Church of the Holy Trinity

Southside Street, Plymouth - Built 1840 - Destroyed during the Blitz, 1941

All Saints, Harwell Street, Plymouth

Charles the Martyr, Plymouth

Christ Church, Eton Place, Plymouth

Holy Trinity, Southside Street, Plymouth

St Augustine’s, Alexandra Road, Lipson

St Boniface, Victoria Road, St Budeaux

St Catherine’s, Lockyer Street, Plymouth

St James the Less, Citadel Roadlymouth

St Luke, Tavistock Place, Plymouth

St Mary the Virgin and  St Mary Magdalene, Alvington Street, Cattedown

St Paul’s, Efford Lane, Plymouth

St Saviours, Lambhay Hill, Plymouth

 

Return to homepage

 

Resources for Family History

 

 

Holy Trinity

 Plan of Holy Trinity Church - 1843

History of Holy Trinity Church

The Church of the Holy Trinity was built in 1840 as a Chapel of Ease to St Andrew's Church by the Revd John Hatchard. It was to seat 1000 people.

The 'Chapel' became a Parish Church in 1842 and became the 'Mother Church' of St Saviour's on Lambhay Hill.

The Church was badly damaged during the Blitz of 1941 and was later totally demolished.

A view of Holy Trinty Church after its destruction in 1941

From the Plymouth Directory, 1938

"Holy Trinity is an ecclesiastical parish formed in 1842 from that of St Andrew. The church in Southside street and Friar's lane, was built in 1842, and is an edifice of stone, of the Doric order, consisting of chancel, nave, galleries, aisles, north porch and a tower on the north-west side: there are 1,000 sittings. The register dates from the year 1851.