No matter how you obtained your service position in connection with a service-learning class, it's vitally important to make a good impression while you're on site. This video explains why, and offers (and explains) ten tips to help you be the best volunteer you can be:
- Approach volunteering as you would a job search
- Know what you can (and can't) offer
- Do your research before contacting an organization
- Be clear when communicating with the organization
- Be patient in awaiting organization responses
- Be flexible about your expectations
- Treat your position as if it were a paid job
- Stay focused on your learning goals while on site
- Document your position and work appropriately
- When in doubt, ASK.
These tips and more can also be found on the service-learning program website.
Key forms for documenting your position (i.e. the Service-Learning Agreement and instructions for creating experiential learning records in LOCUS) and your hours of service (i.e. the Hours Log) can be found below