Theatres North of Downtown




We're exploring theatres north
 of the downtown area
!



Thanks for visiting. Please let me know if you spot
errors or have anything to add. There's a link for
contact info at the bottom of the page.

-- Bill Counter




    History Resources for the area    


The Atwater Village Chamber of Commerce has
a blog with some historical information about the area.
 See the Neil Malmberg pdf for a history up to 1940 as
well as the blog's "About Atwater Village" page.

"Atwater Village" is available
 from Arcadia Publishing.

Chinatown history is the subject of a terrific
post on the blog Los Angeles Revisited.

The El Sereno Historical Society has a
 website with a fine collection of photos.

See the KCET Highland Park web pages.

See Lincoln Heights LA for a bizarre assortment
of photos and information about the area. They're also on
 Facebook as Lincoln Heights Remembered.



    Eagle Rock    


Eagle Theatre

Sierra Theatre



    Echo Park    


On the home page of this site:

Ramona Theatre

Sunset Theatre



    El Sereno    


Cameo Theatre

El Sereno ? Theatre

Mazatlan Theatre



    Elysian Park    


Knightsbridge Theatre



    N. Figueroa St.   

Parts of it were earlier
called Pasadena Ave.

Park Theatre
5825 N. Figueroa

Sunbeam Theatre
5722 N. Figueroa

5630 N. Figueroa

Highland Theatre
5604 N. Figueroa

Franklin Theatre
5502 N. Figueroa

Fox Arroyo Theatre
3232 N. Figueroa
722 N. Figueroa

See our West of Broadway page
on the Downtown Theatres site for
 theatres on Figueroa St. downtown.



    Glassell Park    


Division Theatre

Glassell / Dale Theatre




    Highland Park    


Franklin Theatre

Highland Theatre

Highland Park Theatre

Park Theatre

Sunbeam Theatre

York Theatre



    Lincoln Heights    


Daly Theatre

Federal Theatre

Starland Theatre

San Carlos / New Lincoln



    Los Feliz / Silverlake    


Knightsbridge Theatre

Los Feliz Theatre

Studio Theatre

On the Hollywood
Theatres site:


Vista Theatre



    N. Main St.    


San Carlos / New Lincoln



    N. Spring St.    


King Hing Theatre



    Temple St.    


Granada / Owl Theatre







    Alternate Name List    


Can't find what you're looking for? See the
Alphabetical Theatre List for all the alternate names
for the various theatres. Some behaved themselves and
stuck with one, some had many.

Also see the Theatres By Address List if you have a
location (or just the street) to see what was there.







about photos from other
websites that appear on this page...


We've tried to give appropriate credit. Please
contact us if there are incorrect attributions, links that
no longer work or other issues. A link near each image will
direct you to a full size version on the website hosting it.
Assume that all the images are subject to copyright
restrictions. Contact the webmaster of the site in
question concerning reproduction or other use.


Atwater Theatre

3183 Glendale Blvd.
| map

Atwater Village (Los Angeles), CA   90039

Opened: Sometime prior to 1941. It was running at least into the mid-50s. The theatre was owned by Harry Owens, composer, bandleader and radio and TV performer.

In the 1930s he was music director at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel in Waikiki. Owens, a former vaudeville performer, was a leading exponent of Hawaiian music and achieved fame with his song "Sweet Leilani," Bing Crosby's first gold record and winner of a 1938 Academy Award. He and Crosby had met in 1926 while performing at the Club Lafayette in Los Angeles.

An ad reproduced on page 90 in the Arcadia Publishing book "Atwater Village" has a caption that notes "Owens decorated the theatre with beautiful murals of Hawaii that depicted mountains, waterfalls, and beach scenes. The carpets and stage curtains had bold tropical leaf and flower patterns."

Seating: 650

Status: Remodeled. The Pampered Birds store is in what used to be the lobby and booth. The auditorium is used as an artist's studio. The photo is a 2012 Google Maps view. Click on it to enlarge or visit the interactive version.

More Information: See the the Cinema Treasures page on the Atwater for what little there is. Thanks to Ken Roe and Stepwest for the research.  See the Wikipedia article on Harry Owens.

Cameo Theatre

4907 Huntington Dr.
North  | map

El Sereno (Los Angeles), CA   90032

Opened: 1924. It's in the 1926 city directory as the Cameo. It was an early acquisition of the Edwards circuit, perhaps around 1930. By the 70s is was a Spanish language house and renamed the El Cameo. The photo is a 2014 Google Maps view. Click on it to enlarge.

Seating: 750. Or maybe it was 816.

Architect: J.T. Payne designed the building. The cost was estimated at $35,000.

Status:
It's now a 99 cent store. Closing date as a theatre is unknown. It was running into the mid 70s.

