A Lyttelton Heritage Project
1901 - June - The Duke & Duchess of Cornwall aboard the chartered P&O liner Ophir visited the Port.
1901 - Nov 29 - Community association with Antarctic exploration begins when Robert Scott’s Discovery providored at the port on her way South. The vessel cast off at 2 pm after farewell service by Bishop Julius. Scott's relief vessel Morning visited the following year.
1905 - Oct 7 - The T.S.S. Maori commenced an over night passenger service to Wellington, excluding Sundays.
1905 - The Canterbury Orphanage moved away from the town after fire badly damaged its buildings.
1907 - Tug Canterbury enters service, now Lyttelton. History of the Lyttelton
1908 - Jan 8 - Ernest Shackleton’s Nimrod sailed for Antarctica. A crowd estimated as high as 50,000 watched the departure, probably the largest in the port's history.
(300 x 222 px)
1910 - Nov 26 - The ill-fated second Scott expedition leaves on the Terra Nova, bound for Antarctica.
1912 - Mar 3 - Early on a Friday morning a photographer captures a view across the lower township and Erskine Bay.
1912 - Aug - King George V Seamen's Institute opened at Eastern end of Norwich Quay, now the Museum.
(1024 x 759 px)
1913 - British Battlecruiser HMS New Zealand visits the port.
(700 x 527 px)
1917 - Harbour Light Theatre opened at 24 London Street.
(800 x 600 px)
1918 - Quail Island barracks (built 1874) used to house Spanish influenza patients.
1919 - Sep 2 - H.M.S. New Zealand, a British Battlecruiser at Port.
(700 x 539 px)
1920 - May - Battleship HMS Renown, with the Prince of Wales aboard in port.
(565 x 365 px)
1920 - The Sumner Road had been completed by 1858, but the notorious zig-zag near the top of Evans Pass, on the Lyttelton side, was not eliminated until 1920.
1921 - Jul - The 5,806 ton, 418 ft, France II, largest sailing vessel ever built, discharged Coal at the port.
(700 x 908 px)
1921 - Prison closed.
Circa 1900. (1089 x 768 px)
1923 - The 1857 sailing vessel Belle Isle is beached at Quail Island. Belle Isle's History
(600 x 486 px)
1923-4 - Prison demolished.
Surviving 1870 Cell block (698 x 325 px)
1924 - Dr Upham, who practised in Lyttelton for many years, was looking after the Lepers on Quail Island.
1927 - Mar - Duke and Duchess of York (later King George VI & Queen Elizabeth) visited the port aboard H.M.S. Renown.
1927 - Oct 13 - The 1863 barque La Plata beached at Quail Island. La Plata's History
(600 x 545 px)
1929 - Feb 14 - First Electreic train service to Christchurch.
1932 - Feb 11 - Whilst being towed from the inner harbour by H.M.S.Wakakura, assisted by H.M.S. Laburnum and the tug Lyttelton, the ss Breeze of 1909 broke adrift, going aground in Breeze Bay , where parts of her wreck are still visible. Breeze's History.
(318 x 217 px)
1934 - The port was visited by 1,441 ships and dealt with 550,079 tons of cargo.
1935 - Nov 4 - Built as the Signe in 1891, the Wai-iti was scuttled in Starvation Bay on Godley Head. Wai-iti's History
(336 x 238 px)
1936 - The three-masted iron schooner Frank Guy of 1875 beached on Quail Island. Frank Guy's History
(600 x 490 px)
1937 - Labour Politician John McAlpine begins a 17 year career as board member and sometime chairman of the Lyttelton Harbour Board.
1937 - Iron hulled Barque Raupo, built as the Peru in 1876, beached at Quail Island. Raupo's History
(245 x 252 px)
1938 - A painting; Lyttelton from the Bridle Path (1937) by Sydney LoughThompson (1877-1973) is commissioned by W. K. McAlpine, Chairman of the Lyttelton Harbour Board. However it's alleged that it turned out to be too large for the boardroom and the following year the Harbour Board presented it to the Robert McDougall Art Gallery.
(1024 x 657 px)
1939 - April 6 - T.E.V. Rangatira sets a record of 8 hours and 8 minutes for a passage to Wellington.
1939 - Jun - Harbour Board's steam tug Lyttelton II enters service. History of the Tug
1940 - Oxford St Primary School (1875) and adjacent Colonist's Hall (1863) demolished.
(1024 x 768 px)
1940 - Dec 29 - The 6,000 ton inter-island ferry Rangatira ran aground at Pigeon Bay near the entrance to Lyttleton Harbour.
(378 x 138 px)