How can we care for each other, care for the earth, and share resources fairly, all while earning our own basic livelihoods? The business world doesn’t necessarily have to mean a choice between Doing Good and Doing Well. ‘Social enterprise’ is a way of addressing both at the same time.
In this 6-part discussion series, you'll meet other people who are curious about the idea of social enterprise, people who are operating/starting a "green" business, people who are exploring how business and economics might change in a changing world, and people who are interested in alternative economics in general.
The series is designed so that people who wish to start a social enterprise will gain a solid background in business considerations and the issues of the future in order to get their enterprise off the ground.
6 Sessions include:
- "Doing good AND Doing Well" - balancing impact and profit - what's your mission?
- "What is a Resilient Business" - what businesses will thrive and survive in a time of peak oil + climate change + economic contraction?
- "For-profit, non-profit, cooperative, or ...?" - what types of business structure are best suited for resilience in an uncertain future?
- "Lean enterprise" - hold a frugal mindset, not a poverty mindset
- "Funding in an era of de-growth" - alternative and unique ways to find funding for your social enterprise
- "Success: Sweat equity vs. Blood equity" - success and quality of life in a new era
Bonus workshops include:
- "A Business Plan for the new era" - not just for your banker, you need to commit a plan to paper
- "Marketing vs. Publicity" - how to get it for next-to-free
- "People skills" - team building, boards, and committees -- democratic management for a new era
RSVP at http://www.meetup.com/LA-Transition-Enterprise-group/
Download flyer here