More Information: See the Cinema Treasures page on the El Cameo. Ken Roe has a 2004 post on the page listing all the Edwards circuit theatres in 1950.  The Cinema Tour page has two recent exterior photos by Ken Roe.

    El Sereno Historical Society   



A 1971 look at the El Cameo running "The Incredible
Two Headed Transplant" and "Destroy All Monsters."
The photo, appearing on the Society website's home page,
 is credited to Lincoln Heights LA. Thanks to Jason Vega
 for finding it on the Historical Society's Facebook page.

Cinemaland Theatre

1021 N. Broadway
 

| map

Los Angeles, CA  90012

Opened: This building in Chinatown dates from 1962. It got a remodel in 1964, perhaps that was the addition for the theatre. In the 70s and 80s it was active as a home for films from Hong Kong, especially Golden Harvest product. The theatre was also known as the  Gum (Kim) Go Theatre and the Royal Pagoda Theatre.

The top photo is a Google Maps view from 2014. Click on it to enlarge or head to the current interactive version. The theatre entrance is on the right, up Cottage Home St.  The lower view (also a 2014 Google shot) looks south toward N. Broadway and gives us a look at the entrance and a bit of the auditorium's side wall. Click on it for a larger view.

Status: The building is now used for a garment manufacturing operation. The closure as a theatre was sometime prior to 2007.

More Information: See the Cinema Treasures page on the Cinemaland.

    Gary Graver   

Gary Graver (1938-2006) took many photos of  historic
theatres. More can be seen on YouTube in "Second Run - part 1"
and "Second Run - part 2." Thanks to Sean Graver for the photo.



A look at the Cinemaland entrance in the 80s.
 full size view

Daly Theatre

2604 N. Broadway

( @ Daly St. )
| map

Lincoln Heights (Los Angeles), CA   90031

Opened: 1911. It's in the 1912 through 1918 city directories as the Broadway Theatre. In a 1915 L.A. Times ad it was advertised as the North Broadway Theatre. In the 1921, 22, 23 & 1929 directories it's listed as the Lincoln Theatre

It's in the 1938 directory as the Daly Theatre and drops out of ads after 1947. The photo is a 2012 Google Maps view looking east on N. Broadway. Click on it to enlarge or head to Google for the interactive version.  Down the street a bit, the tall beige building in the center of the photo is the Starland Theatre at 2624 N. Broadway.

Architect:
A Mr. Borgmeir. The magazine Nickelodeon in December, 1910 notes that "Architect Borgmeir has drawn plans for a moving picture building at North Broadway and Daly Street. The building, which will cost $10,000, has been leased to Gore and Stearns."  The photo is a rear view of the building from Google in 2012 looking south on Daly St. toward N. Broadway.  Click on it for a larger view.

Status: There's now a 99 cent store in the remodeled building. One report on Cinema Treasures notes you can still see part of the balcony inside the store. But Joe Vogel says the theatre is actually gone, based on data from the Los Angeles City Planning Department which lists a construction date of 1968. Perhaps just a major remodel.

More Information: See the Cinema Treasures page on the Daly Theatre for data that Ken McIntyre and Joe Vogel have found in their researches. Thanks, gentlemen.

Division Theatre

2922 Division St. @ Ave. 30
  | map

Glassell Park (Los Angeles), CA   90065

Opened: Sometime around 1926. It's not in the 1926 city directory but does appear in the 1927 and 1929 editions. It doesn't seem to have been a success as it's not listed in the 1932 directory.  The building dates from 1925.

Status: It's now retail.  The photo is a 2012 Google Maps view. Click on it to enlarge or head to the latest interactive version.
 

Eagle Theatre

4884 Eagle Rock Blvd. (at Yosemite Dr.)    | map | 

Eagle Rock (Los Angeles), CA  90041  

Opened: May 10, 1929 as the Yosemite Theatre with two days of vaudeville shows. On May 12 the owners of the independent operation, J.T. Young and H.E. Allen, started running talkies.  The operation was soon acquired by John Sugar's Vox Theatres.

In 1937, after a remodeling (and a change of ownership to Venicoff Theatres) it was called the New Eagle Theatre. By 1940 it was just the Eagle Theatre. See the listing for the nearby Sierra Theatre which at one point was also called the Eagle.

From 1976 until 1979 it was run by Walnut Properties, operators of the Pussycat chain. It got a marquee and interior upgrade but as a Pussycat it ran into problems with raids and community opposition. Programing flipped back and forth between family and porno fare. As did signage between Eagle and Pussycat. In 1983 it got another remodel and re-emerged as the Eagle, an independent film theatre.

Architect: Kenneth A. Gordon (of the firm J.H. Woodworth and Son) designed the Mediterranean style building. The seating area was said to appear as if you were in a patio surrounded by gardens. It had a blue sky dome and murals depicting the California countryside behind grilles along the side walls.

