Welcome to the website of the Langport & District History Society.
Our aim is to raise awareness of the fascinating history of Langport and its neighbouring areas, in the heart of the Somerset Levels. This small town was home to Walter Bagehot, the famous Victorian constitutional and financial writer; the scene of a major Civil War battle, and where a local banking company once had a banknote circulation second only to the Bank of England.
- We hold monthly meetings to which visiting speakers are invited to give illustrated talks on subjects of historical interest on Langport and the surrounding area, as well as on topics of more general historical interest.
- We arrange visits to places of interest in the region.
- We do local history research, from answering queries about Langport’s past, to more substantial projects, such as publishing Langport and Huish Episcopi through time.
- New members and visitors are always welcome. If you'd like to join, details of how to do that are given here.
- Our talks programme is listed here. Any changes will also be noted on the News page.
- For details of our other projects and activities, click here.
- Details of our publications and how to obtain them are available here.