Sample AP Paragraph for the Thomas Paine FRQ attached on the bottom (not finished).
Essay due Feb 21st by 7:50 AM on turnitin.com: Consider the readings from pages 259-306 in your text. Using them as sources, answer the following question in 500 words or fewer: What are the elements of an effective community? Develop your position using quotes (evidence) from at least 3 different readings and be sure to acknowledge viewpoints other than your own.
Due 2/9/17: Read the text here: https://www.mtholyoke.edu/media/commencement-speech-0
1. Which of the two metaphors (backpack or fingerprints) works better in terms of appeal to her audience?
2. To what extent is Quindlen concerned with the values of the community? The individual?
Due 2/8/17: "The New Community" http://tobiaskhs.weebly.com/uploads/8/6/4/5/8645376/09etzioni.pdf
The Great Gatsby: http://www.planetebook.com/ebooks/The-Great-Gatsby.pdf
Ridiculously detailed Gatsby index: http://www.brtom.org/gg/ggind1.html
UC Personal Statement Prompts: http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/how-to-apply/personal-statement/
Use either the freshman applicant prompt or the prompt for all applicants; 600 word maximum.
This year's Sac News and Review examples: http://www.newsreview.com/sacramento/snr-39-s-2013-college-essay-contest/content?oid=9960092
Reviving extinct species: http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2013/04/species-revival/zimmer-text
1. Read the article and be prepared to discuss it in class tomorrow (Friday).
2. Write a thesis statement for or against "de-extinction" with three supporting subtopics.
3. Choose one of your subtopics and write a well developed paragraph in support of it. (Should be 8/9 quality.)
Useful Argument site: http://intelligencesquaredus.org/education/itemlist/date/2013?catid=3&total=4
(Argument assignment details are in the first attachment.)
Annotated bibliography info: http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/614/02/
Writer's diet: http://writersdiet.com/WT.php
Language & Comp page at AP central: http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/members/exam/exam_information/2001.html
Contact email: email@example.com
Check your grade! https://aeries.travisusd.org/parent/LoginParent.aspx?page=default.aspx