Seating: 900 originally, later down to 800.

Status:  It closed as a  film theatre in 2000. It had occasional art and live performance events afterward. It's now a church.

More Information: See the Cinema Treasures page on the Eagle for lots of fine research by Ken Roe and other contributors. Cinema Tour has a small photo of the theatre of the Eagle as a live venue on their California page 12.

    American Classic Images   

www.americanclassicimages.com



A 1983 look at the Eagle in the
American Classic Images collection.
full size view | on Photos of Los Angeles

    Cezar Del Valle - Theatre Talks   

www.theatretalks.com



A 2002 photo of the then closed theatre by Betty
Sword from Cezar Del Valle's Theatre Talks collection.
 full size view | on FB/LATheatres

The photo above also appears
 uncredited on Photos of Los Angeles.

    Historypin   

www.historypin.org



A 1929 photo from the Eagle Rock Advertiser showing
the banner for the grand opening. It was vaudeville May 10
and 11 and then talking pictures May 12. The Occidental
College Archives posted the item.


"A Home Institution"  A 1930 item from the Eagle Rock
 Sentinel. The show is Colleen Moore in "Footlights and
 Fools," a November 1929 Vitaphone release.
full size view | on Historypin




A 1940 photo from the Occidental College
Archives with the theatre running "It's All
 Yours" and "Captains Courageous."

Thanks to Mr. Ethereal Reality who found these Historypin
items for his Noirish Los Angeles post #23876.

    Los Angeles Public Library   

www.lapl.org


A 1972 photo of the Eagle running
 "The Hot Rock" and "Butch Cassidy."
full size view

    Noirish Los Angeles   

skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread



A lovely view north on Eagle Rock Blvd. from Yosemite
 Drive in the 50s. Our theatre? Well, just a bit of the marquee
 on the far right. Thanks to Mr. Ethereal Reality who found the
 photo on eBay and posted it on Noirish Los Angeles.
Thanks to James Staub for this
2015 look at the Eagle Theatre.


    Don Solosan for LAHTF    

www.lahtf.org | Facebook group page | official FB page



A c.2010 look at the Eagle Theatre, part of a survey
of surviving vintage theatre buildings Don did for the
 Los Angeles Historic Theatre Foundation.
 full size view


El Sereno Theatre

Huntington Dr. North

El Sereno (Los Angeles), CA   90032

All that is known about this one is in the statement on the home page of the El Sereno Historical Society website: A one-story theatre and brick store building, erected on Huntington Drive in 1922, was designed by architect A. Godfrey Bailey."

As for the name, that "El Sereno Theatre" in the heading is just a placeholder until more information surfaces.  Also see the Mazatlan Theatre, which initiallly was called the El Sereno.

Federal Theatre

2211 N. Broadway  | map

Lincoln Heights (Los Angeles), CA   90031

All that seems to be known about this one is that it was running in 1914. The Federal appears in a 1914 L.A. Times ad that Jeff Bridges (Vokobon) has on Flickr.

Fox Arroyo Theatre

3232 - 3236 N. Figueroa St.

Los Angeles, CA   90065   | map

Opened: The City of Los Angeles Planning Department's website gives a 1928 date for the building.

It's been called the Arroyo and the Fox Arroyo. In the 1939 city directory it was listed as the Arroyo Seco.

Seating: 963 seats.

Status: It's been closed since the 50s and is mostly used for storage. There's been a restaurant in the lobby in recent years. The photo here is a 2010 view by Bill Counter. Click on it to enlarge.

More information: See the Cinema Treasures page on the Fox Arroyo for more information. Bill Gabel has included a lobby photo.  Ethereal Reality has some terrific facade views on his Noirish Los Angeles post #13935.

    You Are Here   



A nice facade view of the Fox Arroyo. 
full size view

Franklin Theatre

5502 N. Figueroa St.
(@ Ave. 55)
| map |

Highland Park (Los Angeles), CA 90042

Opened: 1936 as the Hughes Theatre. It was a conversion of a building constructed in 1922 and first used as an auto dealership and garage. The photo is a 2009 Google Maps view. Click on it to enlarge or head to the current interactive version.

A new owner, E.H. Rose, converted the building into a market in 1934 and then, in 1936, to a theatre. As a theatre it once had a fancy parapet and tower, which it lost in the early 90s. It's unknown when it became called the Franklin -- possibly as early as 1937. By 1938 Kurt Laemmle, a co-founder of the Laemmle circuit, was running the theatre.

The use of the names Hughes and, later, Franklin suggests the involvement of the Hughes-Franklin circuit a short lived early 30s combine of Howard Hughes and Harold B. Franklin, formerly of Fox West Coast. They decided, after signing a bunch of leases, the the depression was only deepening in 1930-31 and called it a day. The circuit was long gone before this theatre opened so the use of the two names may just be coincidental. Franklin High School, a possible inspiration for the name, is just six blocks north up Ave. 54.

