- desserts made with local foraged ingredients
- hear how George Walker produced a batch of vegan organic UK-grown flour
- how to reduce packaging (& cost) by making your own almond milk or oat custard
- other great things we haven’t thought of yet
Well if you can make / bake a vegan treat please bring it to share, and if not, even more reason to come along and learn! www.VeganBaking.net is a really helpful website.
Think about using local, organic and/or fairtrade ingredients for the icing on the ethical cake.
Want to do a demo, make a suggestion, promote a relevant organisation or help out? Contact info@LVE.org.uk or call Gemma on 078 06 87 05 05.
✔ English grown flour. A lot of labelling is shamefully deceptive - you may think you're buying UK-grown flour, but it's actually imported grain that's been milled over here.✔ Organic European fruit & nuts. Silly to bring them all the way from America.✔ Fairtrade organic chocolate & raw organic sugar.✔ Known provenance. Even if our ingredients are grown in Timbuktu, it’s just nice to be told. Demand proper labelling. And watch out for ‘vegan’ foods from unethical suppliers. Use your buying power!
✘ Eggs: Yup - it’s a total myth that cakes need eggs. In fact yeast was originally used to raise cakes. [See Flax seed & egg replacer]✘ Soya milk: Let’s restrict our use of this highly packaged imported bean-flavoured water that’s been driven all round the country /continent. [See Not milk]✘ Lemon / orange juice: Use organic English cider vinegar instead for a bit of acidity✘ Supermarkets: Totally incompatible with sustainability! Support your local independent retailers and keep the money circulating in your community. Or buy direct from small UK producers. BigBarn.co.uk can help.
- Worldwide Vegan Bake Sale t-shirt design competition (Enter by March 2nd) VeganBakeSale.org
- Read about production of the first batch of Vegan Organic flour
- More than just recipes - VeganBaking.net
- Find out the truth behind the brands EthicalConsumer.org
- FairTrade.org.uk. (Because the alternative is unfair)
- BigBarn.co.uk provides a marketplace to buy directly from small producers
- VeganCampaigns.org.uk actively promoting vegan cake-eating in London
- Read about Transition Dartmouth Park TransitionDartmouthPark.org.uk
- How to forage floral ingredients UrbanHarvest.org.uk
- BlackCatCafe.co.uk lovely vegan caf in E5
- MsCupcake.co.uk vegan bakery open every day in SW9
- CookiesAndScream.com vegan bakery open every day in NW1
- RonLikesCakes.com online vegan cakes from NW10
- TheVeganTart.co.uk sell online & at London markets.