If you are an off-campus student, you will first need to follow the steps on this page to connect to the McMaster network.
McMaster students have set up a file-sharing network, known as DC++ that allows you to share your files and download files from other McMaster students. If you are on-campus, you can access any of the material that is shared on the network. However, if you are off-campus, you can only access about 90% of the files because some people have limited themselves to the McMaster network. There are lots of things on there, such as movies, games, textbooks, tests, notes, and more. I have much more stuff there than I have here, since I have a 1GB limit on this website, so I highly suggest you start using it.
To use it, you must download a DC++ host. Next, add the following hub: machub.dyndns.org.
For Windows, DOWNLOAD HERE: http://sourceforge.net/projects/dcplusplus/files/DC%2B%2B%200.791/DCPlusPlus-0.791.exe/download
For Mac, DOWNLOAD HERE: http://shakespeer.en.softonic.com/mac/download
1. Go to file and then settings
2. Select Sharing (then search your laptop for movies/music.. etc and you must upload at least 500 MB of content before you can actually start downloading from other people) There will be a progress bar of DC++ hashing (basically indexing and making a list of all your material). Note: it is expected that you share at least 5GB of material, however, it is not mandatory. It is also expected that you have a minimum 1MB/s upload speed (mine is 125MB/s).
**Make sure you have 2 extra empty upload slots open (ie if you have one folder of uploads, then you should have a total of three upload slots)
3. Once thats done click okay at the bottom
4. Click on the star symbol at the top (which is favourites)
5. Click new and then in address enter in: machub.dyndns.org
6. Put in anything you want for all the other information (I recommend, Residence and Faculty)
7. Click okay and then double click on the hub and your in :D
- Kitarity has lots of Music, Manga, TV Shows, Anime, and Movies
- WuZheng has applications, TV Shows, and random stuff.
- jaggedcow has a lot of new and old Movies, TV Shows, and other random stuff.
- Duartes16 has a lot of school stuff, movies, TV shows, and Documentaries
- Share. Share a lot. This system only works if everyone contributes something.
- If no one downloads the stuff you offer for about a week or two try swapping it to something different.
- Did I mention sharing?
If it's not working you are probably doing one of two things:
1) You are searching in the chat bar
2) You are not in passive mode
3) You aren't sharing enough
4) Your firewall is blocking it.
Further Reading on some functions: