On October 29, 1929, otherwise known as Black Tuesday, the stock market crashed ushering in the Great Depression. By April of 1930, 3.2 million Americans were unemployed. By November of 1932, Franklin Roosevelt had been elected president of the United States. He immediately went to work creating the New Deal.
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), the first program of the New Deal was established in April of 1933. Allegheny County responded with a CCC camp, Camp 1383, in North Park.
Lake Marshall was constructed by the Civil Works Administration (CWA) in 1934-45
The boathouse, lake, lodge, standpipe and swimming pool were completed in 1937 by the Federal Emergency Administration Public Works (FEAFW). The FEAFW was later called the Public Works Administration (PWA).
Another New Deal program, the Works Progress Administration (WPA), began in April of 1935. Allegheny County responded with several WPA projects. The tennis field house was completed in 1936. In 1938, along Pearce Mill Road, evergreens were planted in the form of a star and in the form of the Allegheny County emblem. In 1940, the island in North Park lake, a bird sanctuary, was planted with shrubs and trees with WPA funds. In 1941, on Parish Hill, the foundation from the Walters one room schoolhouse became the foundation for the Schoolhouse shelter. Also in 1941, along Wildwood Road at the intersection of Wildwood Road and Old Babcock, an arboretum was planted made possible with WPA funds.
A special part of the WPA program was Federal One-the Federal Writers Project. It was established to put artists and writers back to work. Allegheny County responded with an addition to the American Guide Series "Places to play in Allegheny County, North and South Parks". As part of the booklet a pictorial map of North Park was drawn.