Shelford Hall fire

Little Shelford Hall was destroyed by fire on February 24 1929.

Mrs Eaden was living there at the time of the blaze 

The fire, believed to have originated in the pantry, gutted the entire building. The roof caved in and there was little chance to retrieve any of the contents. 

Remains of the building can still be seen from Little Shelford Recreation Ground.

This is how the Cambridge News reported the fire.
 "A disastrous fire occured at the Hall, Little Shelford in the early hours of Sunday with the result that the building was almost completely gutted. It was discovered by Mme carne, the governess who, with the butler and the maid, were immediately above the fire. Captain and Mrs Gordon Dill removed their children to safety in The lodge. While waiting for the fire brigade which was delayed due to the thick fog, the occupants attempted to subdue theoutbreak, then confined to the pantry, with buckets of water. But the heat melted a lead pipe and the cistern emptied so water had to be fetched from a cottage about 30 yards away. The building is 71 years old, being erected in the grounds of the Old Hall which was pulled down in 1858." (Scroll down for more photos of the fire aftermath)





The aftermath of the fire at Little Shelford Hall
 
The aftermath of the fire at Little Shelford Hall
 
The aftermath of the fire at Little Shelford Hall  The aftermath of the fire at Little Shelford Hall
  The aftermath of the fire at Little Shelford Hall
 The aftermath of the fire at Little Shelford Hall  The aftermath of the fire at Little Shelford Hall
 
 The aftermath of the fire at Little Shelford Hall
     
Comments