Guiding Questions for Soames' "What is a Theory of Truth?"
1. What have been the goals when providing theories of truth? Why doesn’t Tarski’s theory achieve neither (i) nor (iii)?
2. What are Tarskian truth predicates good for?
3. Does realism essentially involve the notion of truth? That role does the truth predicate play in stating this position?
4.What do Tarskian definitions attempt to?
5. How does Soames understand Field’s objection to Tarski’s definitions in relation with physicalism? What’s Tarski’s only way out?
6. Why does Soames call Tarski’s a ‘deflationist approach’?