Architect:  Lyle N. Barcume did the theatre conversion.       Seating: 895

Status: Under its later name, the Franklin, it ran until 1952. The building is now used for retail and industrial purposes. There's none of the original decor left.

More Information: See the Cinema Treasures page on the Franklin Theatre for nice research by MRY886, Joe Vogel and other contributors.

Glassell Theatre

3526 Eagle Rock Blvd. (@ Ave. 35) | map

Glassell Park (Los Angeles), CA   90065

Opened: Sometime around 1927. It's not in the 1926 city directory but is listed in both the 1927 and 1929 city directories as being at 3526 Glassell Ave. The street got renamed and in the 1932 and 1936 directories it's listed with the 3526 Eagle Rock Blvd. address. It's in the 1942 directory as the Dale Theatre. The Dale was a Laemmle operation, evidently running until at least 1951. The Laemmles also had the Franklin and Park theatres in Highland Park.

Status: It's now a parking lot next to a hardware store, a building that dates from 1939.

More Information: Wikipedia has an article on the Glassell Park neighborhood.

    Sean Ault Archives   


A c.1950 look at the Glassell, here renamed the
Dale Theatre. The marquee says "For Sale or Rent."
Thanks to Sean Ault for the photo from his collection.
full size view

Granada  Theatre

1044 W. Temple St.     | map | 

Los Angeles
, CA  90012  

Opened:  Around 1914 as the Owl Theatre.  It's in the 1914 through 1922 city directories as the Owl. In the 1915 directory there's a listing at this address for W H Mansdorfer as the proprietor. In a 1923 Paramount ad it's listed as the Owl --  and still the Owl in the 1929 and 1932 directories. 

The book "Theatres in Los Angeles" notes that the management sued the City of Los Angeles in 1929 over the fact that building alterations necessitated by the widening of Temple St. would cost them 155 seats. It's unknown when it got renamed. It shows up as the Granada in the 1936 directory. It was always an independently operated theatre. In the 50s it was run by Harold Wenzler, who also had the Lux Theatre (827 W. 3rd) and the Oaks Theatre in Pasadena.

Seating: 520        Status: Demolished. The site is now a parking lot.

More Information: See the Cinema Treasures page on the Granada. Also see the 1914 ad listing the theatre in Jeff Bridges' Flickr album.

The Granada on TV:  Cop show detective Walter Simard spotted the Granada on the 1963-64 "Fugitive" episode "Search in a Windy City."



The Granada on Temple c.1963. We also see the
Temple Medical Building (1048 Temple) and the
White Star Cleaners & Dyers (1034 Temple).
larger view

The episode is on YouTube. Our rendezvous at the
Granada is about 4 and 1/2 minutes into the episode.

Other Granada Theatres: Our San Pedro / Wilmington page has a listing for the Granada in Wilmington. The Hollywood Theatres site has a page on the Granada at 7425 W. Sunset -- later called the Oriental. And there was a Walter Reade operated venue at 9000 W. Sunset in the 60s and 70s called the Granada.

Inglewood had a Granada on Market St., later the site of the Fox Inglewood. The photo on page 37 of the Arcadia Publishing book "Theatres in Los Angeles" identified as the Granada on Temple is actually the Granada in Inglewood.

Highland Theatre

5604 N. Figueroa St.
  | map |

Highland Park (Los Angeles), CA 90042

Opened: March 5, 1925 with a personal appearance from Norma Shearer. The building was built for Clyde M. Church, a local banker. 

Architect: Lewis A. Smith. The Highland had a Moorish interior and much of the decor in the balcony area remains intact.

Seating: Originally 1,432 seats as a single screen theatre.

Status: It was operated for years by Fox West Coast Theatres. In 1983 it was  triplexed with 3 theatres on the main floor. The balcony is used just for storage. It offers first run films at bargain prices.

More Information: See our page on the Highland Theatre.

Highland Park Theatre

5630 N. Figueroa St.
  | map |

Highland Park (Los Angeles), CA 90042

Opened: All we know is that it was listed in the 1914 city directory with an address of 5630 Pasadena Ave. The street was later renamed N. Figueroa. 

The address today is a storefront down the block from the Highland Theatre -- 5630 is the first brick storefront on the left. The building evidently dates from 1908. The Google Maps photo is from 2014. Click on it to enlarge or head to the current interactive version.

Kim Sing Theatre

722 N. Figueroa St.

(@ Alpine St.)
| map

Los Angeles, CA   90012

Opened:  The theatre opened in 1926 as the Alpine Theatre, a neighborhood film house. It's in the 1926 city directory at 826 Alpine. Some years it was listed as at 834 Alpine. Cinema Treasures researcher Joe Vogel found the February 29, 1936 issue of Motion Picture Herald mentioning that the theatre, which had been closed, would be reopened by D.F. Lyon. It's still listed as the Alpine as late as 1938. 

