Department of Zoning
Please contact the Department of Zoning for your zoning and permit questions.
A zoning permit application is attached below
200 S. Ninth, Room 213
Springfield, IL 62701
Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Permits are required for the following types of work:
- All new construction on structures over 120 sq ft residential and commercial
- All remodels and additions to existing structures residential and commercial
- The demolition of structures both residential and commercial
- All electrical wiring where new wire is installed
- The removal and installation of heating and air conditioning equipment
- Swimming pools above ground and in-ground and, hot tubs
- Roofing– re-roof and tear offs
- Wind generators, and Photo voltaic systems
- Telecommunication towers
A change of occupancy permit is needed when the use of the occupied structure changes
- Completed inspections and a Certificate of Occupancy is required before occupancy can be granted.
- Pursuant to Illinois Compiled Statutes commercial projects require a set of signed and sealed drawings from an Illinois Licensed Design Professional.
- Pursuant to Illinois Compiled Statutes commercial plans must be submitted according to the Illinois Architectural Practice Act of 1989, the Illinois Professional Land Surveyors Act of 1989, the Illinois Professional Engineering Practice Act of 1989, and the Illinois Structural Engineering Licensing Act of 1989.
- Residential plans must include floor, roof, and foundation drawings.