Machine Learning Research Group | National ICT Australia (NICTA)
Email: libin82cn [AT] gmail [DOT] com
[NEW] Slides of "Recursive Hashing: Approximating Similarities of Structured Data" is available here [slides]
[NEW] A poster of my work on "Cross-Domain Collaborative Filtering" is available here [poster]
[NEW] A brief survey on "Cross-Domain Collaborative Filtering" is available here [paper]
I'm a machine learning researcher at NICTA. Prior to this, I was a lecturer at University of Technology Sydney and a research fellow at Institut TELECOM SudParis. I received my PhD degree in computer science from Fudan University in 2009. My current research interests include stochastic processes and randomized algorithms in machine learning. I'm particularly interested in two research topics: (1) Graph function estimation [ICML-09, IJCAI-11, ICML-15, AAAI-16, etc] and (2) Structured data hashing [ICDM-12, SDM-14, etc]. My daily work at NICTA is mainly about data analytics in SmartCity projects.
Research Publications [full list] *co-supervised or de facto supervised
Selected Conference Papers
Xuhui Fan*, Bin Li, Yi Wang*, Yang Wang, Fang Chen, The Ostomachion Process, Proc. of the 30th AAAI Conf. on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI 2016), to appear. [paper]
Yi Wang*, Bin Li, Yang Wang, Fang Chen, Metadata Dependent Mondrian Processes, Proc. of the 32nd Int'l Conf. on Machine Learning (ICML 2015), pp:1339-1347. [paper]
Lianhua Chi*, Bin Li, Xingquan Zhu, Context-Preserving Hashing for Fast Text Classification, Proc. of the 14th SIAM Int'l Conf. on Data Mining (SDM 2014), pp:100-108. [paper]
Lianhua Chi*, Bin Li, Xingquan Zhu, Fast Graph Stream Classification Using Discriminative Clique Hashing, Proc. of the 19th Pacific-Asia Conf. on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (PAKDD 2013), pp:225-236. Best Paper Award [link]
Bin Li, Xingquan Zhu, Lianhua Chi*, Chengqi Zhang, Nested Subtree Hash Kernels for Large-scale Graph Classification over Streams, Proc. of the 12th IEEE Int'l Conf. on Data Mining (ICDM 2012), pp:399-408. [paper][data][code]
Ruijiang Li*, Bin Li, Ke Zhang, Cheng Jin, Xiangyang Xue, Groupwise Constrained Reconstruction for Subspace Clustering, Proc. of the 29th Int'l Conf. on Machine Learning (ICML 2012), pp:377-384. [paper]
Ruijiang Li*, Bin Li, Cheng Jin, Xiangyang Xue, Xingquan Zhu, Tracking User-Preference Varying Speed in Collaborative Filtering, Proc. of the 25th AAAI Conf. on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI 2011), pp:133-138. [paper]
Bin Li, Xingquan Zhu, Ruijiang Li*, Chengqi Zhang, Xiangyang Xue, Xindong Wu, Cross-Domain Collaborative Filtering over Time, Proc. of the 22nd Int'l Joint Conf. on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI 2011), pp:2293-2298. [paper][code]
Bin Li, Qiang Yang, Xiangyang Xue, Transfer Learning for Collaborative Filtering via a Rating-Matrix Generative Model, Proc. of the 26th Int'l Conf. on Machine Learning (ICML 2009), pp:617-624. [paper][code][video]
Bin Li, Qiang Yang, Xiangyang Xue, Can Movies and Books Collaborate? Cross-Domain Collaborative Filtering for Sparsity Reduction, Proc. of the 21st Int'l Joint Conf. on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI 2009), pp:2052-2057. [paper]
Bin Li, Mingmin Chi, Jianping Fan, Xiangyang Xue, Support Cluster Machine, Proc. of the 24th Int'l Conf. on Machine Learning (ICML 2007), pp:505-512. [paper][demo][video]
Selected Journal Papers
Bin Li, Xingquan Zhu, Ruijiang Li*, Chengqi Zhang, Rating Knowledge Sharing in Cross-Domain Collaborative Filtering, IEEE Trans. on Cybernetics, 45(5):1054-1068, 2015.
