about photos from other
websites that appear on this page...
We've tried to give appropriate credit. Please
if there are incorrect attributions, links that
no longer work or other issues. A link near each image will
direct you to a full size version on the website hosting it.
Assume that all the images are subject to copyright
restrictions. Contact the webmaster of the site in
question concerning reproduction or other use.
3414 Pico Blvd. (at Centinela) | map |
Architect: S. Charles Lee designed the house for George Bourke and M.E. Baylis. The theatre's name came from the location west of Bundy Blvd.
In the 40s the theatre was open until 5 am to cater to late workers at the nearby aircraft plants. The Bundy was operated by Fox West Coast and its successor, National General Corporation.
Status: The theatre closed in January 1963. It was demolished in 1964 or 65 -- the site is now under the I-10.
More Information: See the Cinema Treasures page on the Bundy for lots of comments by Bill Gabel and other contributors.
W. Pico Blvd. & Georgia | map |
All that is known is that it was running in 1923. Ken McIntyre found a Los Angeles Times ad:
Demolished. This area is now all part of the Convention Center.More information:
This one gets mentioned on the Cinema Treasures
page for the Pico Theatre but it's evidently a different location.
Del Mar Theatre
5036 W. Pico Blvd. | map |
It's been closed since the 80s. After a spell as a church, the
building sat vacant for years.
The floor has been leveled and it now is
used by Puget Sound, Inc. as a studio specializing in post
production audio work. | Puget
Sound on Facebook |
Joe Milner, the owner of Puget Sound,
restored the marquee and vertical neon which are on view nightly. With
help from the city's Pico Revitalization Project the firm also repainted
the facade and did refurbishment on the showcases. Bravo! The photo here is one from 2010.
See our page on the Del Mar
Empire Theatre2131 W. Pico Blvd. (between Alvarado and Hoover) | map |
1914 or 1915. In the 1915 city directory it's listed under theatres as Cate & Swann at 2127
In the 1917, 1918 and 1921 directories the address is 2131 W. Pico. The listing as the Empire Theatre
in the 1922, 1923 and 1929 directories is with the address as 2129 W. Pico. In 1926 and 1927 it's back to 2131.
In the mid 60s the theatre became the Fiesta Theatre
and was running films and occasional live performances under that name into the mid 80s. The venue later got religion with a church as the tenant. The 2009 photo above is from Google Maps. Click on it to enlarge or head to their current interactive view
The building survives and is currently in use as a church with retail in the spaces on either side of the lobby. The rear of the Empire is at center in this 2011 Google shot. full size view
See the Cinema Treasures
page on the Empire for research by Bill Gabel and other contributors. Joe Vogel notes that the building dates from 1914 with a possible expansion or major renovation in 1922.
A 1928 Dick Whittington photo looking east
on Pico from Hoover. The Empire is on the left. full size view
A detail from the Dick Whittington photo above. Note
that that the extra height of the facade we see here
got sheared off sometime in the theatre's later years.
2698 W. Pico Blvd. @ Fedora
CA 90006 | map |
Opened: 1913 or earlier. It's in the 1913 city directory it's the Pico Heights Theatre at 2698 W. Pico. In the 1914 city directory the address is listed as 2696 W. Pico.
In the 1915 city directory it's called the Family Theatre (at 2698). It's the New Family in 1918, 1919 and 1922 directories. In the 1921 and 1923 directories it's the Fedora Theatre. In the 1926 city directory it's called the Star Theatre. It was called the New Star Theatre in the 1927 directory. It's not in the 1929 directory. Closing date is unknown.
The building still exists and dates from 1905. It's been converted to retail use, a "Discount Center."
The upper photo is a 2011 Google Maps view. The lower photo, a side view on Fedora St., is also a Google 2011 image. Click on either photo to enlarge or head to the current interactive version
4050 W. Pico Blvd. | map |
Los Angeles, CA 90019
Opened: May 14, 1924 as an independent. It soon became the Warner Bros. Forum Theatre.
The Forum closed prior to 1955 but was used as offices and a test house for Cinerama through the early 70's.
Architect: Edward J. Borgmeyer
It's been a Korean church since the late 70's. The original auditorium
ceiling is obscured with a dropped ceiling and murals have either been
painted over or covered. The photo here is from 2010.
More Information: See our Forum Theatre page.
Fox Stadium Theatre
8906 W. Pico Blvd. | map |
, CA 90035
It was built for and operated by Fox West
Coast Theatres. The rear of the auditorium was with stadium-style
seating, a rarity at the time. The photo is from 2010.
It's been a synagogue since 1964. The exterior was rehabilitated in 2004.
