History of LHS


LHS Logo
On Feb. 11, 1992, 14 people assembled for a meeting at the Tri-County North High School, having been contacted by Sophia Trittschuh to discuss the future of the Lewisburg Train Depot.
The Depot, which was owned by Mrs. Trittschuh since the mid 70's, was on land owned by the Schaefer family just south of the I-70 and Route 503 interchange that was to be sold at auction, therefore the depot had to be moved if it was to be salvaged.

 Lewisburg did not have a Historical Society prior to that evening, however, with the interest shown, a second meeting was scheduled for Feb. 23 and it was at this time that The Lewisburg Historical Society was formed with officers being elected, and planning for the moving of the depot which had to be done quickly, began.

Officers chosen at the organizational meeting were Jacki Gross, president; Larry Gray, vice-president; Jim Dempsey Jr., secretary, and Sophia Trittschuh, treasurer.

Then came the task of trying to get the building moved. The Society first contacted Don Colville, a local contractor, who agreed to perform the task by moving it in nine sections the manner in which it had been moved to the I 70 site by the late Carl Schaefer. 

Next was locating property to where the Depot could be located and happily the Village of Lewisburg very generously agreed to provide a site adjacent to the water treatment facility so its current location is off of Clay Street at One Depot Lane. The Society obtained a 99 year lease at $1 per year for the ground. It became quite evident upon examination that moving the building in sections was not the answer due to aging of the structure and damages that had occurred at the I-70 site, in addition to the cost factor in reassembling the frame structure. The decision to move the building as a unit was made and a Mr. Eldon Flory of Pennsylvania was contracted to do the job at a cost of $13,000. 

In as much as the Society had just been formed and had no funds with which to work, nine members signed a bank note for the money. After countless hours of preparation, the morning of May 19, 1992, finally came. Mr. Flory and his crew of two came to prepare the building for its journey on May 21, 1992. The building had to have six I-Beams pushed under it for support and the inside had to be wired together and straightened. It was lifted from its footer and rolled onto a set of wheels which would carry it through town. At 9 am on May 21, 1992, under police escort, it was pulled out onto Route 503 and in approximately four hours, it was atop its new footer, the journey having been completed. 

Needless to say, many of the town's citizenry witnessed the proceedings and the Tri-County Norm Schools were dismissed so that teachers and students could be a part of the day's proceedings. 

Now, the Society is faced with the monumental task of restoring the Depot. To date, the Society has restored the windows and doors and is working on the walls and floors. 

The Depot will be used as a meeting place for organizations and as a place to store and display the history of the village. It is the hope of the Society that this will spur a fire within the village to preserve and share its rich history with future generations to come.                                         
                           
                                      - History insert from the Lewisburg Sesquicentennial Historic Booklet, 1993.
                                                                                          ======
Fast forward to over 20 years later in the present day. The Lewisburg Train Depot has since been fully restored and has served as the Headquarters for LHS & houses local memorabilia. 

The Lewisburg Train Depot was originally built in 1890 by the Cincinnati-Jackson and Mackinaw Railroad and was located near the old Lewisburg water tower. In 1900 the line was sold to the Cincinnati Northern RR. The railroad gave Lewisburg a new life. Within four years a new lumber yard, coal yard, and stockyard were established. Ice could now be brought in by rail from the northern lakes and stored in commercial ice houses. Old businesses found new prosperity. One of which was the Wilson and Weaver Limestone Quarries (presently the Lewisburg Haunted Caves). At one time there were two morning and two-afternoon passenger trains servicing Lewisburg as well as local and through freight trains. The Cincinnati Northern RR was sold in 1908 to the New York Central System but retained its name. The line remained in full service until 1938 when passenger, mail and express services were discontinued. Freight trains were still in service, but the passenger depot became a thing of the past.

Along with restoring the train depot, the Historical Society also restored a 1918 B&O Caboose. The Historical Society also renovated the Singer Blacksmith Shop. The Blacksmith Shop is open once per month with a blacksmithing demonstration.  


The Historical Society conducts mine tour wagon rides through the old Limestone mine during the operation of the Lewisburg Haunted Caves and is well known for its Kettle Corn. 


The Society meets the 2nd Tuesday of every month at 7:00 at the Train Depot. The Society continues to collect and display Lewisburg and Euphemia historical information and items. In 2016 & 2017 the society built a new storage building to house antique equipment to keep it safe from the environment. 

