"The Devil is in the Details" 

       -  anonymous but wise Event Planner

Renters Checklist
  • Insurance (minimum 2 million - required by hall for large events, weddings, dances etc) 
  • Arrange for set up, take down time
  • Arrange for keys from Hall Manager
  • Rental deposit (to hold reservation)
  • Damage deposit (at time of contract signing)
  • Meet with hall representative for
    • pre / post event walk throughs
Clean up arrangements
Choose to arrange clean up to our standards or use
our reasonably priced cleaning crew.

If food is to be served,

   The Lighthouse Community Hall requires compliance with the 
for a PRIVATE event  (invitations and tickets sold in advance)
            no special permits are required for a private event where the public is not invited
(2-c) premises in which food is prepared or served by voluntary caterers for functions
or gatherings limited to members of their own organization and invited guests,
FoodSafeCertificate (or equivalent) is recommended, but not required
click HERE for FOODSAFE information

for a PUBLIC event  (tickets sold at the door)
  events that are open to the public require an "application to operate a temporary food service" 
special occasion food permit from from the Vancouver Island Health Authority
click HERE for the application form
submit to the local environmental officer at least 14 days prior to the event
249 West Hirst Avenue PO Box 1210
Parksville, BC  V9P 2M2
PHONE:  250.947.8222
FAX:  250.947.8223
At all times during the event at least one food handler must be present who has a
           FOODSAFE Certificate (or equivalent). 
click HERE for FOODSAFE information
The approval must be displayed in a conspicuous place during the event

for more information on food safety, check the Vancouver Island Health authority page at

If Alcohol is to be served, you will also need:

PAL (Party Alcohol Liability) insurance

Your Server
  • Serving It Right is a mandatory self-study course that educates licensees, managers and servers about their legal responsibilities when serving alcohol, and provides effective techniques to prevent problems related to over-service.
  • Serving It Right

SOL (Special Occasion License) for alcohol service

Please visit http://www.pssg.gov.bc.ca/lclb/apply/special/index.htm for more information about Special Occasion Licensing, including SOL policy exemption applications, program changes or other helpful information for liquor licensing at a special event.
Due to security concerns, and to keep your financial information private, Liquor Control and Licensing Branch will not accept electronically transmitted applications containing credit card information.


Special Occasion License Case Manager
Liquor Control and Licensing Branch
Entry of Minors and Acceptable Identification
With the exception of beer gardens, minors are permitted to be present at a special occasion as non-drinking patrons or entertainers, unless prohibited or restricted by the store manager, LCLB or the police.
Minors are prohibited from consuming, serving or handling liquor – including selling drink tickets.
Anyone serving liquor (including paid and unpaid servers) must assure themselves that a patron is not a minor. Where identification is required to confirm that a patron is 19 years old or older, two pieces of identification are required:
  1. One piece of identification must be government issued and have the person’s name, date of birth and photograph, such as a BC Identification card, driver’s licence with picture, or a passport.
  2. The other piece must have the person’s name and at least one of the person’s signature or photograph, such as a Care Card, credit card or social insurance card.
[Liquor Control and Licensing Regulation, s. 15(3) & 45.]
9.8.1 Pre-sale of entry tickets for private events
For private events, licensees must sell or reserve entry tickets or invitations to the special occasion prior to the start time of the event (see s. 1 – Definitions). For example, if the doors open at 7:00 p.m. for a concert that begins at 8:00 p.m., all tickets must be sold prior to 7:00 p.m. in order to qualify as a private special occasion. Attendees may pick up pre-purchased tickets at the door during the hour between the doors opening and the event actually beginning and even after the event has begun.
 For more special occasion Licence Information contact:
Margaret Fligg
Special Occasion Licence Case Manager
Liquor Control and Licensing Branch
Victoria BC  V8W 9J8
Telephone:  250-952-7051
Facsimile:  250-952-7066