See our page on the Fox Stadium Theatre
E. Pico & San Pedro Sts. | map |
It's in the 1914 city directory as at 1223 S. San Pedro. In the 1915 and 1916 city directories the address is listed as 1221 S. San Pedro
Closing date is unknown. It's been demolished and is now a parking lot.
Keystone Theatre3064 W. Pico Blvd. | map |
Dates: The Keystone Theatre is listed in the
1916 and 1917 city directories. It's not listed in the 1915 or 1923 editions.
The L.A. Department of City Planning dates the building as being constructed in 1914. The photo is a 2011 Google Maps view looking west on Pico toward the theatre building. Click on it to enlarge or head to the current interactive version
A closer look at the Keystone's typical nickelodeon style
arched entrance in another 2011 Google Maps view.larger view
Status: Closing date as a theatre is unknown. It's been remodeled into retail space.
The Landmark10850 W. Pico Blvd. @ Westwood
2007. It's a 12 screen complex with 2000 seats total.
It's a first run venue operated by Landmark Theatres. This replaced the Westside Pavilion Cinemas
, an earlier four screen complex in the mall. The lobby shot is from 2007 -- click on it for a larger view.
8507 W. Pico Blvd. (west of La Cienega) | map |
Opened: 1937. For
years it was operated by National General and, later, Mann Theatres. It
had a good run as an art venue, a revival house and, at the end, was a
Architect: Clifford A. Balch Seating: 880
Demolished in 1979. It's now a parking lot for Bank of America.
See the page on the Lido Theatre
for more photos.
A 1961 view added to our Los Angeles Theatres
Facebook album by Bruce Kimmel. The Lido is running
"The Mark" and Sophia Loren in "Two Women."
full size view
Midway Theatre3138 W. Pico Blvd. | map |
Opened: 1939. This stretch of Pico is part of the area known as Harvard Heights. The theatre building is a block west of Western.
This independent house was constructed by Lou Berkoff, owner of the La Tosca, according to a Boxoffice article located by Joe Vogel. Hadabob on Cinema Treasures has a lovely description of the theatre:
"The Midway Theatre was built in 1938. It was part of a complex that
included a Safeway Market and a small cafe. The original seating was 525
if my memory is correct. It was similar in interior design to that of
many small “c” theatres of this era in Los Angeles. ( i.e., the Sherman,
Nuart, and the neighboring Victoria Theatre.) The interior was very
similar to the Sherman in Sherman Oaks as both theatres were very
similar in size and both shared simple murals to each side of the
proscenium. The Midway’s murals were of two deer – one at each side
which appear to jump and two trees on each side at the back of each
deer. The background color was beige.
The ceiling was orange with a 20"
raised plaster band (grey) that circled the auditorium. The walls were
sound absorbing material which were orange in color. Each section was
separated by a concrete reinforced column, which was plaster-coated and
painted burgundy with a tree in the center, which was painted gold,
running from top to bottom. The carpeting was black wool with typical
Art Deco bands. The seats were burgundy with gold deco bands on the
isles. Originally, the lobby was the same color scheme. The restrooms
were upstairs. The booth was in front and a terrazo floor greeted the
patrons. Purple glass was under all the lobby posters."
Status: Closed in 1965 and then used as a warehouse. The marquee was removed but the inside was essentially unchanged. It got gutted in 2000 for retail space. The photo is a 2010 Google Maps view. Click on it to enlarge or head to the current interactive view. More information: See The Cinema Treasures page on the Midway.
5879 W. Pico Blvd. (just west of Fairfax) | map |
Opened: 1941. It opened as an an independent house. Statewide Theatres, Century, Loew's and General Cinema also operated the
house for a spell in the 60s. In the early 80s it was running Indian films.
Demolished. By 1985 it had closed to become an appliance store. It got
torched in the 1992 riots and was finally demolished in 1995.
See the page on the Picfair Theatre
Atomic Hot Links on Flickr
736 W. Pico Blvd. | map |
Los Angeles, CA 90071
Dates: Opened c.1912. It's listed in the city directories as the Navarro Theatre from 1914 through 1918. The address is sometimes listed as
at 738 -- such as in the 1917 and 1918 directories.
In the 1922, 1923, 1927 and 1929 city directories it's called the Pico Theatre. In 1925 it was listed as the New
West Pico Theatre. In 1926 it's the New Pico Theatre. Then it's back to being the Pico Theatre. It's still listed in the 1936 directory.
Status: Closing date is unknown. Now demolished. This site just west of Figueroa is now part of the Los Angeles Convention Center.
More Information: See the Cinema Treasures page on the Pico Theatre for everything that is known about the building. Which, sadly, isn't much.