In the 1939 and 1942 directories it's listed as the Carmen Theatre at 722 N. Figueroa.  In the 70s and 80s as the Kim Sing it showed Chinese films with English subtitles, many from Hong Kong and lots from the Shaw Brothers. The photo above is a 2011 Google Maps view. Click on it to enlarge or head to the interactive version.

Seating: 410 originally

Status:  Currently offered sale for $4.5 million. Curbed L.A. ran a March 2014 story with lots of terrific shots. Many additional photos are on the website of the broker, David Kean. The exterior and its neon got a restoration around 2005. The theatre spaces were converted at that time (by XTen Architects) into an events center, showroom and residence for the furniture and fashion interests of Willard Ford.

One of the four Figueroa side storefronts is now a gym, Strong Sports. Ford purchased the building in 1999. His company, Flagship, is headquartered there. The theatre hosts exhibitions, commercial events and parties.

More Information: See the Cinema Treasures page on the Kim Sing for research by Joe Vogel and other contributors. An L.A. Times story (with photos) about the Kim Sing Theatre, "Reel Living," appeared in the October 1, 2006, issue of their magazine "West." L.A. I'm Yours did a 2013 profile of Willard Ford. A blog post on Los Angeles Revisited has many comments about moviegoing at the Kim Sing.

    American Classic Images   

www.americanclassicimages.com



A 1982 look at the theatre when it was a Chinese film house.
 full size view | on Photos of Los Angeles

    Los Angeles Public Library   

www.lapl.org


A c.1990 look at the theatre.
full size view

    Photos of Los Angeles   

facebook.com/groups/244565982234863



An undated pre-renovation shot of the
 theatre from Ken McIntyre's collection.
full size view | on FB/LATheatres

Also on Photos of Los Angeles:
  | view from the side | a night view |

    Yelp   

www.yelp.com/biz/kim-sing-theatre


A courtyard view from the Yelp page on the Kim Sing.

An interior shot. The site has 10 more views.
full size view


    You Are Here   

www.you-are-here.com/theatre/index.html



A night photo by Martin of the Kim Sing's neon.
full size view  | daytime shot

The night view also appears on Photos of Los Angeles.

King Hing Theatre

649 N. Spring St.

| map

Los Angeles, CA   90012

Website: redcarltd.com

The News: Red Car Properties is bringing the theatre back to life as a venue for special presentations, filming or other short term rentals. For information contact Mike at mk@redcarltd.com. Curbed L.A. had a January 2017 story about Red Car's planned redevelopment of the site. Not mentioned were what the plans are going to be for the theatre itself. 

Opened: Around 1963. Prior to being the King Hing, it was called the Sing Lee Theatre. The photo is a Google Maps 2014 view. Click on it to enlarge or head to the current interactive version. We're looking south on Spring toward Cezar Chavez Ave. Yes, that's a bit of the top of City Hall in the distance. On the right of the photo we see auditorium of the theatre sprawling off toward New High St.

Seating: 425

Status: Now a venue for short term rentals and special events managed by Red Car Properties. It closed as a film house in 1996. No, Quentin Tarantino isn't going to buy it. That rumor was circulating in 2003 but nothing happened. At the time, many Chinese films were stored in the theatre and that library was going to be part of the deal. The L.A. Downtown News ran a 2003 story on "The King Hing Thing."

More Information: See the Cinema Treasures page on the King Hing Theatre.  For more interior views, see Sandi Hemmerlein's 2016 photo essay "A Dormant Chinatown Theatre Wakes Up To Dance."

    Los Angeles Revisited   

losangelesrevisited.blogspot.com



A look north on Spring toward the theatre when it was the
 Sing Lee in the 60s. It appears on a fine Los Angeles Revisited
blog post about the History of Chinatown by Elizabeth Uyeda. The
photo is from the Seaver Center for Western History Research.

    Ken McIntyre   

A 2009 look at the King Hing's entrance. Thanks, Ken!
Also see:
A look toward the screen of the long-dormant
theatre. Red Car is now managing the facility.
A view to the rear of the house. Sorry, no larger view
A look at the lobby on the Red Car website. Again,
this is as big as it gets. See their page for two more
 lobby shots and some exterior views.
the Red Car page

Knightsbridge Theatre

1944 Riverside Dr.   | map

Elysian Park (Los Angeles), CA   90039

Website: www.knightsbridgetheatre.com

Opened: Sometime around 1927. The City Planning Department website, ZIMAS, shows a 1927 construction date. There is no 1927 city directory listing. In the 1929 city directory it's listed as the Riverside Theatre. It was later named the Elysian and in 1948 it was the New Elysian. By 1950 they had dropped the "new" from their ads.

