News‎ > ‎

LP Steering Committee Minutes, 7/16/19

posted Jul 19, 2019, 1:52 PM by Sara Erickson

Lyons Prepared

Minutes 7/16//19

Lyons Fire Station

 

Members Present: Aaron Caplan, Linda Vahrenkamp, Tosh Golias; Joe Lampe, Gayle Gordon, Sara Erickson, Kristen Johnson, Keith Rousil, Ben Herr, Brian Roberts, Jenny McDade, Penny Hobert, Linda Brome, Brian Roberts

 

I.          Tosh Golias-Radio Test set for August 20, 2019 at 6:30 p.m.


II.         Gayle Gordon-Update on Emergency Preparedness Fair


         A.         Fair is set for September 21, 2019 from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.

 

  B.         Activities/Participants-Keith will have a first aid table. Joycelyn is lining up participants from OCM. A vendor from a fire extinguisher company will have a table.

 

 C.        Prizes-Jenni is working on give-aways. Jenni has obtained gift cards from Target and Oscar Blues. Clark’s Hardware has donated flashlights

 

 D.        Publicity-Gayle has sent the flyer to the town the for the email
 blast. The town will list the event in the utility bill. Ben will ask Mimi to write
 press releases for the Lyons Recorder and the Redstone Review. Tosh will list
 the event on the LP website. Members will use their internal neighborhood
 channels to publicize the event. Gayle will ask Joycelyn to post on Lyons
 Happenings. Flyers can be set out at the Post Office and other venues in town.
 Sara will prep the flyers

 

 E.         Other-Penny and Linda will sit at the sign in table.  Kristin and Sara will sit at the LP information table. Sara will make a placard acknowledging the vendors who have donated. John has reported that he has difficulty contacting the Boy Scouts. Jenni reported that the Girl Scouts may make posters advertising the event in the schools. Jenni is further exploring other projects for the Girl Scouts. Kristin reported that CSU extension may been involved.       

    

III.        Aaron Caplan- Update on Scenario Planning

 

A.        The Chief has okayed the high-level plan.  The scenario is set for Saturday, October 5, 2019 starting at 9:00 a.m. with lunch following.

 

B.        The scripting is done beforehand, and LP will not have a person to assist the Fire Department with the scenario. LP members can be at the Fire station to observe.

 

 

IV.        Linda Vahrenkamp-Update on Membership List.

 

A.        Linda updated membership list and shared how to access it

on the website. Linda will keep membership information updated on the website. Linda passed out the contact list and had every check for accuracy. Linda will then send a pdf to members

 

V.         Other Business

 

A.        Tosh shared that Shannon has advised that he has limited time
to come to LP meetings and our events because he works full time and is now
a Lyons Fire Department volunteer. The Board agreed to continue him as a

        member even though he can’t participate as often as he would like.

 

B.      Aaron wondered if LP should be activated even when normal
channels of communication are still up, e.g. during a wild fire. Tosh
shared that the Chief has expressed the thought that LP could be a line of
communication in the event of an emergency even when LP is not officially
activated. Tosh advised that dispatch could call members from a list that
would be kept on file at the Department if they want LP involvement in an
 affected neighborhood. Members can also call in if they are aware of a
potential emergency

 

C.        Linda and Penny will be getting a radio for their neighborhood. They will work out a sharing plan. Kristin has a LP radio.

 

Next Meeting:  September 17, 2019, 6:30 p.m.

 

 

           

           

 

 

 

 





 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

III.       

 

                        Total of $1,604.02 in funds.

 

            III.        Review of 2018 Action Plan

 

            IV.      2019 Goals:  Recruit for Apple Valley and Eagle Canyon. Continue to expand ourreach efforts. Individual contune to apply for funding sources and continue to apply

for recognition award.

 

V.  Other Items: Ben will could represent _____ Gray Mountain area. Linda shared the Spring Gulch plan. Joycelyn reported that the town rep from Lyons Human Services and Aging Commission thought we were interested in a emergency contact list of vunerable populations. This is not true. Tosh has sent emails saying we are not interested.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ga

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1-Meetings on the 3rd Tuesday of the month in February, May, August and November. (November meeting on second Tuesday of the month due to Thanksgiving. Time remains: 6:30 p.m.-8:00 p.m. Joe suggested that an ad hoc meeting could be held if there is a need. We can continue to assess what works for the LP Board.

 

2-Radio Check-Ins at 6:30 p.m. on the 3rd Tuesday of non-meeting months-January, March, April, June, July, September and October  (no check in for December)

 

3-Scenario Training once per year (2018 date: September 1)

 

4-Additional trainings/outreach efforts as decided by the group (CPR/First Aid, Summer Concert Series, National Night Out, etc.)

 

5. Changes for New Members. New members will be expected to attend scenarios and radio training and attend 3 meetings per year. New Members will have a 6 month trial period. New members will come to another members house for radio nights.

 

II.         Recruitment. We still need to recruit new members for neighborhoods without a

            neighborhood contact person.

 

III.        Outreach activities

 

Aaron suggested that the Summer Concert Series table has not reached that many people. Ken suggested a float at the or Halloween or Christmas parade. Sara will take lead on the project.  Joycelyn, Aaron Ken and Gayle will be on committee.

Action Item: Sara will present ideas at the August Meeting.

 

We will have have a table at National Night Out on August 7, 2018

 

IV.         Banner: Thank you to Ken and Gayle for donating the payment for the banner.

 

 

 

 

 

V.        Go Bags

 

  1. Tosh reviewed go-bag handouts with group.  X-Freedom 40L Molle Waterproof Day Pack in black. The bags should be organized uniformly with a diagram of what is in each bag and where items are located in each bag. Supply bags should be labeled and dated (some items expire)

 

  1. One bag each for the following areas: Town North, Town South, Stone Canyon, Longmont Dam Rd, Spring Gulch, Dakota Ridge and Hwy 36 West of Blue Mountain

 

  1. Group reviewed price list for bags and supplies in bags.

 

      4.   A round of applause for Tosh for all the work done on getting the Go Bags operational.

 

VI.      Scenario is 9/15/18. Keith and Joycelyn will join Emily in planning the event and

           will work at the Fire Station during the scenario.

 

VII.    Redstone Review Article: A big thank-you to Shannon for his article in the Redstone

          Review.

 

Radio Check-Ins:

June 19, 2018 at 6:30 p.m.

July 17, 2018 at 6:30 p.m.

 

Next meeting:

8/21/18 at 6:30 p.m.

Comments