|Sailing wooden ships
Voyages were continuous work for
the crew. There was endless painting, scraping and mending of wood, rope and
sail. Wooden ships always leaked so sailors used log pumps to clear out the
The skill and experience of the
ships' masters, the captains, made all the difference in a trans-Atlantic
voyage. Their judgement would direct the the vessels through storms, calms, and
pirates. Seventeenth century navigation was a 'seat of the pants' business.
Mariners had a compass to steer and could measure latitude by the sun and stars,
but longitude could only be gauged by estimating a ship's speed and
For sailors and settlers alike,
the voyages were uncomfortable and risky. For the settlers, like the first
Maddox immigrants the trip was the first of many struggles for a new life in
Maddox Captains a Maryland
The Schooner Henery &
Rebecah sold and delivered this day as joint property, now lying in
Chaptico Bay for the sum of $1200.00. An effort was made to find out
more about the Henery & Rebecah, but no one remembered anything about her.
An in-quiry was then sent to the National Archives and records Service, and they
forwarded this information:
The Schooner Henery &
Rebecah was built at Maiden Bower Creek ( White's Neck), St Mary's Co,
Maryland in 1816-1817, and was registered under the names of Philip Turner
and George Morgan. She was a two-masted scooner of 54 1/2 tons, 56 feet long,17
1/2 feet wide. She was re-registered under the names of Philip Turner and
Charles Shaw December 11, 1820 and Samuel J. Maddox was her captain.
After the death of Captain Maddox she was sold to Ignatius Luckell, Alexander
Greer, and John T. Speak, all of Charles County, and captained bt Henry Rogers.
There are no more records after 1825.
>From the book YESTERDAY IN OLD ST.
MARY'S COUNTY By Robert E.T. Pogue
Above: Dove's captain oversees his
Turn of the Century Oyster Battles "A naval
battle between a fleet of eight Oyster-dredging boats and the Major Murray and
the Accomac, of the Maryland and Virginia oyster navies, took place today on the
Potomac River off the mouth of Port Tobacco Creek, resulting in the
capture of the eight oyster boats. The captains of The dredgers were taken off
the boats and the whole fleet, escorted by the police, proceeded down the river
to Brush wood."
Captured violators were usually taken to Brush Wood wharf, where the
magistrate was summoned, and the trial was held on the spot. Justice was quick
and effective. In 1906 an Eastern Shore dredger name Alex Harris lost his life
at Brush Wood wharf because he failed to stop when ordered to by Captain Douglas
Russell of the police Schooner Bessie Jones. Captain Harris started the
shooting by firing on The Bessie Jones, and went captain Douglas and his mate
returned the fire Harris was shot between the eyes. Captain Douglas and his crew
were completely exonerated by but corner’s jury, of course.
The Bessie Jones was one of the earliest police Schooners to patrol the
waters of the Wicomico and Potomac. Captain George W. (Willie) Maddox,
of the Chaptico district captained her for many years. Captain Maddox was a
descendant of Captain Samuel J. Maddox, who sailed the Schooner Henry and
Rebecca in 1818, mentioned in an earlier chapter. The Bessie Jones was a very
beautiful and famous schooner, celebrated in song and story.