Seating: 525 originally

It was called the Studio Theatre Playhouse at least from 1966 onward.  It became known as the Colony or Colony Studio Playhouse when the Colony Theatre Co. was in residence from 1975 through 2000. In a 1992 L.A. Times article, the company was profiled as just using part of the building in a 99 seat configuration. In 2000 it was referred to as the Colony Studio Theatre, and at that time the Colony group was moving to Burbank.

Status: It's now a legit playhouse for the Knightsbridge Theatre. Formerly in Pasadena, the company has had the venue since 2000.

More Information: See the Cinema Treasures page on the Knightsbridge. Cinema Tour has a 2002 photo of the exterior. The theatre gets a bit of discussion by contributor Ethereal Reality on Noirish Los Angeles post #5838 and post #5841.

    Photos of Los Angeles   

Ken McIntyre discovered this 1948 view
of the theatre, as the New Elysian.
 full size view | on FB/LATheatres

    Don Solosan for LAHTF    

www.lahtf.org | Facebook group page | official FB page


A c.2010 view of the Knightsbridge exterior by
Don Solosan for the Los Angeles Historic Theatre
Foundation. You can see a bit of the original auditorium
space at left, behind the commercial building.
Also by Mr. Solosan:


 Mazatlan Theatre

3355 N. Eastern
Ave.
  | map |

El Sereno (Los Angeles)
, CA 90032

Opened: 1940 or 1941 as the El Sereno Theatre.  It was renamed the Mazatlan in its Spanish language film days.  In 1951 it was a church called the Film Pulpit.

Later it was an American Legion lodge hall and, following that, was a music venue until 2002.  It has subsequently been used for banquets and other rentals.  The photo here is a June 2012 Google Maps view looking south on Eastern from Huntington. Click on it to enlarge or head to Google for an interactive version.

In 2012 the De Anda family that has owned it for decades was trying to raise money to turn it into a community center. EGP news has a 2012 story about their failed fundraising attempts and the descent into foreclosure. The family bought the building in 1982 -- it also housed their construction business.  EastsiderLA also ran a 2012 story.  It's sometimes called Mazatlan Hall.

Seating: 754 seats            Architect: Unknown

Status: Now offices and shop space with an occasional rental for the auditorium. The future is unknown.

More information: See the Cinema Treasures page on the Mazatlan. The Cinema Tour page on the Mazatlan has two exterior views. Debra Jane Seltzer has a Mazatlan exterior photo on her Agility Nut LA Theatres section page 2. Jericl Cat has a 2007 view on Flickr.

Escott O. Norton has a facade view in his Old Sign Art collection on Facebook
Mazatlan Hall has a Facebook page with a few photos but seems unconnected to the building itself. The The El Sereno Historical Society has a page with many vintage photos of the neighborhood.

    Los Angeles Public Library   

www.lapl.org



A 1941 shot at Huntington Dr. and Eastern from
the Library's Blackstock Negative Collection. That's
the Mazatlan, here called the El Sereno, over
 on the left. Admission is 15 cents.
full size view

    Corey Miller on Flickr    

www.flickr.com/photos/toomuchfire


A 2009 view of the Mazatlan by Corey Miller.
full size view | on FB/LATheatres

The photo is part of Corey's Theatre Signs set.

    Don Solosan for LAHTF    

www.lahtf.org | Facebook group page | official FB page

A c.2010 look at the Mazatlan facade.
full size view

Another facade shot.
full size view

A marquee detail.
full size view


Park Theatre

5825 N. Figueroa St.
  | map |

Highland Park (Los Angeles), CA 90042

Opened: May 29, 1936 with "These Three" and "The Return of Jimmy Valentine." When the theatre opened this stretch of Figueroa was called Pasadena Ave. The Park was built by David L. Cantor who had recently moved to Highland Park after selling his theatres in Washington State.  The cost was $50,000.

Architect:   Unknown          Seating: 620

Status: The theatre closed in 1963 and the space was turned into retail use. There was an arson fire in 1990. The structure was rebuilt but only a wall or two of the original building remains. It's now a Dollar Tree store. The photo is a 2014 Google Maps view looking south on Figueroa. Click on it to enlarge or head to the interactive version.

More information: See the Cinema Treasures page on the Park Theatre for some nice research by Joe Vogel. 

