S. Raley, clerk in charge, continued
to provide postal facilities and services for the people of that area. That
service ended in July 1990 when Mrs. Raley retired. George William MADDOX was
appointed Postmaster of Maddox, Maryland on August 23, 1892.
World War I
Listed as a St. Mary's County
Maryland veteran extracted from Maryland in the World War 1917-1919 (Maryland
War Records Commission, Baltimore, 1933): William Jennings MADDOX, Address:
Maddox, MD, Place of Birth: Maddox, MD, Birth Date or age at date of Ind:
4-5-98, Service: United States Army, Page: 1310.
Clifton Factory, Great Mills,
Machinery for the "manufacture of
cotton, woolen, and grist, and a weavinghouse, sulphur house, sawmill and a 60
ft. long tannery. The property also included an eleven-room "tavern" with
kitchen, smokehouse, dairy, stables, tailor's house and shop, a dwelling house,
four other houses for hands, a three-room storehouse, 520 acres of land, cotton
yarn, raw cotton, corn, wheat, cart, oxen, and many other miscellaneous items.
Although the company's assets were liquidated to settle the lawsuit, Clifton
Factory continued to operate as a cotton factory. In 1860 the business was
incorporated under the name of The Clifton Manufacturing Company, Inc. with the
capital stock valued at $25 per share. One of the incorporators was Joseph H.
MADDOX. However, this attempt to execute a revival for Clifton Factory was
(Exerpted from HISTORY OF ST.
MARY'S COUNTY, MARYLAND 1634 - 1990, Copyright 1991, By Regina
Combs Hammett (Second printing
1994) Library of Congress Catalog Card Number
St Mary's City Official