2930 S. Vermont Ave. | map |
Los Angeles, CA 90007
Opened: The theatre opened in 1912 as the Photoplay.
In the 1914 city directory there's a listing at 2928 S. Vermont for "Saml MacIntyre" as the proprietor.
In a 1914 ad reproduced by Jeff Bridges on Flickr, "McIntyre & Pollard" are the owners of the Photoplay No. 2 at 30th & Vermont. They're advertising that the theatre gets "The Pick of the Licensed Flim. [sic] Extra Good Music. 10 cents, Loges 15 cents."
In the 1915 directory it's shown as the Photoplay at 2930 S. Vermont. In 1916, 1917 and 1918 directories as the Photoplay at 2928 S. Vermont.
Starting with the the 1919 city directory it's listed as as the La Tosca Theatre. The interior decor featured Venetian murals.
In the early 50s the La Tosca was still running mainstream Hollywood product but by the middle of the decade the theatre had changed policy and was then a thriving foreign film house running German features and newsreels.
It also ran Hungarian, Italian and Indian films. The location close to USC helped it survive into the 80s even as the neighborhood went into a serious decline.
Status: The closing date is not known -- perhaps the mid to late 80s. The building is currently used as retail, storage and a barber shop.
The Cinema Tour page has two 2003 exterior photos.
about photos from other
websites that appear on this page...
We've tried to give appropriate credit. Please
contact us if there are incorrect attributions, links that
no longer work or other issues. A link near each image will
direct you to a full size version on the website hosting it.
Assume that all the images are subject to copyright
restrictions. Contact the webmaster of the site in
question concerning reproduction or other use.
An 80s shot of the Tosca in the collection of
Gerald De Luca. It looks like the neighboring
furniture business is taking over the sidewalk.
full size view