    Los Angeles Public Library   



The closure of the Park was announced in the May 19, 1963
 issue of the Highland Park News-Herald. Thanks to Joe Vogel
 for locating the article, which gives a fine history of the Park
 and mentions the other theatres nearby.
full article - pdf

San Carlos Theatre

2917 N. Main St.   | map

Lincoln Heights (Los Angeles), CA   90031

Opened:  July 2, 1926 as an operation of West Coast Theatres. The first film was "Sweet Daddies" starring Charles Murray and George Sidney. The stage portion of the opening program featured Billy Dooley and Frances Lee.  In the 1939 city directory it's still listed as the San Carlos. In a December 1940 L.A. Times ad they're calling it the New Lincoln Theatre. Evidently that name wasn't used long -- although it's still listed that way in the 1942 city directory.

It's back to the San Carlos name in ads in December 1941, Spring 1942, and a Boxoffice mention in December 1944.

Architect: Lewis A. Smith. The building has retail spaces adjacent to the theatre entrance and apartments above. See our LATheatres.blogspot posts for information on a few more by the prolific Mr. Smith.

Seating: !,100 was the capacity announced in a story the day before opening -- 734 was the count much later.

A great flyer for "Underworld," a summer 1927 silent
release directed by Josef von Sternberg for Paramount.
Thanks to Sean Ault for spotting it and sending it our way.
full size view



"'Underworld' is here and will turn Lincoln Heights upside
down! It's the best ever at the San Carlos Theatre."
full size view

Status:  The building is still there. It was running as a theatre into the 1950s but the date of closure isn't known. It's since been used as a church with some areas of the back of the theatre used as shop space and for garment manufacturing.

More information: See the Cinema Treasures page on the San Carlos for a news account of the theatre's opening and more. The Silent Film Still Archive has a 1927 program for the San Carlos.

    Charmaine Zoe's Marvelous Melange    


A 1930 look at the San Carlos with
kids assembling for a matinee.
full size view | on Flickr

The photo from a trade magazine appears in Ms. Zoe's
 Vintage Cinemas California set as well as in her amazing
 Theatres: Stage and Movie set.  Thanks, Charmaine!

    Don Solosan for LAHTF    

A c.2010 look at the building by Mr. Solosan.
full size view

Sierra Theatre

5058 Eagle Rock Blvd.   | map

Eagle Rock (Los Angeles), CA   90041

Opened: 1922 as the United Theatre. On Cinema Treasures Joe Vogel notes a 1922 announcement for a brick theatre building at 112-114 S. Central St. in Eagle Rock. The town was incorporated into L.A. in 1923 with Central St. becoming Eagle Rock Blvd.

In 1926 the theatre was purchased by John Sugar of Vox Theatres who also had the York Theatre in Highland Park. Joe Vogel notes that an L.A. Times article on the sale called it the Eagle Rock Theatre. In the 1927 directory it's still the United.

In 1929 it was in the city directory as the Eagle Theatre at 5060 Eagle Rock Blvd. Mr. Sugar eventually ended up with the other Eagle Theatre down the street (formerly the Yosemite) as well.  It's unknown when this one got renamed the Sierra.

Seating: 503     Status: Survived into the 50s, now demolished.

More information: See the Cinema Treasures page on the Sierra for all Joe Vogel's fine research.  The Metro Transportation Archive on Flickr has a 1955 view looking north toward the Sierra, taken from farther south than the one below.

    Sean Ault Archives by Osiris Press   


A 1955 look north on Eagle Rock Blvd. from Sean Ault's
 amazing collection. The Sierra is over on the right. 
full size view | on FB/LATheatres




A detail from the photo above. The Sierra is
running a great triple bill of "The Black Cat," "Revenge
of the Creature" and "Ma and Pa Kettle at Waikiki."
larger view

Thanks to Sean Ault, renowned L.A. transit
 historian.  You can see many more items from
Sean's Osiris Press transit archive on YouTube.

 Starland Theatre

2624 N. Broadway

| map |

Lincoln Heights (Los Angeles), CA 90031

Opened: 1913. Construction was announced in September 1912. Possibly it was called the Globe Theatre when it opened as the first lessee was the short-lived circuit Globe Amusement Co. It's in the 1914 city directory as the Standard Theatre, perhaps a typo, perhaps not.

In the 1915 through 1923 directories it's listed as the Starland Theatre. In the 1929 directory the address shows up as as 2622 N. Broadway. Nearby at 2604 is the Daly Theatre.

At some point the lovely original facade with a dome on top got replaced with the deco version still on the building. Ken McIntyre notes that in 1936 they're advertising it as the New Starland, so perhaps the remodel dates from around that time. The photo here is a 2012 Google Maps view. Click on it to enlarge or head to the interactive version on Google.

Seating: 850    

Architect:
George B. Campbell.  Joe Vogel on Cinema Treasures reports: "I believe that George B. Campbell, designer of the Starland Theatre, was an in-house architect for the Huntington Land & Improvement Company. Campbell’s office address was 744 Pacific Electric Building, and I’ve found that the seventh floor of the PE Building was also the location of the Huntington Land & Improvement Company’s offices."    

