The mission of the Long Island School Media Association is to lead School Library Media Specialists in advancing the profession by promoting the library and School Library Media Specialists as a significant part of the education process. The association will:
- Encourage the professional growth of its members by providing opportunities for professional development and continuing education.
- Advance the standards of the teaching profession.
- Cooperate with other organizations and agencies with similar interests and purposes, represent the membership in area, county, state, national and other professional organizations.
- Promote the interests of education in respect to educational media and technology.
- Plan, organize, and disseminate information by print or electronic means.