Civilian Conservation Corps
In March 1933, the federal government created the CCC to combat the Great Depression. During nine years the CCC enrolled some 3,000,000 youths nationwide-including 194,572 men at 114 camps in Pennsylvania. Members of the 1383rd company first arrived here on June 16, 1933. Here rose Camp SP-1, which became home to hundreds of men before it closed on October 1, 1935. Half of its members then went to camp SCS-2 near Punxsutawney and half to Big Stone Gap, Virginia.
Located along Wildwood Road at South Montour Road, the camp housed men who created trails, planted trees, and constructed shelters & oven shelters in the park.
Pennsylvania DCNR has a website for CCC camps in Pennsylvania,
Listed below are 4 pdfs that came from the National Archives. They consist of photos and reports submitted by the camp superintendent. Take a peek, they are treasures.
Camp SP-1, Wildwood Pennsylvania
Picture courtesy of the Pennsylvania Department of Natural Resources