Castle Harrison

Family seat
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
A castle, name Castle Harrison, at Charleville, County Cork, Ireland, has long been the seat of a Harrison family of Ireland. Castle Harrison, Ireland (Latitude: 52° 19' 0 N, Longitude: 8° 40' 0 W) . Castle Harrison has an area of 2,431acres, according to records of property ownership of 1870.
 
The Castle Harrison vault was built by Henry Harrison, of Castle Harrison, who was known as the 'Commissioner'. He was Commissioner of Customs in Ireland about 1710. On the top of this vault is an altar-tomb to some member of the Harrison family, but I cannot read the inscription. I understand that this churchyard is the private property of Colonel Harrison, of Castle Harrison. It is only a short distance from Castle Harrison, and lies about 3 1/2 miles (south-west by west) from Charleville.
 
 
 
 

Charleville - An Ráth

 

 
 
 
 
Charleville, a thriving town founded in 1621 by Roger Boyle, is an important market town set in rich agricultural land. It is the home of Golden Vale Co - Operative Creameries, one of the largest milk processing and cheese making concerns in Ireland. The library in the old Church of Ireland church and the Schoolyard Theatre are worth visiting. Activities in the Charleville area include an 18 hole golf course located close to the town and walking tours of the Ballyhoura Mountains.    
 
 

 

Name of Site : Castle Harrison

Reference : CO-73-R-552196

Address :

Unknown

Present on Ordnance Survey 1" Series

[1st] Yes, sheet 164

[2nd] Yes

[Rev] Yes

Present on Ordnance Survey First Edition 6" Series

[1836 to 1846] Yes

Barony / Municipal Borough : Orrery and Kilmore

Parish : Ballyhay

County : Cork

Townland : Castleharrison

Bibliography

Location on Ordnance Survey 1:50,000

Sheet No : 73

Grid Letter : R

Grid Reference : 552196

Apparent visibility on current OS and general notes

Building indicated area to south labelled 'Castle Harrison'.

Images of Site

Map Image

Small Size Map (Will open in a new Window)

Large Size Map (Will open in a new Window)

Aerial Image

Small Size Air Photo (Will open in a new Window)

Large Size Air Photo (Will open in a new Window)

 

Virtually no recognisable features

View survey results

 

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837) by Samuel Lewis

BALLYHEA, a parish, partly in the barony of ORRERY and KILMORE, but chiefly in that of FERMOY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 2 miles (S. S. E.) from Charleville; containing 1591 inhabitants. At this place was an ancient castle belonging to the Fitzgerald family, called Castle Dod, which was taken in 1642 by Lord Inchiquin, on which occasion 200 of the Irish were slain. The parish is situated on the river Awbeg, and is intersected by the mail coach road from Cork to Limerick. It comprises 5235 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £5151 per ann.: the greater portion is under tillage, held in large farms; the land is generally good, and there is some good grazing land, on which store cattle are fattened for the Cork market. Limestone gravel is found in abundance, and burnt for manure. The only seat is Castle Harrison, the residence of Standish Harrison, Esq., erected on the site of Castle Dod. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne, forming the corps of the prebend of Ballyhea in the cathedral of Cloyne, and united also to the vicarage of Rathgoggan; the rectory is appropriate to the vicars choral of the cathedral of Christchurch, Dublin; the tithes amount to £400. The church has been long in ruin, and, from its extent and its ornamental details, appears to have been a spacious and handsome edifice. The glebe comprises 2 1/2 acres. In the R. C. divisions the greater portion of the parish is united with the parishes of Ardskeagh, Cooline, Emerick or Imphrick, Aglishdrinagh, and part of the parish of Shandrum: the chapel, a spacious building on the border of Aglishdrinagh, was erected in 1831, on a site given by Mr. Harrison. There are two pay schools, in which are about 50 children.

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_castles_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland

http://myhome.ispdr.net.au/~mgrogan/cork/memorial.htm

Location: http://iguide.travel/Adare/Activities#Map