_________________________________________________________________



Major Roads in Lewisburg


The Village of Lewisburg has three major roads in it. Among them is the “Great” Historical National Road 40 which came to the village in 1835 as a dirt road and was paved in the late 1920s'. The Road starts in Atlantic City, NJ and ends in  San Francisco, CA.


The other two roads in the village are State Route 503 and Interstate 70.



____________________________

MORE UP DEPTH HISTORY OF LHS.

Lewisburg Historical Society, Inc. 1993-2018 


At the time of the previous account for Lewisburg’s 175th anniversary, the Lewisburg Historical Society was just over one year old. The train depot had been moved and restoration was in progress. Membership in the Lewisburg Historical Society grew considerably and the dedication and effort of the members allowed the depot restoration to be completed. The depot now serves as the headquarters and meeting place for the Lewisburg Historical Society and is available to other groups. Numerous donations of historical items have been received and are on display in the depot.

Since that first year of the Lewisburg Historical Society’s founding, there have been many accomplishments. The Historical Society has held several Community events over the years such as a Blue Grass Festival, concerts for local talent and better know acts, Ham and Bean dinners, Christmas dinners, Antique Appraisal, Farm Days, just to name a few.


A brief account of some significant events of the past 25 years follows: 


·         February 1995 501c3 Tax Exempt Status granted by the Internal Revenue Service.

 

·          September 14, 1996, Dedication Ceremony for the renovated depot.

 

·         April 17, 1997, The Lewisburg Historical Society, inc. was incorporated in the State of Ohio as a non-profit corporation.

 

·         1993-1998 In 1993, a 1918 B & 0 Caboose was donated to the Lewisburg Historical Society. In 1996, it was moved to a location next to the depot from the former Marble Cliff Quarry property. During reconstruction work in 1997, the caboose was severely damaged by fire and was completely rebuilt by the Lewisburg Historical Society. The rebuilt caboose received a Certificate of Authentication from the Affiliation for B & O System Historical Research. 

 

·     1999 Singer’s Blacksmith Shop was bequeathed to the Lewisburg Historical Society by Georgianna Singer. The building was constructed in 1895 and operated as a blacksmith shop until 1932 when it was closed by Harry Singer. The shop is a very well preserved piece of history that truly represents an operating blacksmith shop. The building was only occasionally open to the public for many years until 2015. Dedicated members of the Lewisburg Historical Society organized, cleaned and repaired the shop to prepare it for visitors. The shop has been well received and monthly blacksmithing demonstrations are being held for anyone interested.

·    YEAR STARTED? The Lewisburg Historical Society conducts Historical Mine Tours at the former Marble Cliff Quarry during the time of the Lewisburg Haunted Cave (mid-September to the end of October). Participants ride on a wagon pulled by a tractor and are taken 65 feet underground into the mine tunnels. The history of the mining operation is explained along with other business activities that occurred at the site. The mine is also home to many hats which may be seen on the wagon ride. The Lewisburg Historical Society also makes and sells kettle corn that is popped on site in a cast iron kettle. This is the societies largest fund raiser of the year.

 

  • YEAR? 1953 Dodge Fire Truck was donated to the Lewisburg Historical Society by Joe Freedman. Mr. Freedman purchased it from the Village of Lewisburg Fire Department when it was replaced with newer equipment. The fire truck was used for several parades in Lewisburg shortly after being acquired but sat unused for many years. Thanks to the efforts of Lewisburg Historical Society members, the fire truck was revived and appeared in the 2016 Derby Days Parade. 


  • 2016 new building. it had been discussed for many years to erect a storage building for donated items. Using money generated from the Mine Tours and several fund raisers, the first half of this building was completed in 2016 with construction being done by members and volunteers. The Village of Lewisburg also gave significant assistance. The remaining half will be completed in 2017 with a final size of 40 x 80 feet. 

  • On 2017 the Lewisburg Historical Society got a website. Logan Justis is the Webmaster.


Click on picture to enlarge.



Lewisburg Train Depot
LHS Headquarters



1918 B&O Caboose



H. E. Singer's Blacksmith Shop
Open once per month with a blacksmith demonstration.





Area of the future storage building.



LHS conducts mine tour wagon rides through the old Limestone mine during the operation of the LHC.



LFD 1953 Dodge Fire Truck.

Comments