History of Latodami

Latodami Farm is named for the Horning families’ (direct descendants of J. D. Brown) four children; Orlando (nicknamed Lanny), Antoinette (nicknamed Toni), Davia, and Michelle.

The farm property was developed by J. D. Brown in the early 1900’s, with the barn built in 1914. A well-to-do big city (Pittsburgh) lawyer, Mr. Brown was a "gentleman farmer"; he hired other people to run the farm for him. The Brown’s had their own saw mill and most all the wood for the construction for all the buildings was harvested and milled from trees on the property.

Latodami Farm was locally renowned for not only dairy products, but turkey, pork, chicken products, honey and fresh produce. The crop fields were still planted and share cropped by the Reichold Family up to 1999. Corn, wheat, oat, alfalfa and hay were rotated annually in the fields.

Purchased in 1969 from the Horning family for specific use as a nature center, the property is approximately 250 acres, which include fields, woodlands, farm pond, wetland and stream habitats.

Since county acquisition, most all the original outbuildings deteriorated and were then removed by the county. These other buildings included: chicken house, pig sty, turkey pens, milk house, and horse stable. Still present are the main house (subdivided into three apartments), garages and apartment, the foreman’s house (naturalist's office), the main barn and smaller, storage barn.

Download the pdf named Latodami.pdf (listed below) written by one of the Horning children describing the history of the farm and the house at Latodami.

Latodami barn
Meg Scanlon,
Jun 22, 2013, 2:56 PM