Hi. I’m Mrs. Soukup. I have been teaching for many years. This year will mark my twentieth year in the teaching profession. However, it is my fifth year at North Central Junior High. To begin, I graduated from the University of Iowa with a Bachelor’s Degree in Elementary Education. My area of specializations were Language Arts, Speech Communications, and Theatre. I continued my education and received my Master’s in Teaching from Coe College. My specialization for this degree was Social Studies. After a few more years of teaching, I decided to continue my education and received a Master’s in Administration from Drake University for PK-12. My area of specialization was Special Education Supervisor for PK-12.
In 1995, I began my teaching career in kindergarten and first grade in the Linn Mar Community Schools. But in 2000, I began teaching in the Iowa City Community Schools at Twain Elementary in fifth and sixth grade. In addition, I taught first grade for a year. Then an opportunity came about and I switched to Penn Elementary and taught first grade. Shortly after, I taught first and second grade at Van Allen Elementary for a couple of years. After finishing my Masters in Administration, I was back at Penn to teach sixth grade. This was great because I had student taught in fourth grade at Penn Elementary when I started my teaching career. In 2011, I came to North Central after three years in sixth grade at Penn. As I stated before, this is my fifth year at North Central Junior High. The various components of language arts are very important to me. As a result, reading and writing and staple pieces of my language arts instruction.
Helpful Tips for Parents/Guardians:
1. Ask your child about his/her school day.
2. Please check your child's planner to see your child's assignments and homework.
3. Please go online and check your Power School account to access your child's grades. http://www.iowa-city.k12.ia.us/PowerSchool/index.html
4. Communication is important. Please contact me if you have a concern about your child and/or Language Arts 7 or LA8.
5. Use the North Central Junior High website to find out more information about my class and our school.