Gannett Regional Design Studio
December 2011 - now
- Copy editor, selector of wire stories for regional Gannett newspapers.
- Headline, caption writer.
- Rehired by former Courier-Journal editors.
Velocity magazine, Metromix.com, Courier-Journal
May 2003 –
- Generated story ideas and worked with editors on special editions.
Society of Professional Journalist awards in 2008 for Service Reporting and
- Edited, managed and handled content and social media for Metromix.com
- Wrote weekly columns on advice,
books and food for Velocityweekly.com
- Did weekly appearances on local TV and radio stations promoting the
magazine; emceed concerts sponsored by Velocity
- Wrote and edited copy for the Courier-Journal’s Features, News and
2009 to March 2012
- As an
adjunct instructor, I worked with new students to help them get the most out
of their college experience.
- I taught students basic writing and grammar and how to write well in
their future careers.
The Richmond Register
June 2001 –
- Turned a
poorly performing newspaper into an award-winning daily in less than two
- Led a
complete redesign that made the paper more reader-friendly. Managed a staff
of 11 reporters, editors and designers.
Kentucky Press Association award for Best Front Page. My staff won eight
awards that year, including second-place General Excellence
Editor, The Kentucky Standard
designed and managed the small, tri-weekly newspaper.
City Editor, Sandusky Register
five city desk reporters, worked with other editors to manage daily budgets
and produce excellent copy.
- The paper
won the Ohio AP Award for General Excellence that year.
University of Georgia
Bachelors in newspaper journalism with an emphasis in
Eastern Kentucky University
Political science major
management systems, Photoshop,
QuarkXpress, MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, HTML, ExactTarget, CCI
Newsdesk and newsgate, AP Style
USSF and KHHSA
certified soccer referee since 2009
A more detailed work
history can be provided at your request