Maddox- Harris Marriages among Settlers
Before 1800, Notley
Maddox brought his wife and children from Maryland, over the
and to the Kentucky frontier. It was a dangerous trip and a dangerous
new land. 1784 was the same year Simon Kenton built the first fortified
stockade at the mouth of Limestone Creek. It became known as Kenton's
Station and was protection from raiding Indians.
Veterans from the Revolutionary War poured into Va.'s Military District
because payment for war service was in bounty land. The higher in rank
the officer, the larger the grant. Several on the Licking River were
One of these tracts
become the home of Charles Harris some 23 years later. Parts
of the land on Harrisburgh Hill in Campbell Co have remained in the
family for 185 years.
Due to continued
across the river from Chillicothe villages, there was a general militia
conscription of all able-bodied men between the ages of 18 to 45. George
Harris joined the Ky. militia soon after his arrival in Limestone. He
through the ranks to became captain of the 15th Regiment in 1797.
married Martha "Patsey" Maddox, sister of his friend and
Maddox on Oct. 21, 1801. Two months later George was best man at is
brother-in-law Hezekiah's wedding to George's sister, Rhoda Harris,
Dec. 26, 1801. Within a year, both families moved west into the newly
formed Campbell County, settling on one of the vast tracts along the
owned by John Grant.
The town called
was laid out east bank of the Licking. Nothing came of Harris's attempt
to settle the river town. Frequent floods inundated the low-lying bottom
lands discouraging settlement. Undeterred, George Harris built a few
and lived on the property for many years until his death in 1834.
John Harris, s/o
& Mary Green Harris of Worcester Co Md., built a log house atop
Hill in 1810. His family were members of Pleasant Ridge Baptist Church
near Grant's Lick, Ky.
Some of the earliest
Maddoxes are buried there. Today restoration is underway, but the
old log cabin has not been lived in for many years.
to Ohio," Adventures in Frontier America Series by Catherine E.
The Harris Log Cabin - photo by Pat Doster.
famous stagecoach inn
A southern Ohio
of Cincinnati became known as a welcome rest stop and resort through
of the 1800's. It was operated by Elisha Harris and his wife
Ann Maddox (1810-1889, his first cousin and a daughter of Hezekiah
Maddox/Rhoda Harris.) Elisha's father, Charles B Harris (1778-1854)
built Snow Hill Inn about 80 miles north of where the Kentucky Maddoxes
and Harrises settled. (Snow Hill was named after Snow Hill, Md. and
Snow Hill, England where the Harrises came from.
| || Snow
Hill; Innkeepers Elisha and Nancy (Maddox) Harris. Photos and story from
the book Snow Hill Remembered, Richard Stevens, Heritage Books.|
Elisha helped build
a boy with his father. He and Nancy later bought the hotel from Charles
and then an adjoining tavern. Elisha ran the tavern for the rest
of his life while Nancy was mistress of the hotel and resort for nearly
The Snow Hill resort
described in newspapers as a grand place known for good food, good
and good taste. One account told of guests borrowing hotel clothes
suitable for dinner and while they feasted on corn bread, chicken, eggs,
venison, bacon and buckwheats, the tavern boy would shine the guests'
shoes and clean their clothes. Nancy's 1889 obituary credits much
of the resort's success to "her faithfulness to the idea of duty...What
ought to be done could be done and must be done."
Elisha and Nancy's
Lucy ran Snow Hill after they died. But Snow Hill's heyday was over
when the railroads began carrying the travelers who had found the old
stop a refuge. When Lucy died in 1898, the landmark stagecoach inn
fell out of Harris hands and into disrepair. The great hostel was
sold at auction--its windows broken and the house used for twenty years
to store grain. In 1929, Nancy Harris Crebbs, rebuilt her
grandfather Elisha's inn. Mrs Crebbs had grown up at Snow Hill but
had gone to make her life in Cincinnati where she became successful and
had married George Dent Crebbs, a Proctor & Gamble executive.
Nancy Norma Crebbs restored the old inn where she was reared into
a country club with a vast golf course.
of Samuel Benjamin Spaulding and Minnie Jane Dawson, of
Lick, Campbell Co, Ky. who married Oct. 20, 1889 in Alexandria, in
of Squire Bell. The bride was 15 when she married Samuel Spaulding,
of Patsy Maddox Harris (1773-1836.) He was 22. They
lived all their lives on farm in Grant's Lick near Licking River; Samuel
Spaulding d. Oct. 24, 1940; Minnie Jane Spaulding d. June 15, 1955. They
reared three sons & six daughters. A granddaughter is this website's
Pat Doster. Spauldings too originated in Maryland, from Thomas