Yifan Fu*, Bin Li, Xingquan Zhu, Chengqi Zhang, Active Learning without Knowing Individual Instance Labels: A Pairwise Label Homogeneity Query Approach, IEEE Trans. on Knowledge and Data Engineering, 26(4):808-822, 2014.
Bin Li, Ling Chen, Xingquan Zhu, Chengqi Zhang, Noisy but Non-malicious User Detection in Social Recommender Systems, World Wide Web, 16(5-6):677-699, 2013. [code]
Xingquan Zhu, Bin Li, Xindong Wu, Dan He, Chengqi Zhang, CLAP: Collaborative Pattern Mining for Distributed Information Systems, Decision Support Systems, 52(1):40-51, 2011.
Shile Zhang, Bin Li, Xiangyang Xue, Semi-Automatic Dynamic Auxiliary-Tag-Aided Image Annotation, Pattern Recognition, 43(2):470-477, 2010.
Bin Li, Xiangyang Xue, Jianping Fan, A Robust Incremental Learning Framework for Accurate Skin Region Segmentation in Color Images, Pattern Recognition, 40(12):3621-3632, 2007. [demo]
SmartCity Publications #Data and the City#
- Bin Li, Bang Zhang, Zhidong Li, Yang Wang, Fang Chen, David Zhang, Dammika Vitanage, Multi-level Data Analytics for Risk Water Pipe Selection, IWA Leading-Edge Conference on Strategic Asset Management (LESAM), 2015.
- Bin Li, Yang Wang, Fang Chen, Yi Wang, Group Infrastructure Components, Patent Application (AU2015900215), filed on 27/01/2015. [link]
- Daqing Zhang, Lin Sun, Bin Li, Chao Chen, Gang Pan, Shijian Li, Zhaohui Wu, Understanding Taxi Service Strategies from Taxi GPS Traces, IEEE Trans. on Intelligent Transportation Systems, 16(1):123-135, 2015.
- Lin Sun, Daqing Zhang, Bin Li, A Method for Discovering Passenger-Finding Strategies based on GPS Traces, Patent Application (CN201310564651), filed on 14/11/2013. [link]
- Bin Li, Daqing Zhang, Lin Sun, Chao Chen, Shijian Li, Guande Qi, Qiang Yang, Hunting or Waiting? Discovering Passenger-Finding Strategies from a Large-scale Real-world Taxi Dataset, Proc. of IEEE PerCom Workshops 2011, pp:63-68. [paper] Featured in IEEE Spectrum [link]
- Daqing Zhang, Bin Guo, Bin Li, Zhiwen Yu, Extracting Social and Community Intelligence from Digital Footprints: An Emerging Research Area, Ubiquitous Intelligence and Computing 2010, pp:4-18.
- Bin Li, Xiangyang Xue, A Method for Skin-Region Segmentation in Color Images and Videos, Patent Grant (CN200510027078), granted on 06/02/2008. [link] Software registration [link]
Co-Organizer & PC Member
- [Workshop Co-Organizer] ICDM-11 Workshop on Mining Multiple Information Sources (MMIS-11)
- [Special Session Co-Chair] The 23rd IEEE Int'l Conf on Tools with Artificial Intelligence (ICTAI-11)
- [Publicity Co-Chair] ICTAI-11, ICMLA-12, BIBE-14
- [PC Member] CIKM-11, ICTAI-11~15, AAAI-15, MM-15, IJCAI-16
- (ACM) TIST
- (Elsevier) KBS, Neurocomputing, Signal Processing
- (IEEE) TCYB, TKDE
- (Springer) SNAM, WWWJ
Tutorials & Talks
- Seminar @NICTA: Recursive Hashing: Approximating Similarities of Structured Data [slides]
- Short Course @UTS: Recommender Systems: An Introduction [link]
- Short Course @KAUST: Recommender Systems: From Real-world Systems to State-of-the-Art Technologies [link]
Awards & Grants
- Impact Award: Our team won NICTA's 2014 Impact Award: Wealth Creation - Water Pipes [link]
- Best Paper Award: The 19th Pacific-Asia Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (PAKDD-13) [link]
- Research Grant: UTS Early Career Researcher Grant (Sole Investigator), 2012~2013.
- Thesis Award Nomination: China Computer Federation (CCF) Best PhD Thesis Award 2009 (rank 11) [link]
Last update: 17-04-2015