Preheat oven to 425 degrees
1 box of Pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts for 9" pie
1/2 cup butter
3 tablespoons flour
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons apple pie spice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
7-8 Red Delicious Apples, small to medium in size, peeled, cored, and sliced
1. Melt butter in saucepan. Stir in flour to make a paste.
2. Add water and sugars bring to a boil.
3. Reduce temperature and let it simmer until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and add vanilla.
4. Place crust in bottom of buttered (I use Pam spray) 9" glass or stoneware pie plate.
5. Put apples in a bowl and sprinkle apple pie spice over apples and toss.
6. Pour apples into pie crust, heaping in the middle
7. Pour sugar/butter mixture over apples and cover with top pie crust
8. Seal and crimp edges
9. Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes
10. Reduce heat to 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
11. Remove from oven. Brush top with butter and sprinkle with sugar.