This c.1912 card of the theatre as the Navarro (with
the name across the entrance arch) is the only photo
to surface so far. It was on eBay in 2009. Thanks to
Joe Vogel on Cinema Treasures for spotting it.
Worthpoint notes that we're seeing: ".. a large group gathered outside the Navarro Theatre on Pico Blvd. in Los Angeles around 1914. A large banner
in front reads: 'WE SHOW THE BEST - MARY PICKFORD, The Sweetheart of the
Stories in Lena and the Geese.' A picture banner hangs below that. A photo
finishing studio can be seen next to the theatre, most likely the studio
that took the photo with the credit "F.E. Parret, 738 W. Pico" written
in negative. "Lena and the Geese" was a June 1912 release.
Pico Drive In
10850 W. Pico Blvd. @ Westwood | map |
1934 -- the first drive-in in California. It moved to Olympic
in the 40s and was renamed the Olympic Drive-In
Demolished. The Westside Pavilion shopping mall is on the site.
10872 W. Pico Blvd. @ Westwood | map |
Los Angeles, CA 90403
Architect: S. Charles Lee Seating: 1100 originally, later reseated for 950.
Status: Run until 1985 by Pacific Theatres, often with exclusive runs. Demolished in 1985 to make way for the Westside Pavilions Mall.
More Information: See our page on the Picwood
Online Archive of California
A view toward the screen. full size image
1408 W. Pico Blvd. | map |
1912 or 1913. It's in the 1913 and 1914
city directories as the Pico Grand
. In the 1915 through 1923
city directories it's the Sunbeam Theatre
. The photo is a 2011 view from Google Maps looking east toward Albany St. Click on it to enlarge or head to the current interactive version
In 1927, 29, 32, 36, 42 editions it's the Sun Theatre
. Ken McIntyre reports on Cinema Treasures that
it was listed in the L.A. Times in July 1952 -- but as closed. The 1956 directory lists nothing at 1408.
The building, which dates from 1912, still exists but has been remodeled. It's now used as a church.
This photo is a 2011 Google Maps view looking east in the alley from Valencia St. The brick building at the center is the back of the Sunbeam Theatre -- click on the photo for a larger view.More information:
See the Cinema Treasures page on the Sun Theatre
Theatre Theatre5041 W. Pico Blvd. | map |
This is a small legit venue. The photo is a 2011 Google Maps view. Click on it to enlarge or head to Google for the interactive version.
Victoria Theatre2570 W. Pico Blvd.
| map |
1914 or earlier. It's in the city directories from 1914 onward. In the 1921 directory the address is given as at "Pico sw cor Berendo." The theatre gets listed in a 1923 ad listing those venues playing Paramount pictures. It's unknown when the theatre closed as a movie theatre. It's in the 1942 city directory but not the 1956 edition. The photo is a 2011 Google Maps view. Click on it to enlarge or head to the current interactive version
Hadabob on Cinema Treasures reports that the theatre got an extensive remodel when it was turned into a ballroom and meeting hall, most likely in the 60s. It was used for occasional concerts as late as 1981.
700The Victoria in the Movies:
The theatre appears in the blaxploitation film "Petey
Wheatstraw" (Generation International Pictures, 1977)
with Rudy Ray Moore. No, you don't need to watch it.
A night view from "Petey Wheatstraw."
The auditorium as seen in "Petey Wheatstraw."
The floor had been leveled for use as a
ballroom and catering hall.
The Victoria Theatre sequence of "Petey" on is YouTube
Thanks to Sean Ault for finding it. Sean also notes that we stroll
by the Victoria during a long walk down this stretch of Pico
on the "Massive Attack - Unfinished Symphony
The Victoria has now been gutted for use as retail space. It was a mattress store for years. It's now a market. The photo here of the rear of the building is a 2011 Google Maps view looking north on Berendo toward Pico -- click on it to enlarge.
10754 W. Pico Blvd. | map |
Mid 70s. This theatre two blocks east of Westwood Blvd. was operated by Laemmle Theatres. Originally a second run operation, it later evolved into an art house. Bill Gabel notes on Cinema Treasures that the theatre was a conversion from a restaurant. The decor was drapes all around.Status:
Demolished in 1987 or 1988.More information:
See the Cinema Treasures
page on the Westland Twins.
Westside Pavilion Cinemas10800 W. Pico Blvd. @ Westwood
Los Angeles, CA 90064 | map |
This was a four screen complex operated by Landmark Theatres that opened as the Samuel Goldwyn Cinemas.
Demolished. This venue got replaced by The Landmark
, a much larger complex
that opened in 2007.