Status:
  It's currently retail. The theatre was closed by 1968 and was converted around that time.

More information: See the Cinema Treasures page on the Starland. The theatre gets a 2009 story in on L.A. Eastside which also includes terrazzo pictures. Tony/dedalus1947 also has a photo of the Starland's terrazzo on Flickr.

    Laurie Avocado on Flickr   

flickr.com/photos/auntylaurie/tags/losangeles


Laurie gives us a great 2010 photo of
the Starland's deco terrazzo pattern.
full size view | on FB/LATheatres

    Cinema Treasures   

These two rare photos of the original facade of the
Starland appear on the Cinema Treasures page, a
contribution of Charmaine Zoe.  It appears we're
  relamping the lighted orb atop the theatre's dome.
larger views | on FB/LATheatres



Charmaine also has the shots on Flickr
where she puts a 1930 date on the photos.


    Lincoln Heights Remembered   

facebook.com/lincolnheightsla | www.lincolnheightsla.com



An undated "closed for alterations" photo
 of the Starland on Lincoln Heights Remembered.

Thanks to Patsy Cuervo for adding it to the Photos of Los Angeles
collection. And to Jason Vega for spotting it!

    Noirish Los Angeles   

skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread


A lovely 1919 photo, perhaps of the Starland. Thanks to Ethereal Reality,
who found it on eBay and put it in his Noirish Los Angeles post #25389.
 They're running an episode from "The Lion Man," a 1919 serial. In his
post #25392 he notes that the feature they're running was a
John Ford film "Prince of Avenue A."

The photo was labeled "Grand Theater. Los Angeles" but it matches
 no theatre known to be called the Grand. It may be the Starland -- but
all we have to go on are the two fuzzy c.1930 photos seen above
from Charmaine Zoe on Cinema Treasures.

Another possibility, suggested by Palmero in his Noirish post #25405,
 is that it's the Holly Theatre, 1624 W. Sunset Blvd. in Echo Park. That
theatre opened as the Globe in 1912 and in 1919 would have been called
Jensen's Theatorium. The only thing we have to go on there is one drawing
showing a very similar arched entry, a dome, and an orb on top. That both
theatres are very similar is no coincidence: upon opening they were
 both operated by Globe Amusement Co.

    You Are Here   



A look at the facade of the Starland Theatre. Martin's
 page gives the dates 1912-1968 for the theatre.
full size view

Sunbeam Theatre

5722 N. Figueroa
St.
 
| map

Highland Park (Los Angeles), CA  90042

Opened:  1914.  It's listed in the 1916 through 1923 city directories as being at 5722 N. Pasadena Ave., a former name for N. Figueroa St.. The theatre was purchased by the owners of the Highland Theatre and closed in 1925 so it wouldn't be competition. The photo is a 2012 Google Maps view looking south on Figueroa. Click on it for a larger view or head to Google for the interactive version.

The building later served as offices for the Highland Park News Herald. Joe Vogel on Cinema Treasures notes that a remodel of the former theatre by Clifford Balch was announced in 1933, perhaps on the occasion of the paper's taking over the building. In the 1980s it was used by a repertory company and called the Outback Theatre.

Architect:  A. Lawrence Valk      Seating: 1,296

Status: It's been remodeled and is now used for retail. 

More information:  See the Cinema Treasures page on the Sunbeam for a bit more history.  KCET has a page on the Highland Park business district featuring one of the LAPL photos as well as an article.

GS Jansen has a then and now comparison on Flickr using the LAPL facade view.  Ken McIntyre has a 2008 photo of the building.

    Los Angeles Public Library   

An amazing array of facade styles is featured in this
c.1920 photo. That's the Sunbeam on the far left.
full size view




Usually it was dishes. Or a car. But in this undated view
 the theatre is giving away a cow to some lucky ticket holder.
.full size view

 York Theatre

4949 York Blvd. (@ Ave. 50)  | map |

Highland Park (Los Angeles), CA 90042

Opened: 1923.  It's listed at 4951 York Blvd. in the 1929 directory

Architect:  Unknown        Seating: 700

Status: It's been a Korean church since 1985.

More information:  See the Cinema Treasures page on the York Theatre.

    Sean Ault Archives by Osiris Press   



We're looking west on York Blvd. and behind the trolley
we get a 50s view of the York's roof sign. It's a photo from
Sean Ault's extensive collection of photos revolving
 around Los Angeles transit. Thanks, Sean!
full size view | on FB/LATheatres

The photo above also appears on the Tom Wetzel
Uncanny page about the W trolley line.

    Waltarrrrr on Flickr   

www.flickr.com/photos/waltarrrrr


Thanks to Waltarrr for this 2007 look at the
York Theatre. Our photographer noted that the building
 this side of the theatre used to be the local roller rink.
  full size view

Also by Waltarrr: