About Us‎ > ‎

History

The roots of the Lyme Town  Band go back to the 1840s.  Letters between two
Lyme musicians, David (D.C.) Hall and his brother, Rhodolph indicate the existence of a
band in Lyme in the early 1840s.

Both of the Hall brothers went on to attain prominence in American band music during
the second half of the 19th century, D.C. as instrument maker and leader of the Boston
Brass Band and Rhodolph as featured clarinet and cornet soloist touring the country,
Cuba, and England. Their activities are chronicled in The Hall Letters, a collection of
about 350 letters between members of the Hall family transcribed by Robert E. Eliason of
the upper Valley and published privately.

Instruments made by D.C. Hall can be heard in New England the last week of July each
year played by the Yankee Brass Band, a band playing mid 19th century music on period
instruments. A D.C. Hall echo cornet once belonging to Rhodolph is on display in the
Lyme Library.

A bandstand was built on the Lyme Common by Walter Piper sometime before 1906. It
was gone by 1925. It is not known if there was any Lyme Band activity in the 1920s, 30s,
or 40s. However, items in the local Hanover Gazette made it clear that an active Lyme Town
Band existed around the late 1950s, and early 1960s.

Don Wendlant, the Dartmouth College band director in the 1970s, gave advice and
encouragement to Earl and Beverly Strout around 1981 to revive the Lyme Town  Band.
Today we are happy to have Mark Nelson conducting the Lyme Town Band with his vast knowledge
of musical repertoire.


The 1890 Lyme Town  Band
Comments